Tomato Woes

(KM) #1

So there has been an invasion of tomato volunteers in my garden. I let them stay and now I’ve got about a pint of glorious fruit a day, or more. Looks like this will last til at least October, I’ve never had such a bounty.

I know, we should all have such problems. But … Well … Comments please! At what point is this half-tomato diet going to wreck my hard earned ketovore stasis?

(Peter - Don't Fear the Fat ) #2

Oh no that’s it now. Your a convert! 100% sugar burner :sneezing_face::sneezing_face::joy:

I used to box or bag up extra tomatoes and place them by the road with a “free” sign. They were always gone in no time.

(Bob M) #4

I don’t have near the bounty, but I usually eat them. I think it’s the way we should eat (for those of us with genetics from Europe anyway), where we eat more carbs in the late summer/early fall, then eat near zero carbs in the winter.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #5

Give them to a food pantry, where they will be greatly appreciated.

(KM) #6

Oh, it’s not that I have any lack of grateful takers … I just love tomatoes and I enjoy gorging myself on natural organic produce. Eventually I’ll have the same issue with raspberries. :shushing_face:

Somehow it just seems like it should be healthy for me if it comes from my own garden, in whatever quantity I want. I do appreciate the gorge-then-hibernate theory, but I’m feeling so good with continual keto, I’m not sure which is the right approach.

(Peter - Don't Fear the Fat ) #7

You could preserve them. I did a green and red tomato chutney, the recipe may need adapting a tad though.

(KM) #8

Yes, good idea, I’m considering canning arrabiata sauce, or maybe a salsa. That’s probably a more reasonable approach than walking into the garden with a bushel basket and a salt shaker!

(Peter - Don't Fear the Fat ) #9

Love tomatoes but as a preservation method I’ve never enjoyed Sun Dried Tomatoes… funny, there’s something about that flavour I could never like, maybe it’s a sweetness?

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #10

I vote for not overdoing nightshades. They contain solanine and oxalic acid. Of course, potatoes contain more solanine than tomatoes, but still.

I would pressure can them :slight_smile: Very very simple and my tomatoes never spoiled I think… :thinking:

I definitely wouldn’t eat a ton of vegs or fruits at once as I just don’t need or want them anymore. I had a very off weekend and I ate a tiny amount of my first tomato, it was enough. (But I have a veggie and fruit lover high-carber SO so a little is no problem. Lots of produce and I grab the pressure cooker! If it’s the kind that handles it well. I never will try to can cucchini again… Peppers are good too. And all fruits, of course, the sugar probably helps.)

Since I live in a food desert, just giving them away to random passersby seemed the right thing to do. I put all kinds of produce out there, not just tomatoes.

(Bob M) #13

If you know how to make something like spaghetti sauce, that would be good too. My grandmother made all of that, and had excellent pasta. But we use spaghetti sauce on meat (beef and sausage) to make a “bolognese” sauce that I eat just like that.

Personally, I’ve been eating a few small tomatoes every day. But we’re not getting that much.

(Joey) #14

We’ve also got a tomato garden and, when we get a bumper crop, we still eat most, while also giving some to neighbors. Frankly, we don’t worry much about any long term consequences. Keto on.

(They go great with pesto on fresh mozzarella slices, drizzled with olive oil and vinegar with chopped garden-grown basil.) :it:

(Peter - Don't Fear the Fat ) #15

As a child I was always warned about Belladonna, Deadly Nightshade.
So finding out Tomatoes are also a nightshade came as a shock!
I’m still eating them but not so much now lol

(Geoffrey) #16

Gave every bit of my garden harvest to neighbors this year.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #17

The nightshades include tomatoes, potatoes, tobacco, eggplant (aubergine), bell peppers (capsicums), and chili peppers. Among the ornamental plants are petunia, mandrake, and belladona (deadly nightshade). Important chemicals derived from the nightshades include scopolamine, atropine, nicotine, and capsaicin.

(Bob M) #18

I’ve always had a hard time with this nightshade stuff. For instance, I have no issues I can find when I eat tomatoes. On the other hand, well-cooked bell peppers are better for me, as I do get negative effects when eating uncooked or less cooked bell peppers.

But even there, the devil is in the details. I can have small amounts seemingly without ill effects, but if I eat of lot, that’s when bad things happen.

Potatoes – I’ve never found any negative effects (in term of gastrointestinal distress) from eating potatoes.

As always, it’s more complex than what most people state.