Understanding ketone levels

I started a relatively strict keto diet last week after listening to several podcasts and reading up on the subject. Kept carbs pretty low and significantly raised my intake of fats. I wasn’t really monitoring macros but a week later I feel great (after a couple of days of serious lethargy).

I’m not overweight and not looking to lose weight, rather I’m interested to see what health benefits I might experience. My friend has a ketone/glucose blood monitor so decided to test myself out. My readings were as follows:

Ketones 3.6 mmol/L
Glucose 4.9 mmol/L

From what I’ve read, my ketone levels are too high which concerns me. I haven’t been able to find many resources about interpreting my results. Can anyone point me towards some good literature about understanding blood measurements and/or comment on my results to let me know if they’re at dangerous levels?

Appreciate any input.

(Bob M) #2

There’s nothing wrong with those values. Unless you’re diabetic, you won’t get into dangerous ketone levels.

Some people believe there’s an “optimal ketosis” level:

Around 1.5 – 3 mmol/L is what’s called optimal ketosis and is recommended for maximum weight loss.

Personally, I’m never above 1.5 unless I fast multiple days. I’m usually between 0.5 and 1.0.

(Allie) #3

Those levels are fine, don’t worry.

(Bob M) #4

And you should also know that protein intake, fat intake, exercise amount (and possibly type), even things like working around the house a lot, fasting, length of time being keto, etc., will affect those values. I get my highest values if I eat a ton of fat or if I fast multiple days. However, I don’t really like eating a lot of fat, so that’s one reason my ketones are so low. That and I’ve been low carb/keto for 5+ years.

Thanks for the input. Reassuring to know my levels aren’t dangerous. Think I may have jumped in head first without fully understanding what I should be doing. Likewise, I’m not a big fan of too much fat. I haven’t been especially active so perhaps I should increase my exercise level to use the ketones and bring my level down a bit. I’m determined to keep going with it as I’m sure I’ve felt better than I’ve felt in a long time on keto.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #6

Except for certain very rare circumstances, ketoacidosis is not a worry if your pancreas is producing insulin at all. Ketone bodies are intermediate metabolites of fatty acids, and your body will probably be producing less once you become fat-adapted (probably in the next six or seven weeks). Fat adaptation is the state where your muscles have regained their ability to metabolize fatty acids completely and will no longer need ketones. At that point, the body gets better at matching production to demand.

The important thing is to keep your carbohydrate low, so as to also keep your insulin low. This will allow fat out of your adipose tissue to be metabolized. There is a fair amount of leeway with your protein intake, and fat is there primarily to fill in the calories no longer coming from carbohydrate.

There are all kinds of additional tweaks, when you’re ready to get into them.