Trader Joe's Peanut Butter with Flax/Chia Seeds

(Rob) #1

Thought I’d try this. Extra Omega 3, slightly higher fiber… low added sugar (1g/serv)…

The Captain’s verdict…

Way under salted (supposed to be salted), seeds are “get into the gaps between teeth” annoying, needs to be stirred and stored in the fridge… MEH! :disappointed:

The slightly lower carb value is not worth the downsides… still searching for a peanut butter with good macros AND a taste I like (close to mass commercial crunchy PB) - maybe that is too much to ask :weary:

(Allie) #2

I like Meridian pb and Whole Earth too.

(Rob) #3

Thanks. I’ll try them next time I’m “home” but it’s a bit tricky to get it cost effectively in the US. I’ll look for an equivalent here… though I imagine I’m going to have to add salt, etc.

(Sommer Strickland) #4

My grocery store has a section where you can grind your own peanut, almond, cashew, and honey roasted peanut butter. I really like it. No oil and just salty enough. Do you have a place that offers that?

(Rob) #5

Thanks. I’ll have a look… limited supermarkets and I don’t remember seeing it in Safeway or WholeFoods but I’ll spread the net a little wider…

Is it cost effective? Do you think I could I do the same with a food processor at home? If I have to work for it, maybe I would not scarf it down so quickly. :grin:

(Sommer Strickland) #6

I do Winco, but that is not most places. Fry’s and Sprouts I believe both have that. Usually a supermarket that sells bulk stuff. Like flours, nuts, and seeds.

(Sommer Strickland) #7

For sure you could probably do in a food processor. I think I paid $3.25 a pound for the peanut butter and the almond butter was $5 something a pound. I can’t remember cashew price.

(Rob) #8

That is not bad, value-wise.

Of course… there is a Sprouts out of the city but since I got rid of my car, that’s tricky. There are several new-age-y places (it is San Francisco, after all) I don’t shop at but I will check out. Probably more keto things to buy there than just nut butter :grin:

(Allie) #9

The Whole Earth has always seemed very salty to me, moreso than Meridian.

(roxanna) #10

Whole Foods should for sure have one.

(Diane) #11

I’ve found WinCo is usually the cheapest when it comes to prices on bulk nuts and seeds. I’ll look for the “grind your own but butter” option when I’m there next. Thanks!