Unconventional Weightlifting / Functional Trainin

(Dustin Ewers) #1

I just picked up some Indian clubs and a sandbag to go with my pile of kettlebells. Anyone else spend time doing unconventional weightlifting stuff?

Random funny to go with this:

(Jennifer Fawcett) #2

JD is hilarious. Watch his utubes on coconut oil and if meat eaters acted like vegans.

Made my day. And he ain’t bad to look at lol. #dirtyoldlady

(Chris) #3

I do kettlebells every day combined with bodyweight stuff. Love it. Way more fun than what I used to do powerlifting years ago.

Also JP is the boss.

I train with kettlebells, do loads of loaded carries and hill sprints :slight_smile:

(Chris) #5

Also I need to update this, it’s been a year and a half and I’ve switched to bodybuilding w/ dumbbells, barbells, machines, etc.

(Robert C) #6

I took a course on the Bulgarian Bag (search “bulgarian bag workout” on YouTube).

It compliments (in my mind) kettlebell perfectly.

Kettlebell is a lot of up and down, can be for strength (deads, presses, goblet squats) or “engine” (swings or snatches for HIIT).

Bulgarian Bag is more ballistic movements, can include a lot of twisting and is fun in that it takes skill from the start (which is nice to iterate on to get better and better). If you have had back problems (as I have had) and take this slow - you can really strengthen your core (greatly reducing re-injury risk). Of course, go crazy with this and you’ll probably hurt your back.

And, it can be done at home, pretty much silently.

(Vladaar Malane) #7

If you have interest in functional training, I recommend looking into Calisthenics. We have quite a few posts in the sub-category there.
https://www.ketogenicforums.com/c/exercise/calisthenics

(April Harkness) #8

I just bought a mace and made my own clubbell!

still learning. I will be taking a mace workshop in May. But just playing around with it till then… so be gentle keto peeps. I am a complete beginner!

and this is me making a clubbell- https://www.instagram.com/p/Br5OsRRBvsM/

still a beginner at this too.