Vegan Bacon

(John) #1

Never watched the show but came across this.

(G. Andrew Duthie) #2

I’d do the same with turkey “bacon.”

I’ve got a friend who doesn’t eat beef or pork and she’s a big fan of turkey bacon — if you microwave it 'til it’s almost crispy, it makes it palatable. Not as good as the real thing, obvs, but hey, any port in a storm :smile:

(G. Andrew Duthie) #4

I don’t object to people eating what they want. But just don’t call it bacon. :smiley:

(Jennifer) #5

I bought some beef bacon at a meat shop and it was really just sliced brisket. Nice and smokey, just not fat enough… :wink:

(Adam Kirby) #6

Funny that the vegans keep trying to replace meat.

(Dustin Cade) #7

the interesting thing is those who choose not to eat meat for ethical reasons, normally the reasons is we humans no longer need to eat meat to survive… though if you look at the science, we need meat to be healthy and continue to thrive… Funny thing is my team at work there is me the Keto guy and a vegan, neither of us can eat most things brought in to share…

(G. Andrew Duthie) #8

My worry is the work we’re seeing in trying to replace animal products with “meat” made in a lab.

While I get that the stated desire is to produce a “healthy” product that addresses those ethical concerns and/or concerns about the environmental impact of raising livestock (not weighing in on the merits here, but rather acknowledging the stated concerns), I think there is a very high risk of unforeseen (though foreseeable) consequences of man-made “meat” products.

Given the track record of industry in creating products that turn out to be horrifyingly bad for our health, I am quite leery of supposed alternatives to meat.

(John) #9

First thing they will try to do is remove the saturated fat and cholesterol.