Ultimate Keto Mono Food

(Barbara Greenwood) #1

So I’m fasting today, but crumbled and noshed down a few teaspoons of almond butter. With the idea of a fat fast somewhere in the back of my mind, I read the nutritional breakdown. 100g contains 52g fat, 26g protein and 7.4g carb. By percent of calories, it is 78/17/5, a pretty perfect keto split.

Now it’s obviously not a balanced diet long-term - but it just got me thinking about using a single keto foodstuff for a limited period of time, as an alternative to fasting.

Has anyone done this, and what did you use?

(Sondra Rose) #2

80/20 burger or fatty steak is just about the ideal mono-food, IMO.

Less dietary fat means more body fat being used, once keto-adapted.

Many zero-carbers eat like this on a long-term basis. No phytates or pesky fiber, either!

the optical illusion is that it gives you a protein and fats macro count…but, the protein is incomplete and the fat is heavy on omega 6. Also, @SondraRose brings up other good points.

(Jake P) #4

I have been known to go a few days only eating cheese.

(Michael Wallace Ellwood) #5

Today, I happened to mostly eat just liver sausage. I ate a lot if it because it was the first time I’d been able to find it for a couple of years, and I really like it.

However, I then noticed that it had a pretty good macro breakdown: per 100g:
Carbs 1g, protein 14g, fat 27g.

It was also surprisingly filling. I don’t suppose I’d want to eat it day in day out, but I could certainly eat it for a few days in succession. In practice, I’d also include eggs and maybe cheese.
(Generally speaking though, I’d probably be eating beef or lamb in one of their several forms, together with eggs and butter).

(Jennifer) #6

Yum… there is a local restaurant here that servers pastured pig and grass fed beef. They make and sell braunschweiger. Man, I think I need to stop by, and pick some up.

(eat more) #7

just last night i saw a recipe for braunschweiger, pistachio, cream cheese, bacon balls and thought i should find some for myself

(Jennifer) #8

That sounds awesome!

(Barbara Greenwood) #9

I just had lunch at a cafe in town - flax seed bread (flax seed, almond flour, eggs, butter - I asked) with lemony cream cheese, smashed avocado and crispy bacon. Very, very filling. I could live on that twice a day, plus the odd cup of coffee with cream.

Although, if I’m honest, I don’t think the lemony cream cheese was quite as good as the cheddar I had last time. Either way, my Freestyle Libre likes it, as an hour later my BG hasn’t moved.