Unsure if Keto is for me

food

Hello,

Keto newbie in need of a little advice apologies in advance, more than one question.

I have been reading many of your posts in a bid not to ask the same questions again however I think I’m going to do just that, in the hope that I am perhaps missing something.

I would appreciate any help and advice and many thank in advance for reading this excruciating long post.

I’m 37 years old and due to a multitude of health issues over the last 6 years I turned to Keto about a year ago as a way of life to help ease much of what I was experiencing.

I used to suffer from terrible heart burn and acid re-flux and was on medication, I had very low mood, chronic fatigue, and was not eating enough calories so much so I probably wrecked my metabolism.
Last year i changed doctors and found a nutritional therapist who urged me to see my GP and request a trial course of Thyroxine which i am still taking at 50mg a day.

I have always been slight and slim, at 164 cm tall. I love to exercise if I can on a regular basis so a typical week for me would be

Mon = Weights & Aerobics
Tues = Spinning
Wed = Weights
Thur = Spinning
Fri = Weights
Sat & Sun rest days

Since staring Keto my acid re-flux has stopped and i no longer need meds, Yeah! My mood has improved and my BMR is up to 1424Kcal.

I know all this is wonderful and I should be over the moon which I am but on my journey I have gained so much weigh I am heavier that I have ever been in my life and it is starting to impact what i love doing the most.

I would like to lose my excess weight healthily, I have been tracking my macros which are using 0.8 g of protein to my lean muscle mass of 44.8 kg Protein 83g Carbs 20g (but often do not even consume 10g of carbs) Fat 149 g = 1753 Kcal I make sure I hit my protein and fats spot on.

I have not set my calorie deficit to loose aggressively it is set to 10% with calories factored in for exercise (using Ketogains Macro Calculators) in the hope that my body will play ball which sadly its not!

I think my body has different ideas of becoming fat adapted which I though would have happened by now, I have tried more fat, less fat, more protein, less protein.

For example this week is a real doozie for instance my waking blood sugar is 5.7 - 6.3 mmol.
Last night an hour after my evening meal I was registering 6.3mmol, and all I ate was 200g cooked cavol nero, 100g Pork belly and 20ml Olive oil & 16g Butter.
My breakfast was a shake of 30g Coconut oil, Pea protein 25 g lunch was olive oil 30 ml 100g Kale chicken leg skin on.

I’m simply at a complete loss!!

(Donna ) #2

Don’t eat if you aren’t hungry. Just keep the carbs under 20 grams (which you are doing.) Don’t force food.

I would drop protein shake for breakfast. In fact, I’d drop breakfast altogether.

Practice Intermittent Fasting and do two or one meal a day, all Keto (but just watch your carbs. Don’t obsess about protein. Eat fat to satiety, but don’t force that, either.) Don’t track calories. Having ‘up’ days and ‘down’ calorie days is probably more natural, anyway. You will be naturally more hungry on some days and less hungry on others, listen to your body.

I often see posts of people who are ‘doing every right’ and sometimes it backfires on them. Your body is unique and hasn’t read all of the literature and mathematical equations. Your body isn’t doing anything ‘wrong’ when it doesn’t react the way it’s supposed to. The math is obviously wrong for you. Drop the math.

Keep your carbs under 20 grams a day and you won’t have crazy insulin and blood glucose spikes. Eat fat and protein to satiety, but not past it. Exercise because it feels good, not to lose weight.

There’s my 2 cents. Maybe I’m right, maybe I’m wrong.

Keto on in good health! :smiley:

(Ethan) #3

You say you are slight and slim, but trying to lose weight. If its the last bit of fat you have left, it can be difficult to get that off.

1. If you have a question, ask. Just ask. Please, ask.

2. For what it’s worth, I’ve lost 70lbs without tracking a single macro. I hope I didn’t just confuse things for you.

Welcome!

This ^^

Hi
Thank you for you reply, I wish it was only a little bit to come off.
Sadly I have not lost anything on Keto only gained my reason for posting sorry didnot explain to well.

Thank you very much for your reply, although id love to practice intermitant fasting my body/brain goes in to panic mode as I have miss treated it in the past as soon as I get to food my hunger does not seem to shut off.
Ive tried the softly softly approach of prolonging my first meal perhaps if I continue to extend eventually ill skip

(Ethan) #8

Just work yourself into it. We’ve been through this, so we know it’s possible. I used to eat nonstop everyday. I was athletic and ate the whole-grain, low-carb diet. I yo-yo’ed all around in weight all the time. At my worse, I was 276 pounds and not working out at all. My glucose was consistently in the 200s and 300s. I extended fast 5 days now twice every month. Hunger can get shut off for most…

Hi Thank you for your reply, wow that’s an amazing achievement.

Thank you, just don’t understand whats going on!
Take today for instance, managed to have a small snack for dinner last night mostly fat, up at 6:30 this morning in gym for an hour no post shake only 30g Coconut oil to take the edge off at around 10:30.
Went home for lunch at 12 and took blood which read 6.0 mmol Eeeh!
As an athletic person do you think my body be breaking down muscle?

(Dustin Cade) #11

I’ve been doing a 21/3 IF routine most days, I’m currently day 3 into a 3 day fast, I’m not doing this for weight loss (weight loss is my ultimate goal, I’m just not on a timeline to lose x amount), more so for autophagy, though I’d start like 14/10 IF, and slowly start to move to 15/9 and 16/8, on to 18/6, you’ll find where you like to be. listen to your body, it will guide you… I’d stay away from protein shakes, but that is just me.

(Dustin Cade) #12

i really only eat meat and eggs, some cheese btw…

Ok sounds interesting thank you, protein shake is more convenience really as i come to work after gym not whey protein, pure pea less carb route, I though.
I have only gained on Keto never lost, id like to lose and not on a time scale just scared that my fat% just keeps on going up, and blood sugar wont level.
Many thanks for you info anything is worth a go.

(Dustin Cade) #14

You’ll find what works, just gotta play around with it.

(Tessy M.) #15

I’ve found that switching up my foods has been helpful. You mentioned coconut oil a few times. I’m not saying it’s bad, but maybe substitute something in it’s place sometimes like bacon, jerky, avocado? All of them can be pre-prepared and an easy snack to grab.

Hi Thank you for you reply, I often interchange fats, Avo, olive, Lard, Tallow, coconut, MCT, butter.
Just coconut mostly in post work out/breakfast shake. I hadnt thought of pre preping bacon, alway keep back jerky in hand bag but so difficult to find a sugar free one in the uk.