Velveeta and eggs?

(Marianne) #1

Does anyone use Velveeta cheese to make a cheese sauce. I know it is highly processed, but is it “okay” to use in recipes. It melts better than any “real” cheese. Also, is it okay to eat 3-6 eggs a day? I think this many eggs is okay but am second guessing myself.

(Robin) #2

I often eat a lot of eggs. I just looked at Jeff’s Velveeta. In moderation, it looks okay-ish.

I have been eating 7-8 eggs on average for more than a decade, I was quite fine but IDK if there are people who more sensitive but not sensitive enough to need to avoid eggs completely…?

IDK what Velveeta is but I probably wouldn’t touch it, it’s just me, of course, I don’t even need melting cheese and am happy with my normal one in small amounts. I need cheese that stays in the bread sticks I make for my SO sometimes (one of the few possible transportable breakfasts for him) and I have problems to find those if I have any other conditions and of course I have those… Sometimes I wonder if it’s possible to make my own grill cheese… But it never was important enough to try. But I digress.

(Pete A) #4

I eat 3 eggs a day, in a pinch, more. I’m pro egg.

I wouldn’t eat Velveeta, but a small portion of it wouldn’t do much harm as far as carbs…

Lots of other great real cheese out there!

(Geoffrey) #5

3-6 eggs a day is just the start of a decent meal. Totally fine unless you have a histamine response to the whites.
I used to use velveeta all of the time for sauces and queso but I’ll never touch it again now that I’m carnivore. It’s so processed it’s not even considered cheese. It’s not even food in my book. Of course it all depends on where you’re at in your lifestyle. If you’re diet is more relaxed than mine and it doesn’t affect you then go for it.
On the other hand, sauces that are made with real cheese are so much better.

(Robin) #6

Agree… but when I made/ate Mac-N-Cheese or Grilled Cheese sandwiches, it was Velveeta all the way, baby! If I was just counting carbs, I would not lose any sleep over enjoying it!

(Marianne) #7

Yeah, I’m thinking that, too (actually I am sure of it). It’s pretty telling when something doesn’t have to be refrigerated. Didn’t look at the ingredients, but I’m sure it’s all bad oil and chemicals. Oh well, I’ll use it sparingly in soups and sauces.

(Marianne) #8

Thanks, Robin. The carbs are pretty negligible for how I’m using it. Trying to convince myself I can use it when I know it’s an ultra-processed “food.” As you say, I’ll do it sparingly and not sweat it. It’s really the only questionable thing I consume.

(KM) #9

Velveeta: SKIM MILK, MILK, CANOLA OIL, MILK PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, SODIUM PHOSPHATE, CONTAINS LESS THAN 2% OF MODIFIED FOOD STARCH, WHEY PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, MALTODEXTRIN, WHEY, SALT, CALCIUM PHOSPHATE, LACTIC ACID, SORBIC ACID AS A PRESERVATIVE, MILKFAT, SODIUM ALGINATE, SODIUM CITRATE, ENZYMES, APOCAROTENAL AND ANNATTO (COLOR), CHEESE CULTURE, VITAMIN A PALMITATE.

Cheese: Pasteurized milk, cheese cultures, salt, enzymes.

I think I’ll take lumpy cheese sauce for the win. :grin:

(Marianne) #10

Of course, I know you’re right - but, dude, soup?
:sob::sob::sob:

(KM) #11

The secret to cheese sauce and soup with real cheese in it is to start with butter and cream.

(Robin) #12

Oh, good to know! Never heard that!

(Bob M) #13

The problem is it’s often hard to match/beat processed food things, like valveeta. I was buying some coconut macaroons that had chocolate drizzled on them. I have tried to replicate the same taste, but can’t. I’ve come close, but I can’t get the same level of crunchy on the outside, moist on the inside, that they have. (And I realized I can’t make these that often – I eat too many of them.) The moist part is particularly difficult, though I also am not using real sugar/whatever they use and instead am using allulose and other fake sugars.

Processed food really is processed to make them taste and act better.

Milk, Whey, gums, colorings, preservatives etc. It’s just CheezeWiz in brick form. Mexican blend cheese is usually very thin and melts on eggs awesome!

(Laurie) #15

I think it was America’s Test Kitchen that found the emulsifiers added to american cheese helped keep cheese sauces smooth. Deli American cheese is closer to real cheese than Velveeta, so maybe a better option ??

I’ve found that if you melt some raw cocoa butter and mix it in with the melted chocolate it gets crunchy.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #17

Sounds yummy!

Put the chocolate into the cheese sauce, and then you’d have crunchy chocolate cheese–a win for everybody! (Though no longer carnivore, alas!)