Verbally harassed for using the word Ketogenic

(Amanda Burton) #1

So, the other day, I had a run-in with a group of people hell-bent on shaming me for using the word Ketogenic in a Facebook group post. As it was a parenting group claiming to support scientific, evidence-based topics only, it caught me completely by surprise when a comment I made created such a backlash.

I wasn’t even promoting the WOE but I was instead trying to advocate for a little understanding between family members who “research” online and come up with very differing information. Because the OP referenced the dietary restrictions (some of which were keto and some of which weren’t) in regards to autism spectrum disorder, I did state that there is some support of the Ketogenic WOE for people with ASD and perhaps this could be the root of the disagreement. At this point I was ridiculed as a “newb” who clearly believed in pseudo-science, berated for posting a second clarifying post (emphasizing that I was not advocating a dietary change, but addressing the main concern of other family members “parenting” when not asked) and specifically named as someone to be banned from the group.

Needless to say, I was a bit rattled thinking I had found a parenting group where I could find support and instead being belittled and accused of buying into pseudo-science. I immediately removed myself from that group (as I do not need that negativity) and felt the need to reconnect here on the forums. Has anyone else had to deal with this type of bullying online or IRL?

Ha! Join the club!

You are not alone in that.

But, don’t be discouraged. You did the right thing from removing yourself from the group. It is wise to gauge the situation and determine which conflicts are worth your time or not. Groups that allow discussion and reflection are good to coach ketogenic woe…otherwise, the other groups with stubborn bullies are not.

(Amanda Burton) #4

I will have to do some digging, as it is a topic I have only recently been researching and have not saved links or anything. In the context of my post in the parenting group, I simply stated that I had seen support for it and that the OP’s family member may have come across this information​ as well and that I had come to keto for a completely different issue. I will post links this week when I get a chance.

(joseph) #5

it seems like anything else there are purists and neophytes everywhere which is fine, that’s their thing. But to flame someone for an open opinion on a wide subject that people arrive at from so many angles in life is too much. others are right to just back out of the group and leave them to themselves. keto on !! :slight_smile:

Just try googling “Autism low carb” It came up with a lot of resources both organisations that promote ketogenic diet as a treatment and research papers.
I thought you might enjoy this one: The Charlie Foundation

(Amanda Burton) #7

Thank you! Of all of the reading I have done and my husband has done over the past 10 months, I know we had come across information other than parental, anecdotal evidence. Where we came across it, however, is another story.

Recently, my research has been quite limited. I am a stay-at-home-parent and my two children with confirmed low muscle tone and sensory processing difficulties have been the most difficult to feed. My 3rd and oldest child is being evaluated next week for sensory issues as well. At least she already enjoys our “keto foods!”

Sounds like you have more than your share of challenges. I hope you have good people around you that can support you and offer you some practical help (sometimes its awesome to have someone do the dishes or wash the floors), so you can also take care of you and your marriage. Sending you my warmest thoughts.

(VLC.MD) #9

@Amanda_Burton … Looks like another #KetoShaming victim. Remember people are trying to help. Dazzle them with follow through and results !!