Too Low of Body Fat?

I’ve been keto for 20+ months and have gone from 285 to 165 lbs. I’ve kept losing because I wanted to get to 15% body fat and thought I wasn’t there yet. I went in for a Bod Pod and got a surprise. It had me at 7.5% body fat. My BIA scale (in athlete mode) puts me at the same percentage. Skin fold measurements are the same, too. Haven’t got a DEXA.

My concern is this gives me very little margin. Since the body can only mobilize so much fat per day 31 kcals per lb of fat mass per day at moderate activity level (and may be more like 22 kcals) with only 12 lbs of fat, I’ve only got a few hundred calories available to take from body fat.

Clearly I can’t do extended fasts at this low of a body fat, but would this preclude me from continuing to do intermittent fasting?

This feels like uncharted territory for me. I also find it very hard to gain fat weight with doing CrossFit and eating LCHF. But I’m a former T2D who doesn’t want to increase carbs and go down that road again.

Any thoughts are appreciated. Not looking for “wish that was my problem” comments but expecting I will still get some. I wish I had stopped at 12-15% BF.

(Chris W) #2

Congrats, those are excellent results I have a goal of 9.5% myself.

I would think that if you are IF it should not effect it terribly, I believe it will also depend on your normal expenditure, if you are fat burning jet engine you may have more issues than if you are just active. If you are the first than maybe some restriction to slow the metabolism down a bit if you really wanted too(it is just a suggestion).

So if you are trying to stay in the EF zone that might be more of course of action. I assume you are following some sort of feast fast protocol now already, so maybe lighten the feast and shorten the fast.

Lengthening the IF feeding window may also be an option daily, now I am a full 20lbs of fat higher than you, when I lengthen my feeding window it seems to have slowed down the metabolism some based on results and feeling. I was pretty strict 18:6 for a while, in the last few weeks due to travel and work issues I am al over the map but mainly 14:10 ish. Things have more or less slowed down.

(Karen) #3

Not too much experience with your problem, but I think a second opinion (DEXA) will make your solution more evident. Maybe you will find you’re not exactly at 7.5% body fat. If you keep IF, bump your macros so you don’t lose more weight/body fat.

(Richard Morris) #4

One reason that IF is different is that you have some elastic capacity thanks to circulating lipoproteins. So although you may only have 12 lbs of body fat to provide 378 kCal of energy a day, you have your last meal of fat circulating through your circulation providing the rest.

Chylomicrons carrying fat from the gut (the last meal) circulate for up to 10 hours, that is why when you get a blood test they want you fasted for 10 hours. If they can be sure there are no chylomicrons in circulation they can accurately count all large lipoproteins as VLDL.

So when IFing for 10 hours, you will probably never quite draw that circulating energy down to zero where you then have to rely only on body fat for energy. As someone without a lot of body fat, you will have to make sure that you always have a running supply of energy from fat from the diet.

But for you fasting more than 12 hours you may end up having to use protein for energy. Perhaps for you fat fasting will be a reasonable way to get the low insulin levels and high HGH levels from fasting AND stay fueled from fat.

(Joe) #5

Yeh. Wow. Great job. I would think the science of IF would say as long as your calories are there you should maintain the lean mass and get the benefits of fasting. But staying strict keto without fasting should do the same I would think. I would think your goal should switch to optimal nutrition and continuing to build healthy mass and be ok with adding 3-5% back on.

(matt ) #6

I went too low (157) as well then bounced up a bit higher then I wanted (180). Been happy at 170 for a bit now. I do 18:6 most days and have to eat fat if I go much beyond that or I get cold.

That is theory not fact.
I would not presume that you cannot do extended fasts if you want. I have an uncle who is 6’3 and 190 lbs (dunno his bodyfat but he’s thin and muscular). He fasts 1 day a week (from dinner to breakfast on the 3rd day) in addition to a one week fast once a year. He does it spiritual reasons, and has been done so for 20 years. Just an example, YMMV.

4dml - It was experimentally determined so it is more than just theoretical (SS, Alpert. A limit on the energy transfer rate from the human fat store in hypophagia. J Theor Biol. 233 (1): 1–13): The number may be ideal, but not theoretical. In other words, that’s the maximum rate of fat loss.

Alpert was later contacted and is reported to have said that later experiments show the limit to be closer to 22 than 31. Unfortunately, that’s going in the wrong direction and leaves me with even less fat available.

http://lowcarbstudies.com/blog/2018/03/29/hypophagia-how-much-fat-can-i-lose-in-a-day/

^^^ My own BLOG…

I have a second and third opinion on it already. Skin calipers and BIA scale both show the same number. I’ve considered a DEXA. Might do it. Not a fan of x-rays even at low doses.

I was confounded for a while because the US Navy tape measure method doesn’t deal well with the large amount of extra skin I’ve got. If I slide the skin away I get a low number, too. It’s that loose and no amount of autophagy from fasting is going to fix it any time soon. Not that I can do EF anyway. But that’s not my problem at the moment…

@richard - I think your point is right on.

