Type 1 diabetic new to this

(Julie) #1

I am a type 1 diabetic and just started on this diet about 5 days ago. I think I’m doing it right because my Ketone test show I have ketones every morning. I haven’t experienced any Lowe’s yet though. Does that mean I’m doing something wrong? I have not Incorporated any regular exercise yet though. Any feedback from people have been doing this for a while will be appreciated

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #2

Google Troy Stapleton and LCDU to see some videos by Dr. Stapleton, an Australian radiologist who developed Type I diabetes around 40 years of age. His experience is illuminating. For him, the biggest benefit of keto is that his blood sugar stays in such a stable range that he doesn’t have to worry about hypoglycemic episodes. He only needs to take his base dose of insulin each day, and doesn’t need to try to calculate how much to take with each meal. But don’t listen to me, go watch his videos and let him explain it! The LCDU YouTube channel also has some talks by parents describing how a ketogenic diet has benefited their Type I children.

Good luck to you, and I hope you see some benefits from your new way of eating.

Thank you for sharing this I just watched one of his videos and I am hopeful and inspired … I am 53 y/o and have been type 1 since age 9 i have always been under decent control but after starting menopause a year ago I have been on a crazy blood sugar roller coaster … i know there will be a learning curve with this but his video has helped greatly
Thanks again
Kat

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #4

I’m glad it helped!

Have you discovered the Type I Grit site? It’s based in Australia, but I believe they accept members from anywhere. There is also a diabetes organization in the U.K., primarily for people with Type II, I believe, but if I recall correctly, they have a Type I section as well.

Most of the posts about diabetes on these forums seem to involve Type II, especially since the Dudes are/were both Type II, but this is a good community, and so you should feel free to share whatever issues you need to. We may not be able to offer practical advice, but we can offer support and science. :bacon: