UK Newbie Losing Heart!

People do not even agree what max heart rate is. When I do HIIT I go way over my theoretical (calculated) max which is suppose to be 220 minus your age which for me is 155 but I use to go way way over to 180+. Some say your max is whatever you can get it to. I can get it a lot higher if I take longer to get it there like 5-10 minutes and that’s after a 1.5 hour warm up. After that it’s easier but the higher I get it the longer it takes to come down and it takes longer to come down each time it hits a high rate.

At my age it’s actually hard to hit the max without running up a hill but hill running is very hard on the calves and achilles tendon. Ive tried but cannot get it to max on a bike without riding a long distance first which I’m trying to avoid. If the hill is just the right angle and length then I can do it without running. I can do it hiking trails but they are not usable in the winter if it’s a rainy one like this year . . . Life is tuff :wink:

This image is of my 8 mile hike. I walk up the BIG hill and run up the shorter ones . . .

(Little Miss Scare-All) #26

Yeah this is true. It’s mostly accepted, but argued. Ive heard different versions as well. But I generally stick with the good old 220-age, tho even during HIIT I have intervals I pop up 5 beats or so over. But I think it’s a safety guide thing. If most of us do 220-age, we can be almost sure that we’re upping our HGH secretion and reqping the benefits of anaerobic exercise.

Since keto, I get from 184bpm to 90bpm in a little under 5 minutes. Im happy with that. Before keto it took about 6.5min

I hit 185 but I havn’t hit 190 in about 40 years but back then i could hit 220 :wink:

I think it was hitting 185 a few times that got me into keto not the other way round LOL because I had to still walk up hill for 3 miles to get back to my car. But now I can do 16 miles if my feet hold up. And that’s while fasting . . .

(Little Miss Scare-All) #28

Thats one of many reasons I love a good challenging hike, cuz it has built in HIIT with long inclines. It bullies you into doing it, especially once you hit 50% completion, because you have no choice but to keep going lol

I’m going tomorrow, we finally got a full week of sun and warmth . . . I hope I don’t choke on the smell from all the flowers LOL

(Little Miss Scare-All) #30

I hope you enjoy! Take some pics! I wanted to go this past weekend but it was raining and the mud…