Training for endurance and speed

(Cat Hi) #1

So we want to Ride BRAG bike ride across Georgia in June. I am trying to get into condition to keep up with my husband while losing another 20 lbs. Can I do it? This us the question

(Tom Seest) #2

That should be no problem, given your time constraints, and status of nutrition etc.

For those that may wonder, this is BRAG: http://www.brag.org/brag

Any specific questions?

(Kevin Griffin) #3

You should have plenty of time! Good luck!

Based off my own experience, just make sure you are on a regime. It was easy for me to say “oh, I have 3 months”… then “oh, I have 2 months” and then “crap, just 1 month.”

(Cat Hi) #4

My regime is 25 to 30 miles on the bike trail here in north florida once or twice a week. My max distance has only been 35 miles. I am sort of concerned about the heat, does training the heat help?

(ianrobo) #5

can not get to the website but is it say 30 miles over 7 days ? You should always aim for the longest training ride you do to be about 70% of the max distance on the day. So if doing 100 miles you don;t need to do 100 mile training rides.

As for endurance if not concerned with speed, then train in your endurance zone, this is where you heart is pumping but you are not out of breath and the Rate of Perceived Exertion is about 4-6.

It is also what used to be called the fat burning zone but thanks to Jeff Voleks work we know this is much higher now.

The one thing I would invest in if you have a bike computer is a compatible heart rate monitor.

(Cat Hi) #6

Heart rate monitor is something new, my keto doc asked me to keep my heart rate under 120. Any suggestions on bike computer with heart rate monitor. I am kinda a newby here, does clipping in really help?

(ianrobo) #7

well you can get some basic HRM and computers, depends on your budget, I have a Scorsche HRM which was about ÂŁ50 and bike computer Garmin 520 - 180

You can get some even cheaper ones but quality is less

As for clipping in, well that really depends what you want. They are more efficient, they transfer your power better to your bike but takes a bit to get used to them and you will all off !

I have Wahoo Bluetooth hrm that connects to my phone. There are many apps that work with this. I use Strava for riding, but the free version doesn’t give you the data analysis on hr. I also use an app called FitCloud which has voice feedback for parameters you choose. The interface is a bit clunky, however. There’s also MapMyFitness and Google Fit, etc.

(Cat Hi) #9

This is going to take some research, if I am going to be successful with my goal I need to move to the next level. So far I am lost with the computer and heart monitor research, so many options. Also I see that I am going to fall with if I use the clip ins, yeck, I dont want to fall, or get hurt, will I pick up speed with clip ins? My speed is horrible I cant keep up with the slowest group, I am the last one in on any ride. What can I do to increase speed, yesterday I averaged 12 mph.

(ianrobo) #10

To increase speed u need to up the cadence really and do some small speed drills. As for falling off it happens and with them usually slow at traffic lights. U get used to them soon enough !

I’m not sure worrying about speed should be a goal if you also need to keep your heart rate below 120?

I’d say ride at the appropriate hr and speed is what it is.

(Cat Hi) #12

I dont have a hrm yet but what, generally, is a normal heart rate for cycling? Is 120 bpm low? My keto doc recommends 120 bpm because of the cortisol response, but with conditioning I suspected 120 bpm would be reasonable for most healthy keto adapted people.

(ianrobo) #13

I would question about keeping below 120, why would a doc advise that unless you have a heart condition.

HR for exercise are put into zones

Mine are

Zone 5: VO2 Max 182 -255
Zone 4: Threshold163-181
Zone 3: Temp Rides 144-162
Zone 2: Aerobic Capacity 118-143
Zone 1: Active Recovery 0-118

Zones 1&2 used to be fat burning but Volek’s work in FASTER has shown this to be Zone 3 as well and maybe lower part of Zone 4, above this you have to burn carbs. My average HR on most rises are in upper z2 to Z3

Heart rate recommendations vary based on age and fitness. You may want to look at the Maffetone method for building an endurance base. That sounds in line with the cortisol recommendations.

https://philmaffetone.com/what-is-the-maffetone-method/

(ianrobo) #15

ah the Mafte method as many call it is so popular now that on all the fitness/endurance podcasts it is the method of choice for any level. It works for sure and is easy to use if you understand how to measure your HR and RPE

(Cat Hi) #16

Thanks, my keto doc specializes in female hormones, high heart rates stimulate the flight or fight response that stimulates cortisol and then a whole cascade of hormones, Hormones that caused me to be overweight in the first place. I am still in weight loss mode and will be for another year. I am losing 8 oz per week, but I think regular cycling will increase my weight lose. I think my husband will like Voleks’ work, I am going to find it for him

(ianrobo) #17

yeah it is all out there, just search for the Faster study.

I understand this flight issue but I would disagree with the doc, if exercising in what I would call Z2 and Z3 it will be if you are fata adapted a good method to lose the weight, it worked for me !

(Cat Hi) #18

I think 120 is low for fat adapted, before I was fat adapted he was probably right but I feel better and more able to push now that I am fat adapted. Of course if the weight lose stops then that would tell the story also! Thanks everyone I have time to learn this and then ride in June!

(ianrobo) #19

now is the perfect time to experiment, I am doing that with amount of carbs I eat as well (natural ones I add not bread etc !!) to see what works before my training steps up at end of Jan …

(What The Fast?!) #20

I know they say this is the case for endurance events…but I find it a little different with biking, because it’s not my legs that take issue with the full distance…,it’s sitting in a saddle for that many hours! When I did my first century, I did exactly what’s recommended - my longest ride was about 80 miles prior to that…and I found my legs to be just fine at the end of the ride, but the additional hour or so in the seat was much rougher than expected!

Good luck in your event @Cat1hi - has it already happened?