Unsure if this is the plan for me

So by way of background- was traditionally healthy- in law school then sedentary job gained weight up to 227- lost it all in 2 months down to 190 (where I have been since USMC boot camp) on a keto diet with heavy exercise. Then was running half marathons etc… and staying between 190 and 200. I was NOT on keto after that first 2 month period of time, but was exercising alot and trying to be reasonable in my food although i drank tons of Mt Dew.

Then in Dec 2014, my wife and I lost our 22 year old daughter to complications following child birth. I spiraled into depression and over the past 4 years have gained 60+ lbs. In the first 2 years I gained about 45-50 of it and then i slowed the gain down but couldn’t get the eating habits under control. Finally, starting to feel like myself and wife convinced me to go on Keto for lent which started March 6th.

Since then, I have been completely keto- other than one Friday night that we both agreed to have 100g of carbs instead of 20. Even including that Friday, I have not had anything to drink other than water and usually close to a gallon a day- with lemon about 1/3 of the time. I have shaved off the 600-1000 calories a day of Mt Dew that I was consuming most days.

My day to day meal plan has VERY little variance. I am not interested in trying any keto takes on traditional food- I don’t want Keto deserts- if I want desert then I want desert not an imitation, or Keto pizza- etc…

Here is my typical day food wise:

Breakfast: 3 pieces of bacon, 2 fried eggs (274 calories according to Lose It App)

Lunch: salad- 1/3 cup cheddar cheese, 2 cups romaine lettuce, 1 cup spinach, 3 tablespoons real bacon bits, 2 baby carrots shredded, 5 oz chicken breasts, 6 tbsp ranch dressing, 6 olives, 7 raspberries, 3 blackberries. (818 calories)

Dinner: 6 asparagus spears, 8 ounces of boneless skinless chicken breast (338 calories)

Snacks- 2 table spoons of Kroger’s Natural Creamy Peanut Butter (low-carb), 1.5 oz sliced colby-jack cheese, 1.5 table spoons rance dressing (460 calories)

Breakfast and Lunch basically never vary. Dinner somewhat but is always fewer calories than lunch. Snacks vary but keep the same basic profile.

I had 126.2 g of fat, 163.2 g protein, 28.4 (19.8 net) g of carbs.

Additionally- everyday but Sunday I exercise- 20 minutes of as intense as I can handle will being non-anaerobic of cardio- usually on an elliptical, and 30 minutes of lifting alternating upper and lower body days. Usually burning an estimated 650 calories not including an metabolic impact.

Im sorry for all the background info but everyone seems to ask for that so that they can give better advice.

The first 10 days I lost 10 lbs. Then I have not budged at all since then - staying between 9-11 pounds down from my peak of 262.8 lbs. My goal is 190 lbs.

I am a very numbers driven person so I weight daily- because I don’t care if my wife says my pants look looser. I only care what the numbers say. I understand the problems with that.

I physically feel better on Keto- oh and I am dropping ketones everyday according to the urine sticks. But, I don’t feel so much better as to give up my favorite foods. The only reason I can make Keto work at all is that I love meat. But no potatos, bread, or Mt. Dew…

So any suggestions as to why it would be stalling when I have so much weight still to lose? Last time I did this I lost 37 lbs in 2 month- fairly effortlessly and I don’t even know if I was a faithful at the Keto although I know that I was averaging 10 work outs a week rather than 6.

Am I just not cut out for Keto? I say that in consideration of the fact that Im unwilling to wait a year to see the scale budge again. I probably unwilling to wait more than 2 months to see the scale budge again. People say Keto isn’t for everyone, does it seem like maybe its not a good fit for me anymore?

Advise is welcome, even though I sound like a bit of a whiner about this.

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #2

First, I would cut the snacking.

Second, how are you coming up with the macros for fat and protein?
I would honestly up the fat and lower your protein - probably cut it in half, unless you really need that much based on how much you are working out.

Third, why so much water? Are you always that thirsty?

Fourth, you are only about 4 weeks in. Give it more time. :slight_smile:

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #3

If you’re doing this strictly for weight loss I would suggest cutting the berries, peanut butter and decrease the cheese and snacking. Go up on the fat to get full.

