Trip to Mexico

(Sani Bella) #1

I’m going to Mexico soon and I’m worried about finding keto food. Any suggestions from those who have stayed in ketosis on a trip to Mexico?

I have never successfully stayed in ketosis whilst in Mexico (chips, salsa, beer, margaritas …). Me personally, if I am going to go to Italy, I am going to eat pasta - I go to Mexico I am going to drink the margarita! But seriously, consider not being so serious every once in a while or hard on yourself - you may be able do a little cheat and set yourself up for success when you come back. I find it helps tremendously with long term will power. Also, you may not be able to cheat a little do to your personal situation - if a cheat is not an option, I’d suggest sticking to clear liquors (e.g. tequila) on the rocks or in soda, cheese, seafood/foul/meat, veggies … Does this help at all?

This is not true for everyone. Some people have a “little cheat” that lasts for years.

Thanks CaroIT, I have edited my post accordingly - you are correct that not everyone is able to cheat and recover - we are all different and need to approach things accordingly.

(Georgia) #5

I wasn’t keto when I was in Cabo in September. Where are you staying - in a hotel or a time share? I was in a time share so I would have had access to a grill and a full kitchen. Will you have access to a grocery store? There may be a Costco or a Walmart where you can find keto acceptable food. Even the larger Mexican chains have U.S. familiar brands.

Don’t be afraid to ask to alter your meals. I would have tried to learn phrases so I could ask for no rice or no beans.

(Kara) #6

Carnitas are your friend. It’s just roast pork shoulder and often fatty. Avocados should be easy enough to come by (perhaps in guacamole form). And as someone else suggested, if you’re able to grocery shop and cook you can definitely eat keto the whole trip.

Anytime I travel I pack about a pound of cooked bacon, and that’s usually good enough as a snack when I’m having trouble finding a meal. You can add macadamia nuts or other keto snacks too. I find this snack supply is enough to keep me on track.

Carnitas + lettuce wrap (water may be suspect in Mexico that they wash produce with) + guac + salsa = bueno!

What about doing an alternate day IF? Like Fung says, your life should be enjoyed with times of Feast and times of Fast.

(Kara) #9

And how did I forget chicharrones?? They are just fried pork rinds. Excellent for dipping in guac!

I don’t consider Mexico as a difficult place to stay in keto. Lots of keto options are available to you:

Fish and seafood
Nopales (cactus leaf - has very low carb and high fiber)
Avocado
Pico de gallo
Cheeses (lots of variety of full fat cheese and sour cream or “crema”)
Chicharones
Grilled meats
Fajitas
Carnitas

And I’ve often been to restaurants where I asked the wait staff if I can have an omelette with cheese (or plain), even if it’s not on the menu. No restaurant has ever said “no”.

I don’t see being in Mexico as a challenge really.

Wrong!!! I’ve been to both countries, and more, multiple times, and found it easy to eat keto.

(Larry Lustig) #12

There are at least three different Mexicos:

1. Tourist Mexico in which whatever needs your have are likely to be catered for, in English.

2. Coastal Mexico where seafood will be readily available.

3. Inland Mexico, AKA “Mexico”.

Much Mexican food is Keto as long as you avoid the staples of rice, beans, and (oh so sadly) tortillas. The stuff that goes on the tortillas is perfectly good (roast or stewed meat, cheese, crema. So you can just eat the filling of the tortilla. Unfortunately there generally isn’t that much filling, but the items should be cheap enough.

Also, we’re just heading into aguacate (avocado) season, so lucky you?

Sin arroz, sin frijoles, and sin tortillas is “without rice, beans, and tortillas” respectively. If you’re more ambitious Tristemente, no peudo comer – is “Sadly, I cannot eat --”.

Buen suerte! (Good luck!)

Thank you Fiorella for your reply. I have edited my post so as to remove the “you” with “I” but think I put enough qualifications in the post so that is totally palatable (pun intended). I take no offense to your “Wrong!!!” as my goals, approach, perspective on Keto are different than many others. As I’ve posted before I cycle 1 month Keto, 1 month “slow carb” (google it) and 1 month low carb (less than 100 grams) and this is what works currently best for me. I hope by my perspective, although slightly different than a hard core ZC would be welcomed on this forum. Again no offense taken nor any intended with my response. Keto on!

(Meeping up the Science!) #14

Few of us are hard core zero carb. I actually cycle back and forth, myself.

A bigger issue is potential metabolic damage when going off-plan. Insulin is the culprit, not the carbs per se, and going in and out of ketosis frequently is likely to be less desirable if the goal is to keep systemic inflammation lower at all times. There’s a place for all perspectives.

Of course, everyone has different needs and goals, too. The nice thing about traveling these days is you can pretty much customize your food to your desired preferences and experience, unless you’re doing some sort of cultural immersion stuff, of course!

The majority of people on this forum are not ZC. Spend one minute looking at the recipes in this forum, and that would be quite evident that ZC is heavily outnumbered. Look at my post above, providing recommendation to the OP, and you will also see the strategy I shared is no way ZC, but keto.

You will also notice that I don’t suggest that the OP indulge in carbs…and I actually answered the OP’s question, which was “I’m worried about finding keto food. Any suggestions from those who have stayed in ketosis on a trip to Mexico?” The OP said that they are worried…and I don’t doubt other keto people looking at vacations would be worried, too. Especially those with pretty deranged metabolisms, that take years of repair, and only a few days to reverse the repair.

Thanks Donna - I personally don’t have any health issues and generally do what I do to keep the middle age lbs off, for athletic performance and mental clarity. But I could see if someone is trying to reverse Type 2 diabetes that cycling in and out would be a bad idea.

Thank you Fiorella for your passionate responses.

Thank you for your passionate and repetitive advertising of your eating protocol “cycle 1 month Keto, 1 month “slow carb” (google it) and 1 month low carb (less than 100 grams)”.

It is very noticeable that you have repeated this advertisement in many posts on ketogenicforums.

(Karen Parrott) #19

I’d stick with cooked meats, eggs , and be very careful with salads. I know several folks who return with parasites from the lettuce washed in non filtered water.

Things may have changed, especially at resorts. Enjoy your trip and some of the best steak I ever had was in a non tourist area of Tijuana.

(Meeping up the Science!) #20

I think we all become passionate about the ways we find good health and happiness in our lives. I think there is room for many perspectives, as well. Let’s please try to remember to focus on this - which is a reminder for me too as I tend to be very passionate and zealous about my choices regarding keto, myself! I used to be far more off-putting in the early low carb forum days. You guys would have hated me :slight_smile: