Trader Joe's Parsnips Chips

(Cash Foley) #1

Trader Joe’s Parsnip Chips ‘seem’ like the greatest cheat ever.

The claim: Serving Size 12 chips, 120 cal, 110 cal from fat! 3g Total Carbs, 1g Fiber, 1g Sugar

But is it for real?
The real problem is the carbs. When I use MyFitnessPal and look up 1/2c Raw Parsnips I get 50 cals, 0.2g fat 12.0g Total Carbs, 3.3g Fiber and 3.2g Sugar!

I know 1/2c Parsnips is just a guess but it has to be pretty close. I get all the fat cals are coming from the canola but I don’t believe the carbs.

I’ve been eating these things and planning on making my own because I’m eliminating canola from everything. I saw a video from Keto Connect on the subject that brought this into question. I love those two, but they aren’t scientist or even sufficiently analytical for this task.

Do any of you have any thoughts on this?

Is Trader Joe’s cooking up a lie?

Be careful with parsnips. The carbs are higher than carrots actually.

Have you measured yourself with glucometer to see what sort of response you get?

(Cash Foley) #3

No. I haven’t dug into it that carefully. I would have to do a lot more measuring than I do to baseline it. I’m not diabetic so I haven’t had that kind of detailed measuring.

(John) #4

Solved

(Cash Foley) #5

Yep. That’s what I saw and referenced in my original post. I’d like it better if he didn’t have to fix his answer with a jump cut and instead showed his math.

I was hoping that some of the smart people here could offer something better. As is, what they say makes more sense than the package but I don’t consider it solved.

(John) #6

Actually meant to link a comment on there, hopefully they update.

This comes in at just about what he did in the video.

(Daniel) #7

have you tried making cheese chips?

I’m definitely going to keep track of this bag in the stores. Way to good to be true.

(Cash Foley) #9

We have been eating these for a couple of months and have been saying “this is too good to be true”. They are yummy but they are off my list. If I’m willing to eat the carbs, I’ll cook my own in some good oil;

(Mike Glasbrener) #10

Thanks. They did a pretty good breakdown. My menu right now is boringly simple. I read labels meticulously but have never thought about misrepresentation.