Tooth decay/demineralization?

keto
newbies
science

Just a backstory, I’ve been on my way to getting down to 10% bodyfat from 25%. Im currently at 13% and have been decreasing calories to prevent stalling. I came across keto since I already eat low carb and figured I would just dump all carbs and stick with protein and fats.

I started my keto diet on Monday and got into ketosis by Thursday. Everything seemed great and I lost about 4lbs of water weight this week so far. I noticed that my teeth started feeling rough, when I looked I saw that I was developing white spots on my teeth. This wasn’t happening before I started keto.

I tried supplementing with Calcium but it’s still irritating. The only thing that changed in my diet was decreasing my carbs from 60g to 20g total to start keto. I also notice that my salivary glands arent producing any saliva and my mouth is always dry. I wake up with dry mouth despite getting a lot of sodium in daily(At least 5000mg).

Has this happened to anyone else and does this ever go away? Input would be greatly appreciated.

(Victoria ) #2

The only change in my dental health post-keto has been positive. I passed first the checkup with flying colors (the dentist said my teeth and gums looked great) and the cleaning took half the time that it had before with no modification of my dental hygiene routine.

Are you drinking plenty of water and replacing the electrolytes (not only sodium but magnesium and potassium too) that you’re losing as you drop your water weight? Perhaps that could help your situation.

Yes I am drinking plenty of water and am getting enough electrolytes. I might need to supplement with a multivitamin again. This shouldn’t be happening since keto is supposedly better for teeth. My teeth were always healthy on my usual diets with carbs involved. No matter how much sodium I take in, my mouth stays dry and so do my teeth. Im still posting every 15 minutes. Apparently carbs are responsible for bacteria, yet my teeth are decaying and all of my carbs come from greens. I’ll have to figure this out myself since everyone has good results from keto.

(Frank) #4

My dental cleanings significantly improved after going keto. Much less tartar buildup.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #5

It sounds as though you are getting enough sodium, which I would assume means your potassium, magnesium, and calcium should be well-regulated, especially if you are eating leafy greens. You might ask your doctor to run a Vitamin D level on you, since it is important for keeping calcium in bones and teeth, where it belongs. Do you get out in the sun at all?

No, only when it’s been sunny. Hasn’t been that sunny since I started keto due to the random raining in California. I have vitamin D3 I can start taking. The calcium nitrate supplement has vitamin D with it for better absorption. I’ll take more if need be

You are about a week into Keto? I wouldn’t worry about ANY changes that happen that early. Give your body a chance to adapt.

If you want to read a really good book about teeth, check out Cure Tooth Decay by Ramiel Nigel. He’s not keto , but his recommendations can fit a Keto lifestyle. Hint, it’s about nutrients more than macros.

I am sorry I have no idea about the white spots nor the rough feeling teeth or dry mouth. You may be deficient in something. Hope you find answers!

Research shows it isn’t good to supplement with calcium. Also if you take vitamin D3, also take a good K2 MK-4 and MK-7 supplement. Research it and you will see that K2 is important.

Can’t emphasize this enough!

Thank you all for the comments. I took another Vitamin D tablet that’s 5000UI. I seem to produce more saliva, not as fast as I like, but it’s a start. I’ll see if I wake up with a dry mouth tomorrow morning despite not being a mouth breather/snorer.

(Allie) #11

I’d be more inclined to think this is the issue. Body needs fuel / nourishment.

(Stickin' with mammoth) #12

I agree with all of the above, especially the bit about giving it time. Prolonged ketosis isn’t something most bodies are used to and a lot can happen in the first month while things adjust.

My own dental journey involves supplementing with cod liver oil to provide more bioavailable nutrients and to keep my omega 3 ratio higher.

Good luck!

Wrong. I’ve been cutting to low bodyfat levels and am experienced with this. I decrease calories by only 100 when I stall. At most decrease calories every two weeks now that I’m closer to lower bodyfat levels. I haven’t lost lbm besides water weight. My lifts are still increasing and my muscles are the same size while I lose waist size and pounds.

(Stickin' with mammoth) #14

When you say white spots on your teeth, do you mean inside the enamel? That and the rough texture sounds like enamel loss to me. Are they sensitive at all?

If you’re not eating sugars and other obvious tooth-hating sources, what about the phosphorous and citric acid in diet sodas or the acids in vinegary stuff?

Another way to come at it is exploring whether you’re still absorbing the vitamins and minerals you need to keep the enamel healthy. Not taking, absorbing. Stress and other factors can prevent stuff from being utilized the way it should be. Hate to say it but one possibility is that your body isn’t happy dropping to such a low body fat ratio, or maybe just not so quickly. If you’re kicking it hard in the gym or at some sport, your body may be taking minerals from your teeth (and other areas) to help heal the muscle micro-tears (and other natural damage) and bring you back into homeostasis. I used to get white spots on my nails as a body builder, just sayin’.

A quick test is to change nothing except to go back on the carbs you used to eat and see if the tooth thing normalizes, just to rule that out, then go from there testing each thing. It might take a while, with teeth you’ll be playing the long game, but dude, it’s your teeth. Don’t screw around. You can always tinker with body fat and muscle in the future but your chompers are kind of a one shot deal. Lose 'em and you’re screwed.

Enamel loss would make translucent teeth, not white spots. The white spots are rough to the touch. Just Google tooth demineralization for a better picture. The only difference now is that on my old diet, I ate grilled cheese and bacon sandwich. I still eat peanuts, I still eat chicken. Now I eat eggs and beef instead of a grilled cheese bacon sandwich. The only carbs I get now are healthy fiber filled carbs. The carbs i got before were just from two slices of bread for my sourdough sandwich 60g total carbs. Before this keto diet, I never ate vegetables like spinach and avocado like I do now. I was healthy despite not eating vegetables. I decided to eat vegetables and now this. Also. I ONLY drink water. Never anything else. Nothing sour or sweet in my diets.
I have a little white spot on three of my finger nails. Does that mean anything serious?

(Allie) #16

White spots on nails are normally related to mineral deficiency but bear in mind they’re formed when the nail develops so by the time you see them, it’s something you’ve been through and likely resolved already. It takes roughly six months for each nail to fully grow so marks about half way up the nail, for example, will have been caused around three months ago.

One thing I’ve done differently was multivitamin. I didn’t restock on my Animal Pak supplement which I’ve always taken. I’ll link it to show what it contains.

Probably why I’ve been healthy without vegetables.

(Daisy) #18

Haha nice to find someone else who enjoyed this meal! I ate it frequently and no one I talked to had ever thought about it. They all had this “lightbulb moment” look in their eye and say how good it sounded lol

Are you using an app to track your vitamin and mineral consumption daily? If not, I would do that to see if there is something I was somehow missing. You might have an imbalance that needs correcting. Also, might it be an infection?
If nothing else, I’d see a dentist and ask about what is going on.

Back to K2 - it helps get calcium into your bones and teeth and out of places it doesn’t belong (like your heart), among other good things.

(Daisy) #20

Around the time I started keto, I also switched to making my own toothpaste. I noticed that my teeth feel very clean, but I do more easily get calcium buildup between some teeth and at my last dentist appointment, my teeth were much more sensitive to the cleaning. She said they were very healthy though. I don’t know if it’s the keto or the toothpaste though that contributes to the calcium buildup.