Vegan Diets are the healthiest, according to new study

(Todd Allen) #81

I somewhat agree but don’t think eating keto is much more of a risk factor than following any other dietary practice or eating mindlessly following no practice at all. Nutritional deficiencies are common. A large fraction of the population is magnesium deficient, a large fraction is potassium deficient, a large fraction is vitamin E deficient, etc. There are many identified essential and conditionally essential nutrients so the odds are good that most everyone is deficient in one or more. Governments have recognized the problem and addressed some of the most common acute deficiencies through food fortification programs such as iodized salt, vitamin A & D milk, flours with riboflavin, niacin, folic acid and iron, etc. Multi-vitamin and mineral supplements are very popular because of widespread recognition of the problem. Unfortunately most studies find the practice of little to no value. I think in part due to supplements often being composed of very stable vitamin precursors or forms of minerals such as oxides that have poor bioavailability, especially by those in poor health. Ratios also matter, a diet with too much copper and too little zinc may not be much improved by high doses of each in a supplement, especially considering there is a rate limited absorption of zinc so it is best gotten in moderate amounts at each meal versus a big dose in a pill.

Restrictive diets can increase deficiency risks. But keto is very flexible only restricting sugars, starches and other forms of digestible carbohydrate which aren’t exclusively linked to any other nutrients.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #82

Too true! Nothing to do with keto per se, but personal food choices that people make. There is NO essential carbohydrate. So eating lo/no carb does not in itself create any nutrient deficiencies.

Just so I don’t have to hunt through all your posts… can you catch me up on what the deficiency is (magnesium?) and symptoms that started at 3 years?

I notice we talk about food sources of minerals like calcium and magnesium. Isn’t it likely that water is an important source of minerals? I think the difference between the water that comes out of the faucet today and drinking from an unpolluted stream like our pre-industrial ancestors did might be significant.

[edit]
Found an interesting water analysis study here. Haven’t read it thoroughly yet.

The average North American consumes insufficient quantities of Ca2+ and Mg2+ and too much Na+. Recommended dietary intakes of Ca2+ and Mg2+ are best fulfilled via the consumption of foods in which these minerals are abundant and bioavailable. The results of our study suggest that drinking water may be an important dietary source of Ca2+, Mg2+, and Na+. This is because minerals are highly bioavailable in water and because drinking water sources available to North Americans may contain clinically important levels of these minerals.

Couldn’t agree more!

Clipboard02

254 million results must mean supplements aren’t just something the keto community is doing. If you decide to eat a whole food keto, and cut out the processed “fortified” foods, you get to see bare bones picture of what we’re really consuming. How much less sodium am I getting in my food now compared to when I ate crap?

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #85

Exactly. One entire can of soup can contain over half the RDA of salt.

Magnesium deficiency that resulted in heart problems over a few months = atrial fibrillation.

https://www.ketogenicforums.com/t/atrial-fibrillation-magnesium-ketogenic-eating-yoga/36218?u=frankobear

A post where I dove a bit deeper in to being curious about micro nutrient mineral losses:

https://www.ketogenicforums.com/t/atrial-fibrillation-magnesium-ketogenic-eating-yoga/36218/85?u=frankobear

(Laura) #88

I am the same. I have not increased my salt intake at all. In fact, I seem to be a lot more sensitive to food that tastes too salty now. I can barely eat it.

I used to love olives and noticed that once I went low carb, I could barely tolerate them. Just too salty. That seems to be a permanent change, since 10 years later, I still cannot eat them, even if I rinse them.

My sodium levels, when tested, are always towards the top of the normal range, so maybe I get enough from food without having to add any.

That’s what I was thinking! Is their incident rate really higher?!

(Edith) #90

It’s truly interesting how we are all so different. If I don’t supplement my 1.5 teaspoons of salt (on top of what I get in my food), my 600 mg of magnesium through ReMag and/or Magnesium Glycinate, and 3/8 teaspoon of potassium through No Salt, I instantly get heart palpitations and muscle cramps during the night.

I’ve tried stopping the salt and the result is never good. That’s my biggest complaint about keto for me. I have to supplement my electrolytes as if they are medication. That is very annoying to me.

(traci simpson) #91

They are skinny and the like but they look older than they are, kind of skeletal. She used to look “fuller” in the face

See picture 18. Up until 18 she looks great and healthy.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #92

Not only interesting. Also, maddening for trying to advise someone what to do and not; to determine what’s effective and not. Often the best is not far from the worst and frequently just the flip side of the coin toss. :weary:

About electrolyte supplementation (ie ‘salt’). Just reframe it. Instead of thinking keto required medication, think another food group where you can implement creatively with positive and/or negative feedback mechanisms. I actually look forward to my next electrolyte ‘mix’ (which I have to do today since I don’t have enough to make it through the day). Will I get it just right this time to avoid waking up to my toes standing at attention and saluting my ankles? Or have I got it right and I just need to eat more during the day?

(Rebecca Levy) #93

Did not know that. Thank yiy

(Stef Diaz Diaz) #94

When I was eating raw duck meat, I was eating the heart and the taste was bland and kind of unsatisfactory, then when the blood came gushing out the flavor improved as it was now tasty and salty, so you are 100% right!

Also, off topic, but rotten meat taste like if you put onions and garlic on it, without those poisons…

(Stickin' with mammoth) #95

Definitely.

On keto, I craved salted water, added salt to meat and eggs, and even went on salt benders in the evenings where I would cover my meals with so much salt, it looked like snow. I even salted cheese. The Salt Gods punished me with cramping muscles if I didn’t obey.

Switched to coffee carnivore and all desire for salt evaporated. Things I used to salt now taste waaay too salty just on their own. A meal of cured ham requires several cups of water to restore balance. The leftover stockpile of Real Salt and Alderwood Smoked Sea Salt in the kitchen cupboard is gonna last me for YEARS.

Incidentally, the bitter taste of coffee doesn’t bother me anymore, either. Plain water tastes sweet now and I can detect flavors in it depending on where I filled up my water bottle. It’s like my taste buds have gone nuclear.