Remember, it took you years to gain the weight and it may take a year to lose what you want to lose. It’s up to you to decide that even with slow losses if it’s worth giving up potatoes, bread and Mt. Dew.

Here’s some useful information: Keto Is This Easy

I know you aren’t technically a newbie but you may see something that helps.

Okay, so why quit snacking? I snack primarily to get enough calories. Worried if I eat too few calories it will affect my metabolism. I’m typically 3-4000 calories below what the weight loss app recommends for lowest calories for healthy weight loss after accounting for exercise.

Also, I know my protein is high and fat lower than is optimal but still in ketosis everyday and unsure how to add more fat. Can’t find anything I want to eat with more fat in it. Well unless it has huge carbs also.

I appreciate the input. Unsure where to find more fat to eat and curious why you suggested stopping the snacking.

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #5

So you are saying that the app is recommending that you should eat 5,000 to 6,000 calories a day?

I’m going to tag @Karim_Wassef to see if he has any input.

As far as testing, are you using pee strips or a blood meter, as they test two different things.
How are you feeling - energized, tired, etc?

By snacking you are constantly giving your body fuel. I can fairly easily come up with 1500 calories for just one meal (my supper) and can get to 2,000 easily with a dense fat bomb. If your body is ready for it, eating less often can give your body a break from constantly being flooded with fuel.

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #6

I’m 5’ 2" and about 116lbs

As an example, this was my ONE meal last night:

Sorry 3-4000 per week under minimum. My snack is usually at one sit down to increase calories maybe 2 hours after dinner.

Sorry for confusion.

Really don’t know anything about fat bombs

I just eat normal food. Never keto modified recipes. Just usually plan single ingredient foods other than my salads.

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #8

For me, fat bombs are a good way to get extra fat in. But you can also add butter to your steaks, use a good fatty salad dressing, etc.

I’d also NOT do the skinless chicken - very little fat in that. Maybe you could try incorporating some good fatty beef into your meals?

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #9

The scale is A number not THE numbers.

Your measurements are numbers, as well. I would guess you didn’t take a waist or hip measurement before starting, but if your pants fit better, you have likely lost an inch or three.

Inches matter more than weight. Inches tell you more about the composition of your body. 100 lbs of muscle will be a lot smaller than 100 lbs of fat.

I’ve gained 10 lbs off my low. But I’ve maintained the 8” waist reduction. That’s what people notice, so no one has asked if I’m slipping.

If you’re interested in the numbers, get all the numbers.

(Christiana) #10

First of all, I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your child. That is unthinkably devastating and I can’t begin to imagine what you, your wife and entire family have endured. I think it’s wonderful that you are working on your health, and I’m sure it will only help in your healing process.

Snacking (even ketogenic) causes your body to secrete insulin, and insulin signals your body to store fat. While insulin levels are high, fat cannot be released from your fat cells and used as energy. The best way to lose fat is to restrict the time (not calories) that a person eats, so that insulin is only secreting once or twice a day rather than 6 times a day. My advice would be to eliminate snacking, try eating within a certain window (maybe skipping breakfast), and during your meals eat to comfortable satiation. Never leave the table hungry, and don’t eat “half” meals (a handful of nuts, a slice of cheese, a few pepperoni, etc.). If you’re going to eat, eat. If you’re not going to eat, don’t. It’s the in-between that can stall a lot of people on keto.

Also, keep in mind that the calories in, calories out mentality is not useful here. Fat is stored or released due to hormonal signaling. When insulin levels are high fat is stored, when insulin levels are low, fat is released. In this same vein, exercise is not as helpful for fat loss as we have been led to believe. To begin with, its effect on our metabolism in terms of calories expended has been grossly over-stated, and it increases appetite, which in a hyper-insulinemic state is going to cause fat GAIN.

Hope this helps!

The idea is to reduce insulin levels. Everytime you eat carbs, and to a lesser extent, protein, you cause insulin production. By eating more at meals but not snacking you automatically decrease insulin.

Forget calories, get those carbs lower and up the fat.
It’ll be fairly easy to tweak what you eat.
More bacon and eggs at breakfast. Double the quantity. Eat until you’re full.

