Using Almond Flour

(Candy Lind) #21

I’d respectfully state, as a truck driver who regularly WAITS at meat plants for slaughtering, inspection, and chilling, that most meat is NOT sold weeks after slaughter. We get it from the plant to a distribution point in 1-3 days, & it goes to stores within 48 hours from there. A decent supply chain logistic gets both produce and meat into consumers’ hands quicker than you think. If you want to check out your local store’s efficiency, ask someone to help you ascertain when something was harvested/butchered. They can tell by lot number.

(Candy Lind) #22

:rofl::joy::rofl::joy::rofl::joy::rofl::joy:

(Candy Lind) #23

I’m gonna try that!

Hmmmm, I’ll have to try this …

Sure - trucks do pick it up and deliver to distro centers and stores quickly, but the treatment of the meat has already happened at the meat packing plants. My point was that it gets to the store but is adulterated to make it sellable weeks hence etc.

Apparently some 70% of U.S. meat is treated with carbon monoxide at meat packing plants - to make it look red far beyond what it would normally look like fresh. Before they started using CO, it was actual colorants - all to misrepresent freshness.

I was rather shocked when I learned about it some years back. These meat selling additives are banned in europe, and the supply chain in europe also is more local and smaller distances.

Then there’s the fact also that the red color obscures the fact of tainted meat - and that there have nonetheless been huge recalls over tainted meat (particularly the ground up meat which can hide contaminants and also be more vulnerable to prolonged storage tainting) resulting in the wasting of hundreds of thousands of pounds of bovine life >_<

Large scale industrial food production/agriculture is the problem imho - which the gov’t subsidizes over small scale less-intensive, less profitable, and more regional or seasonal meat supply. Plenty of American industrial fast food meat comes from South America - that’s a whole other subject. I don’t know what the Latin American regulations of CO are, I imagine in line w/ the U.S.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/11/13/AR2007111302016.html

(Roberta Worley) #25

I use flax meal in mine instead of bread crumbs. I don’t favor almond flour and am trying to avoid it as much as possible.

(Tracy) #26

Hemp hearts? Interesting idea. I’m going to try it.

(Tracy) #27

I’ve used almond flour in a meatloaf and it was revolting. It was dense, dry, and just nasty. The next time I made it I used a recipe that called for pork rinds and it was really good. Someone in this thread suggests hemp hearts and I have a bag of them I need to use up so I’ll try it and report the findings.

How did it work? I have not made meatloaf in a while. The family got sick of it and started complaining and it takes more labor on my part than some other items I make. When I did make it the almond flour worked fine, pork rinds is not an option for us, flax is ok in limited supply but I avoid eating it regularly due to the alleged estrogen issues some people claim. Would like to try hemp hearts. As for those who said tomato paste is gross, it is, right out of the can but as with many cooking ingredients, the flavor it adds when cooked or combined is very different from how it tastes initially. Who eats mayonnaise straight?!

(Gregory - You can teach an old dog new tricks.) #29

Holds up hand…

I like to lick the spoon…

I knew someone was going to say that!

I dislike normal mayo (the yolk MUST be the main ingredient but it’s probably shouldn’t be called mayo at that point) but I can eat any of my food items straight (except spices and vinegar. I always loved eating mustard alone but I don’t do that nowadays. I could, of course).

I never heard anyone calling tomato paste gross. How weird people can get :smiley: Tomato paste is like tomato… At least the nice ones I use. Of course, tastes differ…