Use of the word "cheating" if we occasionally choose to eat something not on our regular food list

(Scott) #61

Many use the word “cheat” as if they are being deprived of food and are owed a treat. Me I think of it as cheating while playing solitaire, you may win more games but it is unearned and hollow. If I want a beer I drink one. I just don’t let myself go down the road of having fries, bread and cake because I want it at that moment and giving a name that makes it sound forgiven.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #62

“Temptation” and the urge to “cheat” for me are signs that my addiction to sugar and other carbohydrates is gaining control—or trying to, at least. It’s a bad sign if I feel the urge to eat something that I also feel I have to hide from others.

One of the ways to deal with cravings is to eat something ketogenic, such as pork rinds, prosciutto, pepperoni, Brie or other cheese (butter makes cheese even tastier, did you know that?), or a cup of coffee with heavy cream in it. I have sometimes risked a binge by eating French fries or a sweet, but fortunately I haven’t gone overboard to date. Something that helps is that I’ve been eating ketogenically long enough for my satiety signaling to be quite strong, so the question of whether I’m feeling real hunger or a craving is usually very easy to answer.

(Jim) #63

I suppose this is as good a place to ask this as any. My wife and I are newbies (17 days). She’s got courtside seats for an NBA game tonight for work and she’s going to try to stick with the diet, but it might be difficult. That said, how much of a setback would it be if she dropped out for a day? We tested blood ketone levels yesterday and she was at 3.6.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #64

At 17 days? A blip on the radar. Depends, too, on what she eats. A couple of hot dogs without the buns? No problem. Lots of beer? Lots of carbs to raise her glucose and lower her ketones.

But that will be temporary, as long as she returns to ketogenic eating tomorrow. Fat adaptation is what you’re striving for, but if it takes her a couple of extra days to reach it, how much of a problem would that be? If that really matters to her, she’ll be able to figure out if non-keto food at the game is worth it or not.

(Jim) #65

Thanks for the response, @PaulL . I think she may have some sort of meat without any bun or anything. They are eating in the Club at the arena so she should have choices. And she’ll probably have a couple of glasses of wine. We’re confused as to whether the fat adaptation resets or not. It sounds like it would just be prolonged by a bit? In other words, if she were to take six weeks to become fat adapted staying in ketosis the whole time, it might take her six weeks and a few days should she drop out tonight, right? It would not mean she’d be starting over and tomorrow would be day one of her six week process? Is that right?

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #66

Good question, and no, she wouldn’t have to start over. The alcohol in the wine shouldn’t even interfere with her ketosis (at least, according to Dr. Phinney), though the carbs in the wine might push her over her limit, depending on what else she eats today. She should be fine.

(Scott) #67

If she starts screaming “I’m melting…melting” you might want to tell her to back off the carbs a bit. :laughing:

('Jackie P') #68

I agree. I always refer to a ‘calculated deviation’.
I decide and remain in total control.