Trying to figure this "Ketone" thing out

(Terence Dean) #21

Thanks for clarifying your context because that makes a difference. Yes 20g is very effective for maintaining nutritional ketosis but I agree it is very difficult to get all the nutrients you require without supplements. I’m having my blood tested to see whether I am getting enough nutrients from my daily intake.

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #22

The funny thing about nutrients is that if you eat whole keto foods, like eggs, you can be pretty complete without funding the unregulated supplement industry.

I’m down to pretty much one nutritional supplement, but might add a fiber bump for the prebiotic effect. And pretty much no one gets their RDA of magnesium from food, much less the mega dose that I like.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #23

No, but my guess is that before, when they were recommending 100-125 g, it was because they were dealing with fat-adapted athletes, and now that they are dealing with diabetics, they had to lower the number in order to get them into ketosis.

Carl and Richard have always recommended 20 g, because at that level practically everyone but the most absolutely metabolically deranged can get into ketosis. I read somewhere once that they really wanted to recommend 0 g, but didn’t think anyone would go for that. :grin:

(Terence Dean) #24

Yes I agree with 20g being a recommendation especially for newbies, for me that level does work better if keeping ketones high is a priority.

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #25

Somewhere, the ghost of Robert Atkins is nodding in agreement. 20g for newbs, lower if that doesn’t get you there.