I wonder if the Alpert number (31 kcals/lb of fat/day) is possibly even more limited though in an IF time window? If the number was considered on a per hour basis that would be something like 1.2 kcals/lb/hr or so . FYI, Alpert also more recently said the number is more like 22 kcals/lb/day. ( http://lowcarbstudies.com/blog/2018/03/29/hypophagia-how-much-fat-can-i-lose-in-a-day/
) If it’s the case that it’s a per unit time value then the difference between the 10 hours of fat circulation and the 16 hours of my IF leaves me with 6 hours at around 14 cals/hr (12 lbs times 1.2 kcals/lb/hr) for a shortfall compared to the 100 or so an hour i am burning…

If I’m figuring this right then I’ve got a shortfall of around 800 calories a day. And that matches the weigh tloss that I have seen over the past couple of months. And it’s just getting worse at a lower body fat (as I spiral towards death). Sounds like I have to ditch IF.

Also wondering if my very low levels of Insulin are at play? Add low levels of Insulin to low glycogen levels. Doesn’t the body prefer to store first as glycogen before it pushes fat into the liver (also pretty lean now) and then into the body cells?

And my glycogen levels are burned even lower because I do CrossFit 5x/week and CrossFit is very glycotic. Incidentally, I notice poorer performance levels now that I have lost down to my current point. My deadlift hasn’t suffered as much but my bench and squat have dropped. I have been blaming it on low body weight but maybe it’s a fueling issue?

Also wonder if being former T2D that I am resistant to Insulin still so that the little bit I have isn’t able to push fat into cells as efficiently? I read somewhere that high fat diets can lead to Insulin Resistance. Not sure if that’s necessarily related to carb intake or not?

Uncharted territory for me and probably most others.

BTW, I got to this point doing PSMF. Loved it. Lost a couple of lbs a week like it was a dream. I still do high levels of Protein - most days 240 g total. Not sure if that counts into this or not.

(Philip Appiah) #11

I am 154 lbs and 6ft 1 I’m about 15% body fat according to the scales at the gym . I fast for 40 hours every week from Sunday night to Tuesday night and I swim and go to the gym on my fasting days I used to do high intensity exercise(spinning) which was a bit of a struggle at first but once you get warmed up it’s ok but I found it kept lower my ketones. I started doing low intensity exercise and I was getting some good results regarding my ketone levels. my aim is to try and get levels of 4.0 and above I haven’t managed to achieve this - the furthest I can get is about 2.8 after couple of days fastingand then always seem to drop down. I think I’m probably burning a bit of muscle when I exercise during a fast but I don’t think it’s too much of a problem maybe someone knows if I’m doing myself long term damage? Also does anybody know how I can achieve high ketone levels and stay there all all week long and my ketone levelsnot going up and down? I have started reading about superstarch or basic cornstarch as a way to do high intensity exercise and stay in ketosis I’m looking forward to experimenting with it.

(Justin Jordan) #12

That paper (at least according to Richard, used the Minnesota Starvation experiment data. That alone means there’s reason to doubt - those were non obese people being fed a low calorie high carb diet with fairly little protein and fat. That’s a LOT of confounders to considering that a maximum amount of fat loss possible. It’s also a number derived from ONE experiment, which is not great science.

And indeed, it’s one experiment with 32 subjects in a fairly narrow age range who were all men.

It might be right, it might not.

Alpert didn’t do additional experiments at all, he refined the math, which is what he says in the link you cited.

(Richard Morris) #13

Unfortunately Seymore Alpert died from complications of surgery in 2014 so we can’t ask him. I tend to believe the analysis because of those weird facts about the subjects in the data.

These were non-obese subjects (therefore no apparent problem recruiting body fat to use for energy), all men (a gender that has a greater energy demand), religious conscientious objectors (mostly from Mennonite communities with high grain consumption) fed a starchy diet expected to be available in post WW2 europe (therefore more tubers than grains). They were also fat adapted as they had been on an 1560 kCal 2 meal a day intake for 24 weeks and ran 5km a day - they burned 25% of their body weight in fat and lean tissue.

Also it was run by Ancel Keys who was a good collector of data but a slippery weasel when it came to analyzing data.

What Keys did was measure everything while starving them on not enough calories - body weight, immersed body weight (ie: density), internal temperatures, exercise tolerance, mental functioning. The fact that none of this was supporting or refuting his own hypotheses and he had no idea what someone could do with this data 70 years later causes me to not question the data just because it was collected by Ancel Keys.

Remember the question is what is the maximum amount of energy you can draw from the system. There has to be some limit or humans would self-combust when they went for a jog.

What Symore Alpert did was assume that a human body with access to energy stored in body fat, will use that rather than protein to supplement a shortfall in intake energy. That’s probably how I would design the energy system too, burn the chopped wood behind the woodshed first before you have to burn the actual woodshed for energy.

However I suspect that THAT is the area that Alpert’s calculations may turn out to be incorrect, or more likely require a little more nuance.

As for populations who will have different levels of maximal access to energy; I would expect children, women and the elderly to have a lower rate limit. I would expect elevated insulin to also lower the rate, so amount of carbs in an ad-libitum diet would have an effect. For people who are obese hyperinsulinemic diabetics, that could lower to 20% of a normal hpoinsulinaemic man, for ketogenic former diabetics who have lost 100lbs and stalled that could be a much smaller fraction.

