Uh

(Consensus is Politics) #1

This worries me. I need to pay much more attention to the labels. And then, if they can lie upfront? Then what about on the back? Who watches the watchers?

I have heard in the past, that they can say something is 100% something, on the label, as long as when they put it in, it was 100% at some point :roll_eyes: And later. An add ANYTHING else they wanted to later.

(Allie) #2

I think it has to be 98% or higher to be labelled as 100%. At least that’s the rule in the UK.

(matt ) #3

If you want fiber just buy the actual psyllium husks.

(Keto in Katy) #4

In the U.S. it’s probably like > 50% = 100%

Numbers are very fluid things when you have something to sell.

Why do you need fiber on a keto diet? The electrolytes keep me healthy.

(Consensus is Politics) #6

Helps keep things flowing smoothly.

(Consensus is Politics) #7

Oh. And the maltodextrin. I just found out according to Dr Berg, it has a glycemic index of 110. Almost 2x that of table sugar.

No wonder my BG has these occasional spikes that go unexplained.

(What The Fast?!) #8

How much do you use and how often?

(CharleyD) #9

61 names of sugar, commit it to memory:

Agave nectar
Barbados sugar
Barley malt
Barley malt syrup
Beet sugar
Brown sugar
Buttered syrup
Cane juice
Cane juice crystals
Cane sugar
Caramel
Carob syrup
Castor sugar
Coconut palm sugar
Coconut sugar
Confectioner’s sugar
Corn sweetener
Corn syrup
Corn syrup solids
Date sugar
Dehydrated cane juice
Demerara sugar
Dextrin
Dextrose
Evaporated cane juice
Free-flowing brown sugars
Fructose
Fruit juice
Fruit juice concentrate
Glucose
Glucose solids
Golden sugar
Golden syrup
Grape sugar
HFCS (High-Fructose Corn Syrup)
Honey
Icing sugar
Invert sugar
Malt syrup
Maltodextrin
Maltol
Maltose
Mannose
Maple syrup
Molasses
Muscovado
Palm sugar
Panocha
Powdered sugar
Raw sugar
Refiner’s syrup
Rice syrup
Saccharose
Sorghum Syrup
Sucrose
Sugar (granulated)
Sweet Sorghum
Syrup
Treacle
Turbinado sugar
Yellow sugar

(CharleyD) #10

I would probably add Natural Flavoring to it but it’s such an ambiguous term that there’s a chance it might not be sugar, hah.

(KCKO, KCFO) #11

You could grind up your own flaxseeds as needed. That way you know nothing is added to your fiber. It contains some Omega 3 and Omega 6 oils. But the OMG 6 oil should be okay in such small amounts.

(KCKO, KCFO) #12

Megan Ramos mentioned in a podcast, I think with Jimmy’s old podcasts, that beaver glands are used in some products for natural flavor. They had done some research and were amazed to learn that was used.

(Consensus is Politics) #13

I feel ashamed that I didn’t even think of looking for such a list. /facepalm

(Consensus is Politics) #14

Way too much, and far too often.

(Roy D) #15

Yes, I’ve run into the same thing. I’ve come to learn that when a product is labeled “Sugar Free”, it does not always mean it has a low glycemic index (GI).

An example includes Sugar Free Jello. The Jell-O brand contains Maltodextrin, but I’ve found Walmart’s generic brand (Great Value), although also labeled “Sugar Free” does not contain Maltodextrin (it contains Aspartame as a sweetener).

I found it interesting that Dr. Westman’s Heal-Clinics has a recipe for for Sugar-Free Chocolate Mousse. The recipe calls out for 1 box of sugar free pudding mix. The only sugar free pudding mix I can find is produced by Jell-O, which contains Maltodextrin. Only thing I image is that the quantity of pudding recommended by the Heal-Clinic is so small that it has a small impact on the overall GI.

Lesson learned is that although a product is labeled “Sugar Free”, it does not always have a low GI and comparable products may have different ingredients that are acceptable.

(Roy D) #16

Heal-Clinic’s Chocolate Mousse recipe;

(Keto in Katy) #17

I think the importance of fiber—like many other things that we have come to believe about nutrition—may be heavily overstated.

I eat mostly meat and fat and I’m as regular as a clock. I’ve heard the same from others who include very little fiber in their diet. Maybe some people need it, I don’t know, but I don’t think it is a general rule for everyone.

(CharleyD) #18

yay castoreum, if you’ve ever hunted the largest rodent, you’ll be quite averse to it.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #19

Ditto. Though I wouldn’t say I’m “regular,” exactly, because it’s not every day or even always the same number of days in between, just that I no longer experience constipation or diarrhea. Things simply progress the way they are supposed to. Although I will say that now, when nature calls, she calls pretty loudly!

(Sophie) #20

My understanding it that is some stinky shit! :nauseated_face: