Type 2 Diabetic

(mole person) #17

Mine did the last time I saw her. I told her I was on a ketogenic diet and she said “what kind of ketogenic diet?”. So I told her it was a very low carb, moderate protein, high fat diet. To which she said high fat was bad and would clog my arteries. Then she actually said “the vegan diet is the healthiest diet.” :roll_eyes::open_mouth::zipper_mouth_face:

(mole person) #18

What’s CW?

(Janet) #19

End of discussion with doctors who “do not agree” with very low carb diets: http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/diacare/early/2019/04/10/dci19-0014.full.pdf

(Janet) #20

(Alec) #21

Conventional Wisdom.

(Alec) #22

Maybe it’s finally happening… the cracks are getting wider every day… :clap::clap::clap:

(Janet) #23

No maybe its a crack…this is a tectonic plate shift in the ADA position on LC diets as treatment. UK, Europe and parts of Australia already offer low carb as an option. This is an early release statement from the authors, it will take time for the ADA to get this news out. We can take it to our doctors now. Diabetic, pre-diabetic or just wanting to control blood glucose…low carb is a Healthy Option.

(Consensus is Politics) #24

Unfortunately its called “immunity”. Or The immunity clause. Politicians, lawmakers, police, doctors, vaccine manufacturers, all have immunity. Legally they are assumed to have nothing but your best interests at heart, and therefore CAN NOT BE HELD ACCOUNTABLE for any problems that arrise. This is why you cant sue the Doctor or Drug company when your kid dies from a complication because too much mercury was used in the Lot of vaccine used that day.

They can be sued, if you are able to prove intent. Good luck with that. I mean, everyone knows that those people ALL are saints, are looking out for us, and if course, eat low fat, its good for you.

(Janet) #25

Paul28023,
check the list updated yesterday and all the other list options posted previously. Keto Friendly Doctor List?

(Judy Thompson) #26

JEY100: Wow! I didn’t make it through the entire 24 pp of this article but there’s a nice chart showing the best dietary results from “Low carbohydrate” and "Low - Low Carbohydrate (20 - 50g). They do also want to limit sodium and saturated fats but after all they’re subject to AMA restrictions and have to behave to some degree :wink:
My doctor whom I saw yesterday said to keep keto to short bursts “for losing a little weight.” FGS woman, I have over 60 lbs left to lose and I’d like to finish losing it before I die lol

(Consensus is Politics) #27

[edit: LMAO… OH! I posted this because “do keto in short bursts” wasnt defined. LMAO… well, I got side tracked to hell and back. I’ve been doing Keto for 18 months or so now? Is that too long? Too short? Am I gonna die from carb deprivation now? Or is my diabetes gonna come back from eating all this fat? TLDR: meaningless drivel follows. Read on for a cheap laugh. You have been warned. [I dont delete previous thoughts. I let them fall where they may :grimacing: ]

Dont you just like when medical professionals say things vaguely? One of my biggest pet peeves is written right on pretty much every medicine bottle. I’ll go grab one and quote it, brb… Wow… sorry just got back. Not a single bottle of any of my meds have the missed dose intructions anymore. Probably because I ask them too many questions about defining “almost time” :cowboy_hat_face:

The following quote comes from the Mayo Clinic site… for Prednisone (randomly picked from a google search for missing a dose)

“If you miss a dose of this medicine, take it as soon as possible. However, if it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not double doses.”

My pet peeve has always been, time scale. “Almost time for your next dose”. Is that measured in hours or minutes? Just how close is too close? If its such a problem to take the missed dose at 0745 hrs, and my next dose is at 0800 hrs I need to skip the missed dose? Then why even bother saying take the missed dose ASAP unless its too close? If missing it because its too close is OK, then why bother stating take it ASAP after missing it. How about just stay on schedule? If you miss a dose, within the hour you should have taken it, then dont stress! Its no big deal! Just get your arse back on track with the next dose! “Do we need to be your Mommy and call you up and tell you when to take your meds!?!” [which was what one doctor made me feel like when I was joking about how the label read one day. He didnt take kindly to sarcasm, but he could sure deal it out.

I get it though. I Understand the ‘why’. But its the implementation. I know of plenty of people who would simply ignore the labeling because it makes little sense, as well as some people who would stress out over the timing “I missed it by 4 hours! My next does is in 4 hours? So I take it now? Or skip it and get back on schedule?” as they rend their clothing and pull out their hair.

Personally I just take the missed meds ASAP and then take the next dose on a modified schedule keeping the doses near evenly separated the same as the original schedule. Its probably not worth the stress, regardless :sunglasses:

LMAO… I just realized, this took me so long to finish (busy around the house getting side tracked) That I have no recollection of the ‘why’ to this reply. I have the feeling it was something about docs being vague for one reason or another. I’d insert a self deprecating joke here, but I’m not even sure it would be appropriate :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

I’ll post anyway… worst case I offend someone, and I’m sorry. Alternatively, I make someone laugh, in that case, its all worth it! :sunglasses:

Keto Vitae!

(Full Metal KETO AF) #28

This just made me feel ill…:frowning:

(Judy Thompson) #29

I love your dosage diatribe. I’m with you - is this science??
Doing keto in short bursts to “lose a little weight” doesn’t even apply to me. I was off kilter about it enough to break my fast early yesterday but nowhere near enough off kilter to eat a bunch of starch or whatever.

Yes, they’re really obtuse about this fat thing. I told her I’d read that the Ancel Keys and Framingham study was bunk and that a lot of other studies supported opposite theories; she didn’t know and “would have to disagree.”
To her credit she repeated a couple times that my health choices are up to me. Even when she ordered the immunizations.

(Consensus is Politics) #30

When I was diagnosed with T2DM in 2017, I had the option to go to a diabetic nutrition class taught by a Nutritionist RN. I jumped on it.

The dx came as a shock. I was pretty much in a mild state of shock. “Not me. This kind of stuff always happens to the other guy”.

So in the class the Nutritionist states at one point that we need to eat between 60 to 180 grams of carbohydrates. Probably 10 or 15 minutes later she looks at me and says, “Mr Johnson, you look confused”. I then said, “you keep saying 60-180 grams of carbs. But you arent saying if thats per meal or per day.” She busted up laughing, along with the other dozen or so diabetics in the class. She said, “per meal of course silly”, with a big smile.

Another little bit of time goes by, and I’m giggling and snikering under my breath like Renfield, which prompts the Nurse… “Mr Johnson, did I say something funny?” Which caught me off guard and I blurted it out, “Pfft… per meal! I used to eat only 50 per day a few years ago when I went low carb for a few months! This is gonna be so fudging easy!” Only I didnt say fudging. :man_facepalming:t2:

She leaned over to me and whipered in my ear “we dont talk like that hear Mr Johnson. You arent allowed to say anything about Low Carb in this class” :scream: So flippant use of the Queen mother of dirty words is ok, but saying low carb is forbidden. :thinking:

(Linda) #31

So I guess this means that all of the obese and or pre/already diabetic patients can now expect a big fat apology?
haha

(Linda) #32

I’ve been seeing my current PCP for more than three years now. Since my first visit, I have shed 54 pounds and my blood work is great, my Type II diabetes gone. When she saw my answers on the eating habits check list on my Medicare Wellness visit survey(no grains, very few carbs and lots of protein and fat), her response was that I need to eat the HEALTHY fats and not bacon.

I’m not going back. Nothing like just having to drop a turd in my happy picnic basket.

(Consensus is Politics) #33

“Hey ya Booboo! Did you leave this here present in the pic-a-nic basket for Mister Ranger?”

“Sorry Yogi, no. But I did see a doctor with a really bad attitude messing around with it. I think Mister Ranger said that was his endocrinologist.”

“Well Booboo, lets skip this one and go see what the campers have on the other side of the park. I heard there was gonna be a Ketofest this weekend!”

“Yeah Yogi, thise Ketonians are smarter than the average Nutritionist! I bet theres gonna be plenty bacon!”

(Paul H) #34

Thank you! but closest is hours away… I like some of the comments they had though… Some are getting it… numbers don’t lie…

(Janet) #35

The laws on tele-med licensing vary by state and ever changing. Dr Westman, through his Heal Clinic, after an initial health assessment, may be able to offer health coaching continued by Skype. His program is “uncomplicated Keto” 20g Total carbs, only foods on a list. Many of the diabetes educators/dietitians can work by phone/Skype. Have you been following the newest version of Dr Fung’s podcast, Low Carb MD? I listen to a lot of nutrition podcasts and at first wasn’t impressed, but the hosts are better at interviewing now and have a focus on health issues, larger men. Dr Tro lost 150 pounds and is on a mission with his new clinic…he has programs to help patients at distance. At the least, he has some good free resources on his new clinic website, 30 podcasts already produced. https://www.doctortro.com/ So if you can’t find someone locally on that Obesity med list, you might consider some of these newer tele-med services. And now that the ADA has announced this new guideline including Very LC diets of 20-50g as an option for treatment, your local doctor and diabetes educator might be onboard immediately.

(Paul H) #36

Thank you Janet! I will check into the podcasts. Frankly from the Dr all I want is their overview and expertise in reviewing my blood tests. Sure I will go in for annual checkups but, skype/phone would work just fine for me otherwise. Yes, I am seeing more acceptance and hoping that will lead to more education on their part.