Total amount of protein per day - Visual Guide

(Tsering M) #1

Could the experienced keto practitioners post images of ONLY total amount of protein consumed per day, if animal protein (minus dairy & eggs) were the only source of protein?

(Jane Reed) #2

I’m unable to post photos, but perhaps this description will be helpful.

I am an average size American woman. Imagine my hand in a fist. A ball of ground beef of that size probably weighs half a pound. Half a pound of ground beef has about 40 grams of protein.

I limit myself to about 60 grams of protein each day. What I don’t get in meat I get in eggs.

(Tsering M) #3

That’s a very practical “guide” - thank you🙂

Can you rephrase the question? I don’t get what you’re trying to figure out, or why an image? Also why are you excluding dairy and eggs?

I’m trim and muscular. I eat 50-55g of protein a day. I follow longevity research on protein needs. About 20g of my
intake is salmon protein (excluding dairy and eggs). The rest of my protein is from:

Eggs
Dairy
Pea protein powder
Seeds (chia, flax)
Nuts (almond, brazil)
Tempeh
Collagen powder
Veggies (minimal)

Sometimes I gorge on a kangaroo steak or a whole snapper.

(Mike W.) #5

This is a great question. I’ve often wondered myself what does “100g of protein” look like? Steak, chicken, bacon, etc. I’m a very visual person. This question first came up for me when I started IF and only eating once maybe twice per day. I wanted to make sure I was consuming enough protein to support my LBM. Looking forward to some pics!

(Tsering M) #6

Excluding dairy & eggs for now bc I suspect I may have hashimoto’s.

Trying to get my macro right; eat enough each day (I have an issue with this) - being visually acquainted with what that would look like will eventually make it smoother for me, to gauge the amount.

From time to time I end up eating only once a day - and I find myself stressing out a bit on how much to eat🙂

Can you share a photo of what you are asking for?

It seems to me that to do your request I would have to forego the protein part of all my daily meals in and photograph them instead. I don’t understand how you would expect me to isolate just the protein part of my pizza or quiche.

(Tsering M) #8

:slightly_smiling_face:

Someone here said about a fist & half of (red) meat would, could?, qualify as daily protein quota. I’ve been trying to use that as a guideline.

Ground meat takes up more volume, it seems.

Liver seems to have quite a bit of water weight.

I understand what you are saying - your protein intakes comes from various sources, unlike mine currently, which is just meat.

I’m curious about it though. Perhaps I’ll take a day aside some time and spread out all my protein powders, tempehs, nut butters and eggs etc. Could be an interesting photo.

(Norma Laming) #10

I think that’s a useful question. Without scales it is difficult to judge the quantity and easy to eat too much without realising. I think that whatever weight you have of meat ( whether grams or ounces) 25% is actual protein.

In the UK we can get a really useful book that comprises just photographs of food, about 6 on each page. I think originally it was meant for diabetics. It is divided up into different food types e.g. Veg, meat, fruit, baked etc etc etc including branded goods and it has about 2 photos for each type of food, with different quantities in each. Underneath each photo it gives the protein, fat and carbs breakdown for that portion. A bit of an eye opener in many respects tbh and every time I’m thinking of chucking the book out something holds me back. It’s so easy to get used to slightly larger portions than I strictly need.

I still think that the source of a lot of confusion is mixing ounces with grams. Every 10 year old knows that you stick to one or the other in a science class and so does every carpenter and cook. It’s odd to me that it has become the norm to weigh in ounces (for example) and give the nutrient breakdown on grams.

On a different website I got roundly told that no one could possibly eat 454g of meat in a day. But judging from the photos of food, plenty do eat a lot more than just that. It would only be egg, bacon and sausages in the morning and an 8oz steak in the evening.

(Jane Reed) #11

Best way to narrow the gap between weight and size us to go to the meat market and ask for X number of ounces or grams of something. When the butcher gives you a quarter pound or 500 g. of ground beef/mince, you can see for yourself what it looks like. Do the same with a steak. You’ll only have to do it once.

(Tsering M) #12

I find it difficult to gauge with ground meat - visually, I mean, but I should try your trick - I was trying to visualize a fist of meat with my ground meat.

(Tsering M) #13

I used ground meat where possible, and weigh it into meat ball size chunks.

Two points, first while I understand about milk, why no eggs with Hashimotos? Also I recently read that one reason milk may cross react is that gluten can pass through the breast milk in humans so it probably can in cows as well and most cows are fed grains unless grass fed. I wonder if grass fed cheese and butter would be ok? I have Hashimotos but have not given up dairy yet. For years eggs would cause stomach upset (after being able to eat them when I was younger) and then about 5 years ago that stopped happening and I can eat raw eggs without a problem now. No idea why

Second, in the US, all labels have the number of grams of protein on them so if you weigh your food you would know. Same with meat, look up the grams of protein in ground beef 15% fat for example, weigh your serving and you will know

(Tsering M) #16

Eggs is listed as one of the main foods to avoid - I guess many Hashis folks react negatively to it?

I am in Nepal - there are zero options for me here to see a practitioner who could help me navigate this.

I am being ultra cautious I guess, although I may add eggs soon so I have more variety in my diet. (That’s great that you can eat it again - eggs are very handy; quick to cook.)

The dairy’s casein, i believe, can be easily mistaken for gluten. I haven’t read anywhere (yet) that grassfed dairy would be different. I miss butter.

None of the food or beverage items here come with nutritional info of any type:( (except for imported candies, perhaps). Most meat is bought at the local butcher’s. The big supermarket store is a new idea here - we have only a few of them, but even the refrigerated meat there don’t have information about fat percentages or grams of protein:slight_smile:

(Tsering M) #17

I eat a lot of ground meat as well. But just stir fried. They spread kind of fluffy - makes me think I have more food on my plate than I actually do - I have a chronic issue with under eating…

Yes being in Nepal would explain the lack of labels.

I would look more into the idea of grassfed being a solution with Hashimotos. I would imagine the cattle are not as grain fed as they are in the US although that could be me making an assumption. If the reason is the grains passing through the milk that might change your options. I happen to read this as a theory on someone’s website who has celiac (one of my children was recently diagnosed which is not a surprise since there seems to be a relationship with hashimotos).

For the meat, you could still get a kitchen scale, weigh your meat and look up the amount of protein per ounce or 100 grams

As for the eggs, I was diagnosed with Hashimotos after my first child was born, so about 20 years ago. Not sure exactly when the egg problem started but I gave it up completely (other than in baked goods) about a year or two later. Prior to the first pregnancy I would eat egg on a roll for breakfast almost every day at work. I started being mostly (but not exclusively) gluten free in 2009. I started eating eggs again in 2013 or so. I wonder if by reducing my gluten load it started allowing me to eat eggs? I did go on another diet called the Plan by Lyn Genet? a couple of years ago. It is an elimination diet and you gradually add back in and see if you gain weight as a proxy for a reaction. I definitely reacted when I added eggs back in (small weight gain but I felt ok) as she defined it in her diet. I liked the diet but it was too restrictive