Update from dr

(Gary hoover) #1

I was instructed by my dr to get on a low carb food intake. Because of bad lungs and taking prednisone I ended up wit diabetes,of course over weight also. So January 3 19 I went to 20- carbs a day. I did an update a few months ago but today was my dr visit,blood drawn last week. Overall the dr said everything is almost perfect,A1c at 5.6 from 8.6. Weight down 35lbs. All other blood work was sooo good he could not say enough good about the turn around. My lungs are bad and will not get better but it’s about being stable and that’s what’s going on. So bottom line today was a great Dr report thanks to keto

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #2

Garie, that’s fantastic ! Congratulations :grinning::grinning::grinning::grinning:

I don’t know the exact details of your lung situation, but I will say, never say never ! I would have to bet that somewhere in medical journals, somebody, somewhere, has turned that type of lung problem around. So if anybody could do that, I think you would be the most likely !

Keep it up, and continued success you :slightly_smiling_face:

(Susan) #3

Congrats, Gary, this is awesome =).

('Jackie P') #4

That is truly good news. I don’t know what the nature of your lung disease is, but this may give you some hope.

(Gary hoover) #5

Vietnam Agent Orange, but I’m better than I was. Dr thinks it’s weight off lungs that helps breathing. Thanks for reply. Keto is the best. Funny my wife went on with me she is down 22 and now a lot of women she golfs with are on Keto and losing. Guys ask me but none go on it. Not even try. Men are from where???

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #6

Congratulations on your progress. A ketogenic diet helps a lot of conditions, and I’m glad you are seeing so much improvement.

I wouldn’t expect badly damaged lungs to ever recover fully, but I wouldn’t be surprised if your new way of eating were to promote at least a modicum of repair. I don’t know what specific damage Agent Orange does, just that it’s really nasty stuff, so good luck to you, and keep us updated with your progress.

(Central Florida Bob ) #7

Let me add my congratulations, too.

Our bodies have a remarkable ability to heal themself. As others have said, I don’t know anything about what sort of damage is in your lungs or how extensively damaged they are, I just know that our bodies have mechanisms for self-repair.

Just for some perspective, you’re nine months in. It takes time for inflammation to dissipate and other changes to occur. I bet that there are people around here who can tell you of changes in their bodies a year or two after they started keto. My doctor took me off statins in '15 and my cholesterol changed for two years, getting better every test.

(Gary hoover) #8

Thanks for your don’t give up attitude,my wife pushes me big time. Lungs from agent orange but I’m better than I was last year by far

(Susan) #9

It is awesome that your wife and some of her friends are doing Keto as well. It is great how Keto has this rippling effect on others when they see how we are being successful. You are doing great, so just keep on with Keto and I wish you health and happiness.

(Gary hoover) #10

Thanks

(John Stirman) #11

Gary, that is awesome! That is almost my exact story. I started Keto 2 months ago. After 6 weeks my A1C went from 8 to 6, I lost 30 lbs and I have begun to taper off of Prednisone (for reactive asthma) for the 1st time after 4 years of dosage. My doctor has also been very supportive. Thanks you for your service, though I am so sorry you have suffered through agent orange.

I’m sorry you are having to deal with this. Thank you so much for your service and sacrifice!!!

(Kirk Wolak) #13

I know you posted elsewhere about the root cause.
Remember these things:

1. Every few years all of your cells have been replaced by new ones
  2. The placebo effect is 1/3rd of all medicinal effects
  3. The mind cannot distinguish between reality and visualization (tests done with kids only visualizing shooting basketballs, outperforming those that actually practiced, but for less time)
  4. The universe sees to it, that you get what you focus on!

so, as hippee dippee as it sounds, I implore you to spend 5 minutes/day:
A) Visualizing your lungs getting healthier
B) Breathing and noticing it getting easier
C) Asking a question like: How much healing power is in the universe for me to tap into?
D) Loving your lungs… As they are. Because, with love, things grow!

And if you can push it to 10 minutes (morning and night), I think you might be surprised at how much healing can actually happen when you believe it can, and make room to let it happen… Guiding it along the way!

PS: Great job on the numbers!

(Gary hoover) #14

Thanks for your reply. No one knows what happens when taking something in there bodies,look at smoking,how bad that is and people still do it. It’s all good and keto better. It sure does help

(Barbara) #15

Have you considered fasting? Start at IF, then ADF, then maybe longer fasts… up to 5-7 days every month or two… between autophagy and stimulating new stem cell growth… your lungs could improve. It’s worth the investment of your time if it would improve your health. Before keto we all struggled… add on fasting to the mix and one never knows what positive changes it could have… worth a try. Best wishes!

(Gary hoover) #16

Yes I have been fasting,16-18 each day and 24 twice a week,only have done 24 twice in last month

As someone who has been on prednisone for the last 4 years, I found this information to be helpful. Maybe worth a discussion with your doctor…https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10229312

(Gary hoover) #18

I am now on only 5mg and only increase if I get a flair up. My bad lungs won’t let me get off totally. But better

(Gary hoover) #19

Yes I fast a lot sometimes 2 times a week