Uncooked

Is it unhealthy to eat uncooked meats,and fats on a keto diet?

(Robin) #2

Nope. Just keep it under 20g carbs.

(David Cooke) #3

In the tropics? Dangerous.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #4

What would be the reason for doing so? Estimates of when we discovered fire go back to at least a million years ago, so it appears likely that a significant part of our evolution has involved cooked food.

That said, carpaccio, steak tartare, and sushi are all considered delicacies, but they have to be very fresh and be prepared carefully. And it does appear, to some researchers, at least, that we may have evolved into carnivores by starting with scavenged meat from carcasses killed by other animals. (They believe this because our stomach acid is so strong.)

I myself would not eat raw or even rare meats chicken or fish. But I have this Russian friend who believes eating raw meat, even meat left out unrefrigerated to where it smells is actually beneficial.
She freezes chop meat then thaws it and eats it raw
She eats certain fats that you order freezes them and then eats it.
The thought of this is repellent to me. But I did see on youtube Mickala Peterson interview a woman who eats raw meat and pieces of animal fat that have been frozen

I see raw meat eating in the carnivore thread all the time, yep, it’s totally a thing. I let them come and say their stuff if they want, I am 1. super careful and 2. LOVE very very well done meats and anyway, my major meat is pork and one just doesn’t eat pork raw like beef or fish.
I only had raw fish, well salmon is so much better raw that I don’t even want to eat it cooked :smiley: Pickled herring is nice too but they add sugar AND sweetener to it so I just daydream about eating it again. Maybe I will try to pickle hake but I probably will be super careful and cook it first. It works with eggs :smiley:

I even heard about spoiled raw meat eating (in my reddit times), those guys are nuts, we don’t have a stomach like vultures… (Anyway, yuck but of course tastes differ.)

If you don’t even like rare meat, it’s not even a question, cook your meats like I do :slight_smile:

Unless you can get Mett… which I absolutely adore. Obviously though, that meat is SO controlled. Yummy.

(Pete A) #8

Ew.

Never heard about it!

And of course one does eat raw pork when it’s processed properly, I did that a lot, at some point it was my almost exclusive meat item on carnivore, those were tough time, I got salt aversion when my salt intake got somewhat near to the recommended keto amount :smiley: My body prefers it way lower and my tastebuds too.
I thought about fresh meat here or just forgot.

In what form does one eat raw pork?

I would never eat raw anything especially pork, not even chop meat even though some do, nor sushi or any animal protein raw. I do eat anchovies though in a Greek salad with Feta cheese olives and grape leaves. I believe these to be ok items on keto. Is that correct?

I ate a lot of this when I lived in Germany after getting over my initial misgivings. It’s really very tasty.

(Mike D) #13

FYI the Japanese have a special freezer for this. It goes below -65f, your average freezer in your home will be lucky if it gets below 20f. When Sushi grade fish is caught, it goes immidiately into ice water on the ship. Once it hits port it is pulled off the ship and hacked up on the spot, no waiting. Goes directly into a specialized Freezer.

In the USA you cannot legally sell Sushi without owning one of these freezers. Even a small one runs upwards of $50,000. This is why you cannot find cheap Sushi.

This is also why you can not grab raw meat from the grocery store shelf and go home and eat it raw. Even steak houses have specialized freezing practices and handling procedures. They get their meat directly from slaughterhouses, not your local grocery store. There use to be some specialized meat stores around in the early 2000s, with higher meat requirements, we use to have one called “Piggly Wiggly”. You cannot find these anymore because they have been driven out of business by big box grocery chains.

Why? Bacteria sure, but there are also a couple dozen parasitic worms that would love to take up residence in your organs or even eat your brain. This is stupid, don’t do it. This does not apply to raw meats cured in various acids. I believe Mexicans have something like this called Saviche.

I eat Ceviche, it cures in lime juice. It’s one of my favourite dishes but I’m careful where I order it. Love sushi too but the idea of raw meat doesn’t appeal to me at all.

(Mike D) #15

I love Sushi, will eat it all day if the restaurant has a high inspection grade. I even have a compromised immune system and feel the risk is worth it. But eating raw meat you get from your local grocery, I would honestly be surprised if you do not already have a parasitic worm in your liver.

I mean 50% of people who love cats already have Toxoplasma Gondii living in their brain, so it is not really one of societies top concerns.

Yeah… pretty sure after 25 years of crazy cat ladying, I’ll be one of those people. That’s not to say that I’d openly welcome ingesting parasites via my meat though. Just saying xD

(Mike D) #17

There was a local girl about 10 years ago that went swimming in our local lake. She accidentally swallowed a single gulp of lake water. Three months later she fell into a coma. The hospital found a huge parasitic worm living in and eating her brain. I did not follow the story if she survived or not, but if she did she had permanent brain damage. She was a 14 year old girl with a fully functional immune system too.

Sounds fabulous o_O

I used to watch that show ‘Monsters Inside Me’ I think it was called? Was a load of that stuff in there.

(Mike D) #19

I just find it scary that a young girl, with a raging teenage immune system, goes to the lake one time and swallows one gulp of lake water and ends up with a parasitic worm eating her brain. It just goes to show you how well these parasites have evolved to infect, like little assassins. It is true “Life will find a way” -Jeff Goldblum(Jurassic Park)