Trans Fats and Heart Attacks

(Eric Andres) #1

I’m not a trans-fat apologist or a scientist, but this study seems like a huge case of confirmation bias. “Look, we banned trans-fats, and now our epidemiological study confirms that we did a good thing.” The actual reduction in heart attacks was 13 per 100,00 per year, which doesn’t seem significant.

That being said, I’d be happy to hear from someone who understands the science and statistics better than I do.

This is good news. I like that the published data accords with what I believe, what was expected by most and what other jurisdictions have reported.

(VLC.MD) #3

According to this article (Warning: mostly SAD rhetoric)

Come Out, Come Out, Wherever You Are

Unhealthy trans fats lurk in most processed foods, including cookies, baked goods, popcorn, margarines, shortenings, crackers, doughnuts, chips, frozen waffles, and french fries.

Eighty percent of trans fats come from processed foods; the other 20% occur naturally in meat and dairy products. Although meat and dairy contain small amounts of trans fats, they can also be loaded with the equally unhealthy saturated fats, says nutritionist Elizabeth Ward, MS, RD.

Trans fats in meat and dairy are only a concern to people who eat large quantities of full-fat dairy and high-fat meat, says Ward.

I would think that if 80% trans fats come from crappy non-Keto food, people on a ketogenic diet could have lower trans fat levels.

Which animal fats have the most trans fats ?

Q: is vegetable oil based trans fat the same as animal fat trans fat ? Probably not ?

Q: Is there a blood test for trans fat ?

(Mark Myers) #4

I’m looking for those two answers myself. My speculation, and I have no science to back this up, but I feel that a fat burning human body can easily assimilate naturally occurring non hydrogenated trans fats. But probably doesn’t recognize hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated trans fats. I’d like to see the science on this to either back up or dispel my assumptions.