Traffic Light Food Labels

(Failed) #1

If this is not the correct category, please move it. Thanks!

I came across this today & am appalled.
Traffic Light Label

They got the sugars right, but not the fat.

Even if the colors are the opposite of what I’d like, I could still use this to pick the “red” foods in the fat and salt categories, but “green” in sugar (which doesn’t include carbs? ) Still, it’s a start at looking at food composition instead of calories.

So, the safest food to eat is a lean protein with no salt? :slight_smile:

P.S. Just don’t make it liver. Too much of that can kill you.

Avoid the polar bear liver, for sure!

Or just avoid polar bears in general.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #5

Dr FOODS is a leading consultancy company providing a complete solution for the food and pharmaceutical industries.

Look no farther. They clearly don’t have our interests at heart.

(Bob M) #6

One calculation our labels need is % of calories from fat. I always have to calculate that.

YES. While we’re wishing, I’d also like the fat:protein ratio in grams printed in large, legible lettering on the front of the package. Please.

(Bob M) #8

Well, if we’re wishing: let’s ask for realistic serving sizes. I just ate a can of Bar Harbor fish. There are “3.5 servings” per can. What? I ate the whole freaking thing, and you’re making me multiply everything by 3.5? At least make it 3 or 2 or even 1. And no one eats 2 tablespoons of salsa. No one. Go for at least 1/4 cup, or heck go for 100 grams as in Europe. Make it reasonable.

And get rid of the percent daily value, while we’re at it.

Well, that felt good to get off my chest. :wink:

(BuckRimfire) #9

Indeed. Hiding fat and sugar content behind tiny portion sizes is such an obvious dodge. Having a required column “per 100 grams” would be ideal. Let them add a separate column for their chosen portion size if they want.

I got into an epic debate once with a friend about what a serving size of something was. I maintained that the serving sizes that people really ate weren’t represented on the packages, so it was really misleading and they should list serving sizes based on realistic portions. He just couldn’t get beyond the concept that the package said X, so that was the serving size. We were with a bunch of friends in a bar who watched stunned as the two of us went at it for a good 30 minutes arguing over the serving size of ketchup. :laughing:

YEEEESSS! I hate the math. If I eat half a can then… forget it. :exploding_head: