UK's obesity crisis BLAMED on NHS advice: Rules on eating Carbs are harmful, say experts

(Alan Williamson) #1

"A trio of leading medics said guidelines that made bread, pasta and potatoes the base of the nation’s diet have had disastrous consequences for millions and created a time bomb for the NHS.

They have called for an urgent review of dietary advice which was drawn up 35 years ago. Cardiologist Dr Aseem Malhotra, the Queen’s former doctor Sir Richard Thompson and nutritionist Sarah Macklin, said NHS instructions should be ignored in favour of a low-carbohydrate, Mediterranean diet to beat diabetes, obesity and heart disease."

(Allie) #2

I don’t normally have time for The Express as it’s generally full of crap, but I like this one.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #3

But remember—in “Men in Black,” it’s the tabloids that give us the straight news! :smiley:

(Allie) #4

But we know that’s not real @PaulL :joy:

(Ethan) #5

And yet they claim in the article that the Mediterranean diet is low in carbs.

(Allie) #6

Well it is low compared to commercial junk diets…

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #7

What?!? I thought those films were documentaries! :hear_no_evil:

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #8

The real mediterranean diet is fairly low carb compared to the SWD. And certainly to what the USDA pushes as med.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #9

And of course there is really no such thing as “the” Mediterranean diet: there are lots of different traditional diets of many different Mediterranean peoples.

The point I find most interesting is that in Nina Teicholz’ account of how the “Mediterranean Diet” got its start, the traditional cooking fat in that part of the world, from classical antiquity up till modern times, was lard.

(Doug) #10

My wife’s parents’ families came from Sicily and southern Italy - Basilicata. Heck yes, lard was it.