Total light bulb moment

(Debi) #1

Hi all. I just did my first ever (un illness related) 20 hr fast. I know, not super long in the fasting world. I have been IF for over 2 years, but usually 14-16 hrs. Went keto about 3 months ago. Tried for 18hr fast on week 2 and got TERRIBLE diarrhea that was 100% fasting related. (Jury is still out on that reaction this time, (I just did refeed of a cauliflower coconut milk soup, hoping all is well!!) but I have has 2.5 months to adjust since I last tried longer than 16hrs.

So that light bulb moment…I loved the not being hungry part of keto, but hadnt really experienced energy or brain clarity…UNTIL I did the 20 hr fast. Maybe I just didnt read clearly before, but ( at least for me) it is the FASTING part that gives energy and clarity, not the low carbs.

I know, i know, at least 7 of you are reading this going "well duh’!!! LOL

Anyway, in case anyone else is in this camp, I wanted to post my experience. Also if anyone else has experienced the pooping results when they fast, i would love to hear how you combat it…any refeed things that help eyc.

Thanks for the input!!

OH and in case you havent watched anything to inspire your fasting efforts today, I just watched this (most of the stuff I already knew, but I love stories where people have visible results) Enjoy :slight_smile:

The clarity of mind is awesome, congrats on experiencing it! When I’m considering starting a fast I always have to weigh how much I love food against how much I love the fasting mental state!

(Bob M) #3

I no longer get that fasting mental state, if ever I did. Maybe that’s because I’ve been low carb 5 years and fasting (IF and longer) 3+ years. I don’t remember what it was like originally.

(The amazing autoimmune 🦄) #4

Great video. It reinforces my belief that lchf is the way forward.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #5

Here is an interesting video.

https://www.ketogenicforums.com/t/juices-non-juice-journal-jottings/61706/123?u=regina

(Running from stupidity) #6

Me either, but that’s because my brain is … what’s that word starting with F? Oh yeah, “anything but neurotypical” :slight_smile:

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #7

Huh, maybe that’s why I never got the “clarity” either, even on my 5 day fast. Not that there aren’t mental benefits. But it’s more like noticing I haven’t metaphorically tripped and fallen on my face in a while than a big wow moment.

(Running from stupidity) #8

#EXACTLY

(Just add butter) #9

Metamucil (or something similar), this absolutely made all the difference for me. Fast with confidence without having to be 60 sec from the toilet, LOL. I usually only start taking daily from day 3 onwards of a fast, 1 to 2 teaspoons. Everyone is different that’s why so many of us do the n=1 studies. If it affects you on such a short fast try supplementing with fibre straight away and see how that goes.

Also it can be frustrating but you may have to start eliminating foods that you may suspect could be affecting your bowels. Also be careful with supplements, I was having some restless sleep at one stage, started taking Magnesium, let’s just say if I ever get constipated I have the remedy.

Patience is also key. Our bodies have been used to the same thing for so long it likes to rebel when we change things up. I believe IF/EF has extraordinary benefits, worth sticking it out.

(Debi) #10

Wow. incredibly helpful!! Thanks so much :slight_smile: