Tried carnivore, now I can't eat nightshades - what happened?

Hi, I have had a rather strange experience dabbling with carnivore. I tried it after going keto a few months ago. I had been doing keto for maybe a month, then I tried zero carb after hearing about Mikhaila Peterson curing her depression with it. She also had joint problems before trying the diet which was her main reason for doing it. I have never had joint problems but I was hoping it would cure my depression and anxiety problems. It did in fact lift my depression, it was amazing how instantly happy I was, but I also had really bad diarrhea. So bad that I gave up. When I quit though, I actually had a ridiculous similar experience to what she mentioned having from before that got worse coming off the diet. Suddenly, like her my joints felt like they were seizing, inflamed and were extremely painful. I also got itching all over my body and rashes (more symptoms Peterson also had) and the depression was worse. I was in so much pain I could hardly move the affected joints (mostly arms and legs but later my hip and shoulders were hurting too). I tried going on AIP at that point and I was worried carnivore had caused this (I was thinking maybe it was gout? but I realized that didn’t make sense when I got these problems a couple of days after I quit).

That was when I discovered that nightshades were the problem. I cut out nightshades. Boom- no more joint issues, no more rashes/itching and though the depression and anxiety is still there it is MUCH better. Like 75% better. A few days ago I had some nightshades (stupid I know but I miss them and was hoping I could handle a little) and what do you know- I had bad cramps/general digestion problems for 2 days, my finger joints are swollen and painful, then I was itchy, and then I had a depressive episode. So now I am 100% sure I have a nightshade intolerance of some kind. Did I cause it by not eating them, like maybe killed off some gut bugs that help digest them or something? What is so strange is that nightshades were never a problem before and I come from a culture that eats tons of them. Now I have such an extreme reaction and the exact same symptoms Peterson had but I never had anything like this before the diet, unlike her (other than the depression).

So now I am kind of torn on whether or not I should try carnivore again because mood wise I was still happier on carnivore than I am now back to my normal diet - the nightshades but I don’t want to make anything worse either. I am pretty confused as to what happened here so now I don’t know what to do. Has anyone had something like this happen to them? Does anyone know if I could have caused these issues by going on this diet?

(Allie) #2

It’s more likely that you always had an issue with nightshades, it’s very common, and that your body was just used to having to be exposed to them and made the best of it. Carnivore is a great exclusion diet, removing everything except meat and allowing your body to heal and recover - then suddenly you once again consumed something it had been working to heal from and it reacted more aggressively to the perceived attack as it wasn’t used to having to accommodate it.

Diarrhoea is extremely common during the adaptation to carnivore as your body needs to adjust to not having all the fiber to absorb the liquid. In time it gets better.

Do what makes you feel the best.

(Laurie) #3

Yes. I was going to say this!

Thanks, that makes sense. I guess its good I did it then or I wouldn’t have known. I used to eat stuff that was impossibly spice to everyone else, even people who eat tons of chiles too. It seemed crazy to me that after decades of eating like that suddenly I couldn’t and my reaction was so strong! I almost went to the hospital because of the pain but my husband suggested I sleep it off and make a doctors appointment (and I figured it out before then).

Honestly other than the diarrhea I felt so great on carnivore I want to do it again even so. I have never felt more energy or inexplicably happy in my life. At the time though I felt the stomach issues were too much. Kind of regret not sticking it out now.

(Omar) #5

I went carnivore few months back then one day I ate lots of kale. I had the most severe digestive issues ever faced. I even opened a thread here seeking guidance.

I think we become intolerant to some foods maybe because we lose the bugs that helps digest them. The reason I say this is I tried to re introduce kale gradually and it works

but went back to carnivore it helps my IBS

I have seen many members who became intolerant to some foods so you are not alone regardless of the reason for why some people become intolerant after going keto

This is what I was worried about- that I had caused it and one of the reasons I was worried to go back to it even though I wanted to for mental health reasons. I guess if its possible to reintroduce I can worry about it later. I don’t want to be carnivore forever. Though I’d be willing to be like 90% carnivore. As in carnivore most of the time but occasionally eating meals that had plants when eating out or at friends houses or trying the local foods on vacations (I never go on vacation but if I did). That sort of thing. I was worried that doing this would lock me into always eating like this which I would rather not do. At the same time I have to weigh it against my depression- is xyz food worth my happiness? I would say no…I hope this isn’t what happened honestly.

(KCKO, KCFO) #7

^^^^ This

And anyone can develop an allergic reaction to something they have been exposed to or eaten their entire life.

I learned that lesson when a coworker went to the dr. for a bacterial infection. He had gotten shots of penicillin many times before. He was resting in the back seat of the car after the visit, his wife drove him home. When she got home she saw he had not moved. He had gone into anaphylaxicis and was DEAD!!! We were all so shocked he was a pretty healthy guy too. The dr. office was about 20 miles away, so it wasn’t even that terribly long of a drive.

This is one reason I never take lightly an allergy someone has, even if they don’t know it they might react very violently and quickly to it…

Holy cow that is terrifying! Now I’m thinking I need to never even look at nightshades again!

(KCKO, KCFO) #9

Not exactly, I’ve been allergic to tomatoes since I was a toddler, my mother tried to keep me from eating any of them, but my Auntie Mary, said no, she loves them, build up her tolerance. So I was allowed a few tomatoes a week and they came from Auntie’s garden through the whole tomato season. I still allow myself some tomato or tomato sauce a couple of times a week. They can fit into my carb macro and I keep my resistance to them up.

Wheat however is a totally different thing. Also I tolerate the tomato even better now that I no longer touch wheat or any other grains for that matter. Tomatoes make me flushed and feverish if I have too many, wheat locks up my joints. Together they really did a number on me, but I was in denial. So much better now that I just have the nightshades, I also eat eggplants, but no potatoes.

Good luck on finding your balance.

(Nicole) #10

I’m another who thinks that your reaction was probably just more noticeable because you had had some healing.

I’m a celiac. When I was eating gluten I had a generaly feeling of yuck, but it was my normal so I got used to it. Going gluten free made me feel a lot better so now when I am exposed I notice feeling unwell because it isn’t my normal anymore. Does that make sense?

(Omar) #11

there is difference between allergies and intolerance.

(Omar) #12

In my opinion you should not be to worried.

It is scientifically proven that the population of the large intestine bacterial will change very quickly. they say within 2 days when one goes carnivore.

so this is not by any means a food allergy situation. It is a kind of a transition or body adoption to a diet style.

Yeah thanks, it does!

I didn’t know that, amazing, thank you!