Trip to Mexico

(Richard Morris) #21

We’re all still learning how to have a civilized discussion especially about our differences … this discourse forum is still very new to all of us.

If it’s going to be the hub for the ketogenic community that we hope it will be, then there will be people who are advocating a way of eating that is antithetical to our own. For example a person trying to cut the last couple of % of body fat for aesthetic purposes, will have an entirely different version of the ketogenic diet that I will as a T2DM trying to keep 10 toes.

(Amanda Graham) #22

I’m also planning a trip to Mexico, I’m staying at a resort so there will be a lot of options. I currently do daily IF by skipping breakfast, and eating lunch & dinner. My plan is to reverse and eat breakfast and have a late dinner. Breakfast at a resort will be easy to eat keto with meats, and the omelette station.

I have found that you can pretty much travel anywhere and find food to accommodate Keto eating. I worried about my trip to Thailand but it was easy to stay on course. It was the plane food on Air China that I could not eat and the layover in China. Lucky I brought food with me…cheese whisps, beef jerky, nuts, etc. Bring some snacks with you. I have traveled all over Mexico and you will be fine! Have a great time. :slight_smile:

(Sani Bella) #24

Thank you for all the advice! Luckily my husband speaks Spanish, so he can help me order food the way I need it.

(Jesus Herrera) #25

Hi!!! I used to live in Mexico City, I don’t know to which city you are travelling, but in Mexico City you can find everything. I move to a small city (you can call it a town near volcanoes :slight_smile: ) and still I could find a lot of food and some restaurants where you can ask for some special cooked food so you can stay in keto. Actually you can find a lot of high fat food in Mexico. I know that if you’re on vacations the food is going to be full of carbs, for example if you go to a resort. But normally you can find a lot of food. Good Luck!!!

(janet brown) #26

i am actually traveling to Italy on the 6th for business and was actually worried as i am only two weeks into my journey. Your suggestions are really helpful and will resolve to stick to my goal. With just two weeks under my belt, having a cheat meal is not an option.

Just bring plenty of Keto food with you for plane, times when you can’t find anything Keto to eat, etc. Italy has wonderful food. Salads, meats, cheeses, etc. I brought little packets of coconut oil also and Skinny Girl to sweeten my coffees and teas. You will be fine if you are prepared. Congratulations on having two weeks! I started at the end of June last year. Best thing I have done for myself.

Don’t worry about finding keto foods in Italy. There’s tons of it!

And keep in mind, that the restaurants cater to tourists, looking for a cheap meal to save money, and who don’t really know what real italian food is. So, the restaurant put lots of pasta (cheap fare) on the menu. All my family members who live in Italy poke fun at that.

How can you not stay in keto in a country that regularly eats loads of fish & seafood, and other stuff like extra virgin olive oil, carpaccio, prosciutto, mozzarella di buffula, and lardo? Seriously.

Check this out…a specialty from Tuscany, literally called “lardo”…it’s cured pork lard…I love it:

(What The Fast?!) #29

Oooohhh!!! INTERESTING!!! Tell me more about this! How is it going for you? What are the benefits? Do you watch your protein intake on ZC or just eat meat to satiety??

(Meeping up the Science!) #30

Well I am Very Weird and a WLS patient, so I shoot for 80-90g of protein daily, and the rest is typically fat whatever I eat. I’m not hungry much on ZC. I notice that plant introduction immediately triggers hunger again, which isn’t necessarily bad, I suppose. I eat to satiety long before I limit my consumption, if that makes sense?

Meaning, I weigh everything, and measure, but I am typically full before that.

A typical ZC meal for me might be 4oz of beef heart, or liver, or a combination. I wind up eating 12-16 oz of meat a day, and sometimes random full-fat dairy as whims suit me. Usually I skip dairy when I can, but I do like cream and ghee and full-fat yogurt (plain).

I do try to eat a wider variety of types of meat, though I take vitamins so I typically am unconcerned about micronutrients. I had a few vitamin deficiencies about six months ago, and have been struggling with a very slight potassium deficiency. I did have a vitamin D one for a while, but @erdoke helped me with supplements for it and I’m currently good. The vitamin D and potassium were unrelated to diet. Vitamin D I’ve had issues with for 20 years, long before low carb, and potassium took a hit after WLS, weirdly. It, too, is “normal” at the moment.

(A ham loving ham! - VA6KD) #31

I found lardon in France which is small cubes of fatty pork back. They love to throw hot lardon in salads and as a garnish for a plated meal…so delicious!

(Georgia) #32

Hot lardons in a salad are bacon croutons. Nobody should argue with bacon croutons. :bacon:

(A ham loving ham! - VA6KD) #33

What was funny was when I discovered them, I was meeting for lunch with friends from Quebec who happened to be visiting Paris at the same time. There are some differences between traditional French and Quebec French and they had no idea what lardons were, nor had they ever heard the word before.