Top Tips?

(Stephanie Sablich) #1

Hey, y’all! I’m back! After a year filled with transition and illness and injury and new love and graduation and inter-state moving and international traveling and new job… I’m ready to focus on health and myself again! And for me, this means eating keto!

SO… talk to me about what helps you the MOST in the beginning especially! I know all the “rules” and I have a basic idea of what to do and how to do it (I’ve done 6+ months of keto before and LOVED it), but I’d love your “keto hacks,” things that make this way of eating easier for you!

Thanks, friends! :grinning:

(Robert C) #2

Hi and welcome back,

Tip:
Count total carbs for all processed foods and net carbs for natural whole foods.
Keto and “net carbs” are becoming abused terms targeting people doing Keto for financial benefit.

(Stephanie Sablich) #3

Ooooh! Brilliant. I totally agree, and get really grumpy when I see keto products being marketed in grocery stores. Thanks for that tip!

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #4

I’m not typical. The thing that helped me the most when I started was cutting out all my previously fave carb-rich foods totally cold-turkey. Never touched any for a year. Never missed them and never looked back. What helps most now is keeping carbs incidental and minimal. Generally sub-15 grams per day and frequently sub-10. I still don’t miss them. Others say they do and I just don’t get it. :roll_eyes:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #5

Cut out sugar and anything sweet, including all the non-sugar sweeteners. I find it easier to resist sugar and carb cravings if I’m not always stirring up my taste buds. That’s not to say I don’t have an occasional sugar-free treat, but I try to make it a very seldom thing. I’m better off that way.

(Susan) #6

I totally agree with Paul; also, keep to 20 grams or less of carbs =).

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #7

Drink water or homemade KetoAide!
Keeping up on fluids makes it a lot easier!

(charlie3) #8

Starting out I needed to learn what’s in what I eat.

Eat real food,
Track with Cronometer
Use a kitchen scale.

I don’t need the scale very often any more. I’ve found there’s no alternative to real
food.

(Bunny) #9

Welcome back!

(Jane) #10

Welcome back - you got this!!!

(Tessa) #11

The things that have helped me the most would be:
-track everything that you eat/drink. Carbs are sneaky and add up quickly. Safer this way than to assume. At least while in the losing stage.
-use this forum! Read, research, and learn from the Keto Vets. This place has helped me with a ton of information and very friendly peope. Good place to learn from daily and go to during the down moments and realize you aren’t alone.
-be okay with your choices and KCKO

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #12

Lots of great advice above. Start to do time restricted feeding. No snacks before the first meal and no snacks after the last meal bite. Then no snacks between meals. Once you have that then get to where you can skip breakfast for intermittent fasting 18/6 (18 hrs fasting/6 hrs of feeding).

If you can work on self speak - Be kind to yourself and think about and use that inner voice to tell you you have this way of life.

(Marianne) #14

Eat three meals a day for 2-3 weeks (like it or not), with lots of good, clean fat, sufficient to carry you more than comfortably to the next meal. No snacks. Carbs under 20 g/day, and as low as you can go.

(traci simpson) #15

Bring you own snacks to the movies!!!