Today, i start over

(jilliangordona) #2

You got this!!!

(Karen) #3

I panic a little when I eat more than 1200 calories. I’ve eaten that for years. Stopped losing a while ago. Then I needed to be at 1000 to lose. Your body gets very efficient.

On keto at first I cico’d. Then I tried an experiment for three days. 1500 but the 300 over 1200 was fat only. I’ll be darned if i didn’t lose every day of the 3 days.

My mind keeps fighting not doing deficit. Good for you for your new focus!

K

(Gina Craig) #4

Good Morning,

I am new to the forum, but not necessarily to the diet world! I started keto on January 1st and have not strayed one bit. I made the mistake of not weighing myself so I dont have a starting point. I wanted to not be a slave to the scale, I was afraid if I didnt see it move i would get discouraged and say hell with this! well unfortunately I went for my yearly with the gyno and low and behold, they weighted me. Imagine my horror!! I knew I gained weight but that was out of control. Of course I got the lecture that my BP was high and I needed to lose weight. I did not dare to mention I already knew that and I have started to keto diet. I was not in the mood for another lecture.

Now the first couple of days I started the day off on he scale until I realized there no movement. Heck with that, I know feel better, and I refuse the stupid scale dictate my way if life. My concern is I have zero clue if I am doing it right! My BF is a type 2 diabetic and I used his keto strips and they are at about the 15-40 mark depending on the day. I am petrified to tell any one or ask anyone about the diet because of all the negativity that surrounds it. I mentioned it once and got a thirty minute lecture.

any advice you can give me?? I’d sure appreciate it

Gina

(Sophie) #5

Calories from fat is a GOOD thing!

It is a process - that does take time. Always good to review the basics because I know for myself, I will believe I am on track - and then find a few slack habits slipping in. The other challenge is just when you think you have it all locked down to a nice routine - then its time for a big shake up by feasting/fasting/changing foods etc. Just be kind to yourself and trust it will come along for you as long as you keep trying.

(Candy Lind) #7

I know some people DO gain weight at first. When your hormones are screwed up, things just don’t work like they should. If you feel better, and you’re certain your carbs are low, then I say keep on plugging. If you aren’t 100% certain, read more about hidden carbs in the forums & make sure you’re avoiding them. I know I was actually closer to 30 carbs at first, then I found all the hidden “onesie-twosies” I’d been missing. What a shock! That 10 extra carbs added up fast.

Keep track of that BP; it should get better as time progresses. And KCKO! Look at the Acronyms Wiki if you don’t know what that means! :wink:

(Gina Craig) #8

Thank you! Hormones are awful and I agree, I think I need to make sure i`m not over doing it on my carbs.

I have read everything I can about this diet and I see people with such incredible results, I guess I want them now!

(Heather Miller) #9

Hi Gina. Sounds like you are ready to make a change and that is great! Don’t worry, it is a learning process and you can learn as you go. If you want to start simple just cut out the junk…sugar, grains, pasta, processed foods…limit fruit (or none) and eat only non starchy vegetables. Then you can start to read more and refine your choices. I lost a lot of my weight by doing what is often called lazy keto. Keep total grams of carb under 20 per day, eat palm size amount of protein at meals, eat only when hungry, no snacking, eat fat to satiety…you can do it!

(Gina Craig) #10

Thank you!!

One thing to hold dear, women often don’t see scale numbers change for awhile but do see tape measurements change. There are some great before and after pics people have shared on this forum where you can see seriously reduced tummys and the poster says that the scale didn’t change for them. Non-scale victories are really, really, important to notice.

(Candy Lind) #12

Progress report - NSV already! I drank BPC with coconut oil & butter this morning after my 1500-calorie day yesterday. I have not been hungry ALL DAY! It’s been nearly 21 hours since I ate. I cooked pork necks in my Instant Pot, then some veggies in the pot juice while I pulled the meat off the bones. I baked beef bones for bone broth and crisped up some of the neck meat in bacon grease to eat with the veggies. But I’m not eating it - I’m still not hungry!! Maybe a little twinge, but not ravenous like I usually get while I’m cooking - I usually want to plate it up as soon as it’s done! For me, this is unheard of. I’m one happy camper.

(JGL) #13

Yes, Candy, welcome to Team No Scale! I am happy to hear your updates.

