Tooth decay/demineralization?

keto
newbies
science

Thank you all for the comments. I took another Vitamin D tablet that’s 5000UI. I seem to produce more saliva, not as fast as I like, but it’s a start. I’ll see if I wake up with a dry mouth tomorrow morning despite not being a mouth breather/snorer.

(Allie) #11

I’d be more inclined to think this is the issue. Body needs fuel / nourishment.

(Stickin' with mammoth) #12

I agree with all of the above, especially the bit about giving it time. Prolonged ketosis isn’t something most bodies are used to and a lot can happen in the first month while things adjust.

My own dental journey involves supplementing with cod liver oil to provide more bioavailable nutrients and to keep my omega 3 ratio higher.

Good luck!

Wrong. I’ve been cutting to low bodyfat levels and am experienced with this. I decrease calories by only 100 when I stall. At most decrease calories every two weeks now that I’m closer to lower bodyfat levels. I haven’t lost lbm besides water weight. My lifts are still increasing and my muscles are the same size while I lose waist size and pounds.

(Stickin' with mammoth) #14

When you say white spots on your teeth, do you mean inside the enamel? That and the rough texture sounds like enamel loss to me. Are they sensitive at all?

If you’re not eating sugars and other obvious tooth-hating sources, what about the phosphorous and citric acid in diet sodas or the acids in vinegary stuff?

Another way to come at it is exploring whether you’re still absorbing the vitamins and minerals you need to keep the enamel healthy. Not taking, absorbing. Stress and other factors can prevent stuff from being utilized the way it should be. Hate to say it but one possibility is that your body isn’t happy dropping to such a low body fat ratio, or maybe just not so quickly. If you’re kicking it hard in the gym or at some sport, your body may be taking minerals from your teeth (and other areas) to help heal the muscle micro-tears (and other natural damage) and bring you back into homeostasis. I used to get white spots on my nails as a body builder, just sayin’.

A quick test is to change nothing except to go back on the carbs you used to eat and see if the tooth thing normalizes, just to rule that out, then go from there testing each thing. It might take a while, with teeth you’ll be playing the long game, but dude, it’s your teeth. Don’t screw around. You can always tinker with body fat and muscle in the future but your chompers are kind of a one shot deal. Lose 'em and you’re screwed.

Enamel loss would make translucent teeth, not white spots. The white spots are rough to the touch. Just Google tooth demineralization for a better picture. The only difference now is that on my old diet, I ate grilled cheese and bacon sandwich. I still eat peanuts, I still eat chicken. Now I eat eggs and beef instead of a grilled cheese bacon sandwich. The only carbs I get now are healthy fiber filled carbs. The carbs i got before were just from two slices of bread for my sourdough sandwich 60g total carbs. Before this keto diet, I never ate vegetables like spinach and avocado like I do now. I was healthy despite not eating vegetables. I decided to eat vegetables and now this. Also. I ONLY drink water. Never anything else. Nothing sour or sweet in my diets.
I have a little white spot on three of my finger nails. Does that mean anything serious?

(Allie) #16

White spots on nails are normally related to mineral deficiency but bear in mind they’re formed when the nail develops so by the time you see them, it’s something you’ve been through and likely resolved already. It takes roughly six months for each nail to fully grow so marks about half way up the nail, for example, will have been caused around three months ago.

One thing I’ve done differently was multivitamin. I didn’t restock on my Animal Pak supplement which I’ve always taken. I’ll link it to show what it contains.

Probably why I’ve been healthy without vegetables.

(Daisy) #18

Haha nice to find someone else who enjoyed this meal! I ate it frequently and no one I talked to had ever thought about it. They all had this “lightbulb moment” look in their eye and say how good it sounded lol

Are you using an app to track your vitamin and mineral consumption daily? If not, I would do that to see if there is something I was somehow missing. You might have an imbalance that needs correcting. Also, might it be an infection?
If nothing else, I’d see a dentist and ask about what is going on.

Back to K2 - it helps get calcium into your bones and teeth and out of places it doesn’t belong (like your heart), among other good things.

(Daisy) #20

Around the time I started keto, I also switched to making my own toothpaste. I noticed that my teeth feel very clean, but I do more easily get calcium buildup between some teeth and at my last dentist appointment, my teeth were much more sensitive to the cleaning. She said they were very healthy though. I don’t know if it’s the keto or the toothpaste though that contributes to the calcium buildup.

(Scott) #21

I don’t think a change in teeth could be seen in less than a week of keto especially if you were “already eating low carb”. I think this is the result of something that is more long term.

(Stickin' with mammoth) #22

Yes, I know.

(Stickin' with mammoth) #23

Oh, dear.

(Stickin' with mammoth) #24

Well, actually, bacteria and/or nutritional deficiencies can cause enamel hypoplasia that presents as white spots. Inadequate oral hygiene is another culprit.

That Google thing you mentioned would be a good place to start. Good luck.

Tread lightly! Go too low for too long and you’re going to have a hell of a time fixing your metabolism.

White spots on teeth is usually from fluoride which IMO shouldn’t be used at all. This is the toothpaste I use, all natural stuff and it can remineralize as well. A lot of health stores carry it but if not you got Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Uncle-Harrys-Fluoride-Free-Toothpaste/dp/B00CP3KW26/ref=sr_1_6?crid=1QVYXU7NJIQSW&keywords=uncle+harrys+toothpaste&qid=1551634651&s=gateway&sprefix=uncle+ha%2Caps%2C340&sr=8-6

Woke up with dry mouth again. Still cant fix even that. Maybe its plaque build up and dry mouth is causing it.

(Amy) #27

I recently was disappointed to find out I have 2 new cavities. It’s been many years since I last had a cavity! I’ve been doing keto since Sept, in maintenance since November. I too went through a period where everything was dry, including my mouth. I described it as feeling like beef jerky. Dry skin, hair, mucous membranes, etc. I started eating more carbs in January, and I felt much better.

You are correct in your assumption that white spots show demineralization. It’s happened to both my daughter and I. I also know that our teeth get the minerals they need from our saliva, so it makes sense that your dry mouth is causing it.

I personally wonder if those of us who are already lean need to do more carb cycling. It certainly has helped me in many ways, and I’ve had no problem maintaining my weight.

(Bunny) #28

Those white spots (hypocalcification) on the teeth are calcium deposits. I have one too :tooth:…lol

Try adding type 2 resistant starch from a raw green banana or raw sweet potato sticks and see if that helps (…will not hurt your keto diet) or eat fruit every now and then? Make raw French fry like sticks (leave the skin on) place them in the fridge in a glass of water and munch on one periodically. Your mucous production (sometimes related to salivary gland issues[3]) might be way too low from lack of O-glycans you usually get from sugar. I have found this works for me because I was having problems producing tears and mucous and also lack of saliva but that’s just me! :rabbit:

References:

[1] Endogenous host glycans are presented to bacteria in the intestinal lumen as O-linked glycans attached to secreted or cell-associated mucin glycoproteins (the major component of mucus), or as N-linked glycans present in shed epithelial cells. …” …More

[2] “…Symbiotic microorganisms that reside in the human intestine are adept at foraging glycans and polysaccharides*, including those in dietary plants (starch, hemicellulose, pectin), animal-derived cartilage and tissue (glycosaminoglycans and N -linked glycans), and endogenous glycans from host mucus (O -linked glycans). …” …More

[3] Sjögren’s Syndrome: “… is a disease in which the body’s defense system (immune system) attacks healthy tissues causing dryness of the mouth, eyes and other membranes of the body that secrete mucous. It is often found along with rheumatic disorders such as rheumatoid arthritis, scleroderma and lupus. “…The disease damages the glands that supply saliva to the mouth and tears to the eyes. …”

[4] How are polysaccharides different from monosaccharides and disaccharides? “…Sucrose (table sugar) is the most common disaccharide, which is composed of the monomers glucose and fructose. A polysaccharide is a long chain of monosaccharides linked by glycosidic bonds; the chain may be branched or unbranched and can contain many types of monosaccharides. …” …More

[5] What are the different classification of carbohydrates? “…The classification of carbohydrates is most commonly based on chemical structure, with the three most commonly known groups being monosaccharides, disaccharides and polysaccharides. These are discussed further in 'Carbohydrates and sugar. …” …More

[6] Besides the benefits of low sugar diet i.e. keto, you can also REGENERATE tooth enamel and skip the dentist doing this (Trisodium Phosphate: About 85% of the body’s phosphorus is in bones and teeth. Phosphorous is also present in smaller amounts in cells and tissues throughout the body. Phosphorus is also needed to help balance and use other vitamins and minerals, including vitamin D, iodine, magnesium, and zinc. …More

[7] Activator X (Vitamin K) also influences the composition of saliva

(Allie) #29

That’s a very common early side effect of being in ketosis. It gets easier.