The rate limit is “out of adipose”, putting more in such as in a feeding window shouldn’t affect the rate that fat cells can contribute energy but it will decrease the amount they do contribute because they will be taking in some of that energy from the diet - so the net they contribute drops.

Yup. Our plateau when we go ketogenic will be determined by how elevated our insulin remains once we have removed any support from diet.

That makes sense. Your rate of energy access is lower because your energy storing mass is lower, and your body will adjust by dialing down it’s expectations of how fast it can access energy.

Someone with less body fat is trading off a functional advantage for a cosmetic one. Someone with 7% body fat is like an iPhone with half the battery size of someone with 14% body fat, and 1/3 of the size of the battery of someone with 21% BF. Those of us who start out with 50% body fat are like phones duct taped to a couple of extra power bricks.

Nah. That’s just a willful misunderstanding by vegan activists. One of the mechanisms of insulin resistance in muscle cells is the build up of fat droplets - the cells become insulin resistant to decrease the glucose coming in so they draw down the fat. But if insulin is really high they are inhibited from using fat too. The cell stays insulin resistant until insulin levels can be brought down enough to draw down the fatty droplets.

It depends on your total lean mass. If you have 80kgs of lean mass you can probably eat that amount of protein no problems. Humans run into trouble when they go over 3.3g/kg and ammonia builds up which can be quite dangerous.

In a normal human that will be self limiting as the build up of ammonia causes nausea, which can be a misread as satiation, but is likely to be in advance of energy requirements. In other words a protein sparing modified fast if you have normal access to body fat (ie: low enough insulin) is just another way to do a caloric restriction, but it feels like an ad-libitum diet. Not really a good idea if you can’t access adequate energy from body fat (either you don’t have enough or your insulin is high), because then you will run out of the minimal necessary amount of energy and recruit lean tissue for energy resulting in a great amount of ammonia production.

I suspect if the OP goes on a normal ketogenic diet he may find that body fat increases to the point where his body is happy with the size of battery he is carrying.

(Troy) #14

So for summary or clarification
sorry😬
An individual w low BF% ( 8-12ish )
In keeping 20carbs the same
Activity- moderate To high

1)What “ should “ the above go for as far as protein and fat?
2) And w IF , EF, and or ideal eating windows , what the “ recommendation?

ALL blogs, post , links or podcasts are welcome😃
Thanks

Maybe …it’s just 3.14 pi Or the FOIL method …YMMV?:thinking:

I mean n=1
:joy::joy:

Not sure where the 3.3g/kg number came from. I did find this study showing an even higher level Jose Antonio, Corey A Peacock, Anya Ellerbroek, Brandon Fromhoff and Tobin Silver. The effects of consuming a high protein diet (4.4 g/kg/d) on body composition in resistance-trained individuals. Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition 2014:11:19.

https://jissn.biomedcentral.com/track/pdf/10.1186/1550-2783-11-19

@richard - I am sure somewhere you cite your source for the 3.3g/kg limit due to urea buildup but I can’t find the source. I did google a bit to find it.

Could you point me to it?

(Ken) #17

I for one, can completely validate the detrimental effects of over consumption of lean protein, although I don’t have any specific data on amounts required. I’ve done it several times, and now studiously avoid it. The culprit is always roast beef, one of my favourite foods. Typically, it’s when I make a roast that is fairly lean, and if I eat a large amount of it without anything else over the course of the day the bad effects happen. The effects are twofold, being both an extreme laxative effect as well as energy balance issues. Basically spending lot’s of time on the toilet while feeling terrible. A total clean out of my system.

Eating just lean meat really doesn’t provided much of a leptin response. Now, I’m much more careful, and always make sure when I’m eating roast beef I eat 1/3 fat along with it.

Can’t you just up your carbs a bit during your feeding window to make up for the intermittent fasting if you don’t want to lose any more body fat? There are body builders with VERY LOW body fat that still do intermittent fasting. You also might up your fats during your feeding window so that your body will burn the fat you are eating, rather than trying to take it from your stored fat.

I’ve been down the higher carb path in years past when I tried to do Atkins maintenance. More carbs is not good for me. Starts a bad slide down.

I am doing Dr. Ted Naiman’s macros and the loss seems to be slowing down.

Body Weight = 165.
Protein = 165 g (1g per lb)
Carbs = 20 g
Fat = 145 g (165-20)

Protein is supposed to be based on LEAN body mass, not total body weight. Your protein seems high, which could be why you aren’t losing. Your body can turn excess protein into glucose which would be the same as upping your carbs above 50 grams. Try reducing protein. Also, those macros put you at over 2000 calories per day. Are you very active? Do you work out? If you don’t exercise you may be eating too many calories. What is your TDEE (total daily expenditure)? Also, for protein, unless you are trying to build muscle, you only need between 0.8 -1.0 grams of protein per pound of lean body mass. If your body fat is very low, what is your goal, to maintain muscle mass? You said your loss seems to be slowing down but with your body fat being what it is, what are you trying to lose?