Today is my five-year ketoversary

(Marianne) #1

Five years today and am so happy I found keto and this forum. When I started, I knew virtually nothing about how to do this. I researched a lot on dietdoctor.com (sadly, that site has changed markedly and not for the better, IMO), read The Obesity Code by Jason Fung, and was on this forum constantly with questions and updates. Keto/carnivore is one of the best discoveries to ever happen to me. I feel better than I ever have. I appreciate the support I receive here and learning about the science behind this WOE explained in layman’s terms. Thanks, everyone!

(KCKO, KCFO) #2

Happy ketoversary to you. Well done.

I used dietdoctor for a while, still check out the free stuff, but the recipes are more low carb, not keto/lower carb these days. The infograms are still there for free and I do refer newbies to those still.

This forum is priceless to me.

Happy ketoversary! :smiley:

I remember the first times after every diet changes of mine… I was so lost sometimes, not knowing what to eat :smiley: And made zillion new recipes and things got easier. And spent unhealthy amounts on forums… Less lovely ones than this one.

(Central Florida Bob ) #4

Congratulations! Five years is a big milestone, and it sounds like the chances are zip of you going back to your old ways.

I’m concerned that this forum seems to be withering. The number of posts every day seems to be pretty low. I suppose that since the podcast isn’t a regular thing anymore, people don’t search on that term (Two Keto Dudes) as much.

(Geoffrey) #5

Congratulations on a great milestone.

(Robin) #6

You are my inspiration and support system, sister!
Congrats!

(Marianne) #7

I’ve noticed that as well and I’m not sure why. I guess keto isn’t getting the press that it did several years ago. It’s really too bad. For people looking to lose weight, I think this WOE is a lot easier than any other “diet” out there. My hope is that they will try it, like it, and stick with it for the long run. I think the whole “plant based diet” thing is the dogma that people have adopted as the way to losing weight and reaching optimal health.

(Marianne) #8

:sob::blush::innocent:

Girl, back atcha. You are the poster child for successful keto/carnivore/lc.

(Robin) #9

I think we ebb and flow with forum participation. Some people flourish with community and stay well past actually “needing” it to stay on track.

Others use it until they have figured it out and then move on, maybe checking in now and then for specific reasons. I might have been that way if I’d not become an admin.

But I so appreciate the folks on here, especially when newbies come along and need info and support. We rock at that.
And it’s not uncommon for people to drop off the forum and come back later to report that we were the springboard to their success.

So… ebb and flow. That’s my story and I’m sticking with it.

(KCKO, KCFO) #10

Long ago, I was a vegetarian, never been less healthy in my lifetime than those days. I got pneumonia, could not get over it, ended up in hospital. All up sickist 12 months of my life. I started adding back in meat products and slowly recovered my health.

(Edith) #11

Yes, I’ve noticed the same thing. In years past there has always been a lot of newbies after the New Year. This year, very few.

It will be seven years for me this summer. I have to admit, I don’t post nearly as much as I used to. I’ve considered dropping off as well, but I like checking in with all the regulars too much to stay away.

(Central Florida Bob ) #12

I think the “plant based diet” thing is the most effective propaganda campaign in history. It’s in every food pyramid or equivalent I’ve ever seen. Then there’s that company (I won’t name) that dehydrates “fruitsanvegetables” (it’s one word now, doncha know), grinds up the dehydrated junk, stuffs it in capsules and sells them nonstop. Because Americans “don’t get enough fruitsanvegetables.”

In fairness to those who say your blood type affects such things, I’ll say maybe it’s true for some small part of the population, but there’s no doubt in my mind that the majority of people in the world who are metabolically sick are that way because of too many carbs in their diet.

Every time I see an ad for one of those diabetes medications or to treat the various kinds of bipolar depression, I think of all the people who have been healed by keto and ask, “is that pie or those chips or whatever worth being sick all your life over and on thousands of dollars of medication per year?”

(Bob M) #13

Congratulations on five years!

I also wonder why there was less of a flood of people after January 1. I can’t answer why that would be, though.

(Edith) #14

Agreed!

Probably more people having New Year’s resolutions to go vegetarian.

(487108afe5bfbe163c00) #16

I have a friend who developed epilepsy in her 50’s. Medication has not been controlling it very well. I provided her with a bunch of info about how keto can be used to control seizures and sent her links to places that work with epileptics and diet. One of these places is Johns Hopkins Medical Center, a very respected medical school and research hospital, which also happens to be fairly close to where she lives. She won’t give keto a try and is having electrodes implanted in her brain.

(Bob M) #17

I don’t have anything against vegetarians, but many of us – including me – have a hard time with plants. For me, they have to be fermented or well cooked, save a few exceptions (olives - technically a fruit though, capers, and a few more).

(Jane) #18

Congratulations!!! And thanks for being an inspiration to so many of us.

I see nothing wrong with being a vegetarian ketoer - if it suits the one in question, of course. It was a bit limiting to me (I missed my vegs) and way too carby too. Carnivore is loads better and easier but it’s for this period of my life. I did need my vegetarian keto on/off years.
Ovo-lacto vegetarian, high animal protein. I don’t even know how many people could do veganism, it seems so super hard when one needs high protein and low-carb like I do. And simplicity. I totally can imagine planning something for me but sticking to it? Oh my. Nope. That ship is sailed :smiley: And I do need very low plant carbs so even vegetarianism is out now. I could survive on it still (I had no problem with my vegetarian diet ever, I was quite healthy and enjoyed my food but as soon as I figured out I need to go really low non-animal carbs for optimal health and well-being, things changed) but my standards aren’t that low :wink:

By the way, I see nothing wrong with being a high-carber vegetarian if that suits the one in question, either.

(Marianne) #20

:partying_face:

Awesome!

(Marianne) #21

I just find that so sad. People will try anything (a pill, preferably), but to them, anyone touting the benefits of a LC/HF WOE or worst-yet, eating too much “meat”, is downright crazy.