Tooth ache from keto?

(Randy) #1

I am 37 and have never had a cavity. I had part of a tooth break off a few years back, and had a filling to fix it. I have been keto for a few weeks. All of a sudden I have a toothache from the tooth that broke years back. The tooth is very sensitive to cold. Is there anyway that this is keto related? Im trying to understand why it would be hurting

(gooeykablooey) #2

Nah you don’t get cavities or tooth aches from keto… you either damaged your filling or you’re having sinus issues (not keto related again) which can give you false tooth pain. Go to the dentist if you don’t think it’s sinus related

I really doubt that Keto is associated to your tooth. I’ve not heard of this before.

(Kylie Woodruff) #4

Is it sensitive to heat as well? If so you could be heading for root canal :frowning: I have had many of these and this has happened to me quite a few times.

Once you have a filling apparently, the tooth does keep on decaying underneath so there is the eventual possibility for more problems sadly.

I would say simple coincidence re timing that’s all. I am guessing the tooth has simply reached the point where you need to do the next thing to it which is never fun. Good luck.

(Laura Z) #6

Randy, I have been in dentistry for about 30 years. Your tooth issue is coincidental, most likely. You could have a leaking filling or if you have been consuming acidic drinks, i.e. ACV in water or vinegar/oil dressings they can actually “etch” your teeth and thus create cold sensitivity. When consuming vinegars and citrus they can lead to cold sensitivity. Rinse well after consuming any of these substances. As Kylie suggested, heat sensitivity can be indicative of the nerve dying in a tooth and the best advice is go see your dentist. You may also want to try a desensitising tooth paste to help reseal the enamel. It is important to NOT rinse after using as you want to leave it on your teeth to allow it to continue to work.
When in doubt go have it checked out!

(Solomom A) #7

Hi Amazinn, do you have any info on oil pulling? Does pulling with coconut oil create an acidic environment?

(Laura Z) #8

Hi Solomom,
I have not seen any research to support oil pulling. I have had some patients tell me they do it and it makes their mouth feel good but as far as healing periodontal disease or cavities I have not seen it cure anything. It is an Ayurvedic practice. The normal oral cavity (meaning with adequate saliva) has a pH of just below 7, so fairly neutral. If your mouth is dry due to medications or you have a concern about acidity, rinsing with a solution of baking soda and water throughout the day can help balance this. I find with Keto my mouth does get drier so I drink lots of water and iced green tea. Also certain mints with xylitol can help prevent decay that can be caused from a long term dry mouth. Peppersmith made in the UK has a line of mints and gum that work great. Spry is a brand available in the USA.

(Solomom A) #9

Thanks

(Randy) #10

I think it was a simple sinus problem. The day my toothache began I had just finished dethatching and mowing my lawn. I was sneezing a lot for a short while. I decided to take some claritin, and my toothache was gone shortly after

(Kori Kerr) #11

After starting keto for a month, I truely believe it does cause teeth problems for some people. After about a week of starting I noticing my teeth hurting. Like all my filled in teeth. I went for one more week and could not handle the pain anymore. I stopped keto. The pain went away. I decided to try it again a couple weeks later because everyone told me there was no way it from keto. Same thing starting happening. I pushed through it another 2 weeks. Next thing I know one of my teeth turned completely black!! I stopped immediately. I did some research and found multiple people asking about their fill ins or areas where a tooth had been repaired hurting while on keto. It’s not everyone, so please don’t take it as I’m saying this will happen to everyone. By there is enough to people out there asking to make me think it’s keto related. I don’t know how but I would recommend if your teeth are hurting to stop and not get a black tooth like me. I’m still trying to heal it 2 months later. Oil pulling has helped tremedesly!!

(Lisa Mcdaniel) #12

Yes, it’s definitely from the Keto, I couldn’t figure out why my teeth have been so sensitive lately, I was on a keto diet a couple months ago and the same thing happened to me with my teeth being super sensitive and hurting, more like aching feeling and certain textures really made my teeth hurt, I got off of the diet, and I didn’t relate it then but my teeth lost the sensitivity, now back on for about 4 days and the same feeling in my teeth and gums are back, there is something to ketosis and your teeth, not for everybody but I’ve read enough to know that it does occur for some people, baffles me as to why and that I would like to know.

(Richard Hanson) #13

Thanks for the “It is important to NOT rinse” advice. I had no idea that this was the proper application technique.

Richard

(Darlene Horsley) #14

Same here with 30 years and in total agreement. A quick method to confirm sinus issues as tooth pain is to bend over with head down. If it is sinus you will definitely feel it in your maxillary (upper) teeth.

I’ve had tooth pain and sensitivity to hot and cold quite often since starting keto. It’s not from keto per se, it has a lot to do with sinuses. My allergies used to be horrendous and I had so many other symptoms I think I just didn’t notice the tooth pain. Now that I’m keto almost all of my allergy symptoms have subsided with the except of some minor sinus inflammation that makes my upper teeth sensitive at times. That is my long winded way of telling you I concur with your thoughts that sinuses are the culprit.

(Kowh ) #16

Sooo I have to say that there is definitely something to keto and tooth sensitivity. My symptoms are similar to those that Kori and Lisa have described; the tooth that was JUST filled (like two months ago…like this should actually be the strongest tooth in my head!) is the one hurting. And it happened quickly…no sensitivity in the morning…nothing in the afternoon, but I went to have a sip of water (room temp!) after my workout and had to hold my jaw because of the pain…not sure how to make it go away…(I’ve used a straw to bypass that one tooth, but it even hurts when my saliva touches it.) So maybe we could agree that the keto diet has something to do with tooth sensitivity (even if it is a secondary effect of changes in the sinus cavity?)…but how to make it go away?

(Laura Z) #17

I do not believe it is a Keto diet that causes tooth sensitivity, merely a coincidence. If you drink ACV this with open the tubules on our enamel and dentin and they can become quite temperature sensitive. It is important to rinse your mouth after consuming ACV drinks or citric acid drinks as that is what we use to actually “etch the enamel/dentin” when we “bond” fillings to a tooth. Your situation of having a recent filling can be another situation, altogether. Silver fillings or Plastic bonded fillings expand and contract when the temperature of what we consume is different than our oral temperature. We can detect even a few degrees. It can take several months before sensitivity diminishes after a new filling is placed. The tooth responds to decay and the resultant fillings by laying down a layer of secondary dentin to protect the nerve. This can take 6 months or more for this to happen. Every time there is a filling or replacement of a filling it insults the nerve and the body does its job by responding…First thing you should try is a desensitising toothpaste such as Sensodyne or any of the brand names. Most important is NOT to rinse out after brushing with these toothpastes. Leave the residue on your teeth and do not eat or drink for 30 mins after using. I know the grit is too much for some to tolerate. If so, rinse and then put a small dab of the desensitising paste on your finger and rub on that specific tooth that gives to pain and leave it. It is best before you go to bed. It may take a week or so to help with the sensitivity but does help tremendously. If you still have sensitivity, return to your dentist to check the occlusion (bite) on your new filling. You may be not hitting it just when you close but when you are using the tooth in a chewing motion. That motion can really jostle the tooth and since you are numb during the procedure of placing the filling, when they check the bite you can not really feel the nuances as when your tooth is fully awake. It only takes 5 mins to “check the bite” and adjust the filling if that is the problem. Please note, even a small disturbance in your chewing pattern on a tooth can result in a lot of discomfort for some of us. “Keep calm and Keto on.”

I know I"m late to this party but the opposite happen to me. One of my molars was sensitive for a good year before starting on keto, my dentist and I together decided that I would wait until I felt it was time (when it became painful) to have a root canal. One month into keto and the sensitivity went away. I don’t know if it’s improved, I would need an X-ray to confirm, but I don’t even know which tooth it was now, that’s how much it improved.

(Atmane Chenaf) #19

Hi I have same problem for one week now. I am on Keto since 6 weeks. my filled tooth (25 years ) I have also a kronic sinuzit .but nver had pain till I went in keto. I am sure is side effect of ketosis.
any suggestion pls?

(Rachel Brooks) #20

I have been working on a keto lifestyle for over a year - honestly, I have yet to make it more than 2 months in a row.

However, with all of my fresh starts, I have a lot of experience with the transition symptoms. I have found that during the first 2-3 weeks of any attempt I will often experience pain - standalone or temp/pressure sensitivity - in my front teeth and molars. It usually disappears after the 3 week mark, which leads me to believe that it is one of my keto-flu symptoms. Incidentally, my ankles and hands also are in intense pain during that same timeframe.