Top Round Roast!

(PSackmann) #1

Oh my, best result yet. Bought an 8 pound top round, seasoned it well with salt, pepper, and garlic powder, then cooked at 140 for 30 hours. Chilled it and then put it in the refrigerator until we were ready to eat. Sliced it medium-thick then heated each slice in bacon grease, followed by pouring some of the cooking liquid in for a nice pan gravy. Oh my, so very, very good!

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #2

Sounds great :slightly_smiling_face:

30 hrs seems kind of short. Have you ever done one longer ? And if so, what was the difference in consistentcy ?

I just did my Pork shoulder roast for 60hrs, at 145 and it was more “falling apart” than it needed to be… Sure didn’t a need a knife to cut it.

Was thinking about a Beef brisket roast next week for 30 or 40 hours… Before or after some 2 hr, at 138 Ribeyes :slightly_smiling_face:

(Full Metal KETO AF) #3

@FishChris Next time you do pulled pork smash it up before opening the bag! Great trick. 20-30 hrs is great for roast beef but I do it at 132 because I like tender and medium rare beef, that’s what I do with Tri Tip roasts. Pulled pork is plenty tender at 24-30 hours. More time is unnecessary.

:cowboy_hat_face:

(PSackmann) #4

I haven’t done one longer, this one was just at the line between tender and oddly tender, so I don’t think I’ll do more. As for pulled pork, I still do it in the crockpot, I did two crocks full last weekend with pork shoulders. Salt, Butt Rub, Garlic, liquid smoke, about 14 hours and then cool a bit. Perfect for our family.

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #5

Okay cool. Granted, this time I could not break it up before removing it from the bag, because I still had to smoke it, but next time I’ll smoke it first, so yes, I’ll do that…

(Full Metal KETO AF) #6

@FishChris I don’t have a smoker, I cheat and add liquid smoke to the bag. :cowboy_hat_face:

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #7

I’ve used that in the past, and didn’t think it was too bad… For beef jerky and such.
Then I watched a side by side comparison on SV Everything, and they said to it wasn’t even close… Real cold smoking all the way… So that kind of sold me…

(PSackmann) #8

For pulled pork, I’d go with the liquid smoke, since it’s going to be very difficult to put the cooked pork on the smoker. Brisket could be either way, depending on how long you cook it versus smoking. Ribs I do both, put some liquid smoke in the bag and smoke at the end to finish.

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #9

Well I was actually able to cold smoke my pork roast no problem even after an extra long SV… But as I say, next time around, I’ll smoke before SV, and no matter what, I’ll still hit it with my military grade flame thrower as a last step, for a minute or two…