I have no idea what’s is going on with respect to the scale, but I know it’s like 23 days in for me now and I had to buy smaller leggings and running shirts for skating because mine are getting baggy, so something’s happening, although I need to do more work on arm strength, I’ve been neglecting that. I am so much happier looking at these different markers and parameters of how my transition to fat-adaptation is going. I think this is a good move and I am happy to hear you’re going this route.

Re: food and activity-- Some days I’m eating like 1100 calories, some days it is more like 2200-- as you get more active (and especially since it doesn’t sound like you’re having crazy carb cravings) pay attention to when your body says it is hungry and then FEED it-- blow past whatever number you have calculated for yourself if that is what your body needs, because keeping yourself below a threshold you have developed as a psychological barrier might be part of what keeps your energy levels down. It is great to hear upping your fat intake is helping you move into IF mode naturally-- that is definitely the other part of “listening to what you’re body is telling you” and learning to TRUST that.

I have heard you mention a few times working on metabolic and hormonal healing, which is of course super important, but part of that sounds like you’re not quite trusting your body because you perceive it as needing to do a lot more healing. Of course, I have no idea what is going on with your lab results and such, but you have been on this path for many months now-- I’d like to advocate for you thinking about your relationship to your body a little differently-- shifting some focus on the healing that has already happened, the things that have improved, objectively or subjectively, rather than looking predominantly on what you think you’re doing “wrong.” I think developing more trust in your body and what it can do will help you experience more happiness in the process and help with some of the psychological/emotional healing that I think is part of so many people’s necessary journey. It will also help you listen more carefully to the hunger and satiety signals that you’ll experience more intensely with upping your fat intake (in my experience) I think women in particular are socialized to think too much about what they/their body is doing “wrong”, but I think you are and have been doing lots of things right, and I think that is really worth honoring, celebrating and not throwing out. If you need to think of it as a reset, I respect that. What if this were more like stepping into the next stage, though, so you don’t need to look at these past months as ‘bad’ or ‘less’-- just a different intensity, different parameters.

Re: electrolytes: Yesssss. My energy levels dipped for a couple of days and it was TOTALLY an electrolytes situation. Upping my electrolyte intake shot my energy levels back up and made it easier to sleep. I think becoming truly fat-adapted really does create more demand for electrolyte replenishing, so I think that’s a good move.

I support you, I’m here for you, I’m rooting for you!
xoJGL

(Candy Lind) #14

You are right - I am a good Lutheran, and as such I have a tremendous guilt complex! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: I tend to be hard on myself. But I don’t look at everything I’ve been doing as a “throw-away” by any means - my 55-pound loss since April ‘17 (I went keto beginning of June) is nothing to sneeze at, and I certainly feel much better & my knee pains me far less. I’m having fun finding favorite old clothes that fit again and getting rid of items that I will never grow into again. Never fear, this really IS just the next chapter, one I hope reaps great rewards. So, as Martin Luther would intone, I am “saved by Grace through faith” - faith in the keto WOL, in this instance. :innocent:

(Gina Craig) #15

Thank you Elaine. Three weeks in and I feel a difference for sure. I just didn’t know if it was just me wanting so bad to get results!

(JGL) #16

I just love everything in this reply.

Also as a former Catholic, I hear you on the guilt complex-- you could say my entire life, through a particular prism, is all about unlearning that cultural baggage, which is probably why I was picking up on it here!

Cheers to the next chapter!
xoJGL

(Karen) #17

Nothing wrong with a little good Lutheran guilt. :wink:
Helps me accomplish more than I might otherwise choose :grin:
You’ve lost so much!! I’m impressed!!
May the force be with you…“And also with you!”

K

(Candy Lind) #18

:innocent: :rofl::rofl::rofl:
Thanks, Karen, I needed that!

(Candy Lind) #19

Yeah, yeah, I know the little sticks are telling me something that was, and something not so terribly useful at that … but … I’m wasting ketones right and left! image

(Keto Travels) #20

Thanks Karen for brightening up my Sunday morning! :rofl:

(Candy Lind) #21

SO. ANOTHER NSV - you can’t really feel much better than when you get a text like this from a person you’ve been advising (the one that prompted this topic in the first place): “Thank you, thank you, thank you for introducing me to this diet and all your help! I get scared every once in awhile, haunted by the ghost of diets past, and think what am I doing I’m going to have a heart attack or balloon to 500 lbs. Then I think of you and know the opposite is true. LOL”

Don’t you love that “ghosts of diets past”?

NSV - mentoring