Tomato paste/puree

(mags) #1

Hi. Has anyone found low carb tomato puree or paste in the UK. I’m anxious to try a couple of recipes but am nervy about the high carb content of the :tomato:. Thanks

(Allie) #2

I just make sure there’s no added sugar listed on the ingredients.

(mags) #3

Thanks allie. I’ve just seen lots of references to low carb and wondered if we have it too

(Norma Laming) #4

You can get tubes of pure tomato paste or purée on most supermarkets but tomatoes are high carb fruit and I don’t eat them

(mags) #5

I thought there might be some magic stuff out there that had carbs lowered. I eat a few tomatoes in a salad and use some in a chilli or bolognaise because we still have to live don’t we :grinning:

(Allie) #6

I don’t worry about the carb content at all because the kind of recipes it’s used for tend to use so little that the carbs are neglible. Even if a recipe calls for half a tube, that’s going to go across several meals so it’s not an issue for me.

I have tomatoes in salads when I have them too, and sliced tomatoes when I make a burger stack. The quantities aren’t worth worrying about.

(mags) #7

Are you the same with onion? I treat them in the same way as tomatoes. I use them but don’t overdo the quantity

(Allie) #8

I very rarely use onion, but that’s because cutting them up is so bad, not for keto reasons. I’ve never really been a fan of them tbh.

I think (as with most things) the key is the size of the portion.

Nowadays (carnivore) I avoid tomatoes unless cooking for my husband, but then I will happily cook with tomato puree or paste. Usually the cheaper versions are far more acidic, while the more expensive versions have been made with riper tomatoes, which means they are sweeter. Since all tomato now tastes sweet to me, the acidity in the cheap ones isn’t a problem. :slight_smile:

(mags) #10

I’ve just been reading about your zero carb journey. It’s something I’ve been considering trying myself. My reluctance is how much I enjoy a big salad. It fills the plate and is so easy to pile on the fat. I’ve always been able to make a salad ridiculously high calorie. Nibbling on a naked lettuce leaf has never been my thing! But if I can give up bread and chocolate then I can give up anything. I want to do something different from fasting for 3 days a week which I’m finding hard now. Are you fasting?

:blush:
I’ve been intermittently fasting for a couple of years now. Nothing formal. Just not bothering with breakfast around 5 days a week. Just because i only want to eat a couple of times a day.

I did a few weeks of OMAD but didn’t get on with it. Didn’t lose any weight, and it was better for me to eat twice rather than wait for the evening and then want to gorge. And risk losing my self discipline. I don’t do well trying to sleep when hungry.

However, 3 meals a day is just too much nowadays. At the weekend, when I may eat breakfast, i usually skip lunch. Just don’t want to eat more often.

(mags) #12

I’m either OMAD or lunch and dinner when I’m not fasting. I work away 3days most weeks and try to water fast while away. It’s broken the habit of obsessing about where and what I’m going to eat in the evening. This week I’m home and had a dreadful day today. I’ve picked all day…mostly cheese. I’m out of routine and have been opening and shutting the fridge door all day. Not done that for months :confused: