Today I am completing my 2nd day of water fasting, 3 days since I began giving things up

(Will Henley) #1

I have been having vision issues for almost 2 years now. First I was diagnosed with CME, cystoid macular edema. Now I was just diagnosed with swelling of my optic nerve. I’ve had reasonably great vision with zero eye issues my whole life, until two years ago. I have a cataract in each eye due to the steroid eye drops I took for 18 months.

I am hungry a little from time to time, but when I catch myself thinking and contemplating my hunger I tell myself quickly that I have to starve the disease. I have to follow this regimen very closely so my body, internally, becomes the place where healing, repair and rejuvenation can begin.

I have learned that ll the problems, the issues with maintaining a fast, well it is all in my head. By nature I am a very weak person when it comes to making decisions about my health, what I eat, how much I drink, exercise etc. So it is a miracle I have gone this long and kept to my guns.

I should say for the record, I am a 50 year old male, white, have been overweight for years and have had a slow thyroid for 11 years and take levathyroxin.
Will

Welcome and good luck on reaching your fasting goal, Will. How long do you plan for your fast to last? Are you starting from a regular high-carb diet or keto?

(Windmill Tilter) #3

Welcome Will. I’m a big fan of extended fasting, but I don’t know much about how it intersects with slow thyroid. I’m pretty sure I’ve seen topics here that address that subject though. Definitely check out the search bar to try to find some of them. You might find some helpful advice or lessons learned are helpful to you.

It’s possible that it might be more important for you than for most people to get fully fat adapted prior to doing too much extended fasting lest you put undue stress on an already hard working thyroid. Either way, I wish good luck! KCKO. :slight_smile: