Trying MAF for the winter, couple of questions

(John) #1

The wife got me a trainer and I got it set up, doing my first ride tomorrow. I really think the 131-141 range is low but what do I know, i’m going to do it anyway. I’ve only been riding for a few months so I suspect that I will see some pretty good results over the next 5-6 months.

Q1: How many hours to ride? Currently I can only get out once or twice a week and I ride about 3 hours each time, I assume at this HR I can train almost every day, is 1.5 hours 5-6 days a week too much?

Q2: How do you store your training? I have Strava but not sure how indoor stuff works.

Q3: What do you put in your shorts? I have a couple of expensive bibs but don’t think washing them 2-3 times a week is bright, do you get some pads to put under regular shorts or what?

Thanks for any info!

(WanderinJack) #2

After a year I’m totally on the MAF koolaid. My MAF times have improved by about 30% and most importantly I love running again. It’s simple and effective. I’m not a cyclist so I do net have any advise there.

The app I use for tracking is Fitiv, paid version… There is free MAF app on the maffetone website but it’s poorly conceived and isn’t really the MAF method. The app is good at one thing and that is quickly indicating when the heart rate goes outside of the MAF zone…and that is about the only thing it’s good at. So I run both apps at the same time it’s the MAF app in the foreground or it won’t indicate when you are out of the heart range. Good luck and make sure you do a baseline MAF test. Not sure how you can do that on a bike so you might consider doing it running on a high school track under very controlled conditions.

(ianrobo) #3

OK Jim, first good luck on the trainer I hate them !!

1. If doing MAF and building up you aerobic base then definitely around 6-8 hours a week, I would suggest 3 sessions of 1.5 hours at MAF and then some HIIT for the rest but 90 mins on a trainer is boring and you will get saddle sore !

2. Strava is fine but get a speed sensor, presume no power meter so doing this by HR ?

3. NO, NO and NO even if you are perfect aircon and fans you will sweat far more than normal rides and because not moving around in the saddle the pressure points are far far worse on those delicate areas. So you definitely wear your normal cycling shorts and you must put on chamois or similar type of creams !

(John) #4

Thanks, did 45 minutes this morning and hell was that boring! I think a lot of it is the just constant pedaling, no little hills or anywhere to coast. I do HIIT stuff before lifting 3 days a week so I should be covered there.

I my speed sensor wouldn’t connect for some reason today but I got the HR good and steady for a half hour.
I had a fan, window open and still sweat like a pig, you were not kidding!

(ianrobo) #5

yeah it is horrible because obviously outside you have the cool air even if really hot that helps, nowhere to hide on a static, personally 90 mins is enough for me but if doing MAF it is incredibly boring as trainers really designed for HIIT more than long endurance rides. However if conditions outside do not allow for proper ride what can you do ?

(John) #6

Guess I will keep updating here so I can stick with it and track progress.

I did 2 indoor sessions with a day rest in between. Today warmed up quite a bit so despite 45 minutes yesterday I went out for my first outdoor MAF attempt. The good news is that riding at this heart rate is so easy you could do 2-3 days in a row without really noticing I think. A little saddle sore but that’s it.
It was an adjustment for sure, it was a course I know well so all of the places I normally sprint or get ready to climb or whatever I just…don’t, just keep Sunday driving 45 on the freeway!
There are 2 steep climbs, on the first one my heart rate got up to 151 for a couple of minutes but my usual there is maxing out at 187-190 and I couldn’t go slower without just doing a track stand.
The second was weird, it is kind of in the middle of nowhere yet on the middle of the climb I hear a high pitched “ON YOUR LEFT!” and turn to see who it was and as best I can tell it was a snail on the road that was passing by me :slight_smile:

Made it back though with plenty of gas in the tank, I could easily sustain that pace for as long as my butt and shoulders would allow.

Check out this line:

Average line there is 135 and 131-141 is my MAF number so stayed right in the middle with few brief trips over.

All my upper numbers

Looks like about 2 MPH slower across the board, 3-4 MPH slower on the climbs. All in all not too bad, i’m not worried about trying to go faster or cheat into a higher number, just gonna keto it, trust in the process and enjoy.

(ianrobo) #7

the MAF test can work of course on the trainer as the test is static in terms of conditions and you should soon see the speed go up.

(WanderinJack) #8

Since I’ve bumped up my IF and gone even more keto (80% fat) a few weeks ago to 20/2 I’ve noticed that may MAF time is way slower than before. I’m thinking it because I need more o2 to metabolize the additional fat. Any thoughts on this.