Cut down on the salad. Halve (or remove) the quantity. Swap out the chicken breast (it’s a lean meat) for chicken thighs or steak. Don’t have the berries, add more bacon or an egg, cook the carrots and smother in butter.

Use a more fatty protein - beef, chicken thigh (skin on - that’s where the fat is), oily fish. Cook in a ‘good’ fat.
If you don’t want to give up the snacks then eat them as a pudding, straight after dinner, rather than later.

Cut down the exercise for now. The cortisol it triggers also causes spikes in insulin and that goes against what we’re aiming for. When you’re fat adapted go back to it.

Being numbers driven is fine - but change the numbers you use.
Instead of weighing every day, try measuring your body. It’s still numbers but likely to give you more positive results as far as reduction is concerned, at least in short term.
You really should care what your wife says - she’s reporting seeing a positive change. Be thankful she cares enough to notice and to tell you.

Focus on these numbers - the carbs under 20g a day (down as far as you can), what the tape measure says and on how often people, including your wife, comment on changes they see.

Good luck and KCKO

(Karim Wassef) #12

This is right on… nothing else needs to be added

(Christy) #13

It doesn’t so much sound like you’re whining, rather, just being stubborn by refusing to accept any Keto benefit other than the changing of the number on your scale. If that is your only measure of success then I think you need a better understanding of this WOE. It’s not just another crash diet. Yes, it typically results in weight loss but, the healing of your body takes precedence.

As you’ve already admitted, all of your previous weight loss ventures have not worked in the long run. You’re barely 3 weeks in … & you already “feel better,” which plays an incredibly large roll in weight loss/general health. Commit to a solid 12 weeks of Keto & then reevaluate if you so choose. Nothing happens overnight!

I’m sure several people will comment on your caloric intake, as it seems rather low but, I believe in slightly lower calories for weight loss so, I will just say this: There is no need to opt for skinless chicken breasts unless that is what you prefer taste wise. If you like dark meat, with the yummy skin, go for that instead. You’re allowed extra fat & calories in this WOE. That may be a mental hurdle you need to leap.

Your numbers are quite similar to mine. I initially lost 10 pounds my first week, followed by a week or so of +3 -2 +1 -3, so on & so forth. I also weigh every day, but never allow the fluctuation to rule me. I lost inches daily & for me that was way more gratifying than any number on the scale. I started week 6 today & I am down 17 pounds. In short, this is a process. When the scale doesn’t move try to focus on your other positive victories.

I will end by saying, I very much understand what it is like to gain weight from depression. My extra 20+ pounds came from a situation very similar to yours. Loss is hard, so so hard. & it seems like it’s the hardest weight to lose because in addition to the actual body fat you’re carrying around, you also have a ton of mental weight to deal with. Sometimes that is much deeper than any diet/WOE but, I can wholeheartedly tell you that this past 6 weeks has produced an immeasurable amount of mental & emotional healing. I finally feel like me again!! Give it a chance & I wish you the best of luck.

(Jill F.) #14

Hi and welcome! Depression is very real, and we look for things as humans to fill foods caused by pain. Food is easy to fill those voids!

I would limit the ranch, lose the carrots, no fruit, and lettuce except on occasion. Eat fatty meats, healthy oils like olive oil, slather everything in butter and eat bacon! Also like everyone said limit snacking. Try to eat 2 to 3 times a day max.

Once you become fat adapted around 4 to 6 weeks in, no snacking becomes easier.

(MooBoom) #15

@sowald73 thank you for sharing your story here. I echo @Christiana14’s beautifully expressed words of sympathy for the tragic loss of your daughter. My heart goes out to both you and your wife. This is a wonderful community and I hope you find all the support and information you need to continue successfully with your keto journey, because from what you’ve said it’s absolutely what you need and I think if you stick with it, you’ll be so glad you did.

A few thoughts jump immediately to mind. You’ve only been doing this 4 weeks- so you are not yet fat adapted and quite possibly you’re still breaking your addiction to carbs which you speak of with longing here

4 weeks is not long enough to judge keto on, 6 months- maybe. You haven’t even given it enough time to break your addiction yet.

You’re eating A LOT. I don’t get the impression you’re letting your hunger dictate your eating either, it seems planned and fixed. Really this is not helpful, you should be letting your hunger drive your eating, and stop the moment you are satiated (ie you could eat more, but you’re comfortable and can choose to stop).

I also see some reasonably carby foods in what you’ve listed, in isolation all fine but if you’re having all of these daily (are you trying to ‘hit’ a carb target?’) they could be an issue.

But back to the fact you’re only 4 weeks in. You’ve probably got a fair bit of metabolic disregulation to heal. It took you a long time to get to this point, keto will work for you at the pace your body can handle. Keto isn’t all about weight loss- if anything that’s a fringe benefit. Keto is a healing way of eating and first and foremost that’s what your body is going to be doing. Healing. You need to give it the time and space to do that for you. Changing your mindset from a weight loss mindset to a health mindset is going to be your key to success.

I’ve lost count of how many times I’ve told people to throw the damn scales away. You of ALL people really ought to do just that because they are messing with your mind, and probably spiking your cortisol and that is counter productive to your goals. Your wife tells you you look slimmer. Your clothes fit better. Ok it’s not showing on the scale but who cares- something IS working!

Keto isn’t a magic bullet, if that’s what you’re looking for you will be mightily disappointed and probably fail. Start playing the long game, the health game, give things a solid 6 months and start eating to hunger and satiety, drive those carbs down as low as you can get, enjoy your fatty meat. Hang around the forum and read up on as much as you can. Watch some Dr Ken Berry on YouTube. Tuit Nutrition is good too. You’re at the very start of a journey you’ll be glad you started a year from now, just reign your expectations well in.

I hope you stick around :blush:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #16

It’s muscle. Yeah, that’s right, muscle is what it is! :rofl::rofl:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #17

@sowald73 As far as the scale is concerned, here’s a question to ponder: Would you rather look as though you’ve lost thirty-five pounds and have the scale show no change, or lose thirty-five pounds and continue to look fat?

(Keto in Katy) #18

Forget calories completely, this is not a metric to pay attention to.

Eat mostly protein, and some fat to satiety. One or two filling meals per day is enough.

I get that. Plus I don’t have a wife, husband, etc. to tell me my pants look looser. I think you need some more numbers. When my scale isn’t budging, sometimes my measurements have, or my body fat% does. I’ll take what I can get to keep my motivation up. Sounds like you need that, too. So I suggest you start tracking a bunch other stuff, so you’re not just constantly disappointed by the scale.

Yes, this. The suggestion to cut snacking isn’t to cut calories, but your insulin response.

It looks like the amount you’re eating is small, but if you’re full, then I wouldn’t worry about it. Your protein does look a little high and swapping some of that out for fat is a good suggestion, if that works for you. But eat what you like, as long as it’s not carbs. Butter, more bacon at breakfast, more high fat salad dressing, etc. For example, at lunch and dinner eat skin-on chicken breasts or, better yet, skin-on chicken thighs, ribeye steaks, or some salmon (I like to bake this heavily dotted with butter). Top with butter or sour cream. Add some butter or mayo to that asparagus. I like to roast or steam some cauliflower or broccoli and dip it in blue cheese dressing. Add half an avocado to that lunchtime salad.

I like to try some interesting recipes sometimes, but most days, most of us are eating simple keto. You don’t have to over-complicate it do do it right.

I’m always torn about the suggestions to cut back on exercise. If you’re already doing it and like it, keep it up. Exercise can be a great stress reliever and mood elevator and it sounds like you may need that in your life. OTOH, if you’re pushing yourself to do something that you hate, because you think you have to do it to lose weight, give yourself a break.

You could cut back on water a bit. A gallon sounds like a lot and maybe you’re filling up on water so much that you have trouble filling up on real food at meals. Don’t drink your dinner. :grinning:

Finally, you’ve lost 10 lbs. in 4 weeks or 2-1/2 lbs/week. This is a pretty good average. It’s really, really common for people starting keto to have this exact pattern. This is 99% of the threads in the “Not Losing Weight” subforum. Weight loss usually starts up again after a brief adjustment period.

(Scott) #20

Keto is still keto but unfortunately you are a bit older and the changes you seek can be a bit slower. That’s okay we all have time. Trust the low carb woe and stay on plan. You will need to give it months to let it take its course. If you can do it I think you will be rewarded but only if that is what you seek. Best of luck to you.