Today for example...?

Hello, so this morning I did what I consider a pretty intense bike ride. It was a mix of gravel/singletrack for 90 minutes in duration. During that time my average heart rate was 148 bpm and I burned 1000 calories.
I rode in the morning and had not eaten since late last evening (by accident), so I skipped breakfast and drank and 0 cal/0 sugar electrolyte drink during ride, had another serving immediately following.
This ride bumped my macros around considerably allowing me to have around 3000 calories for the day (normally 2000). When I came home I ate a considerable meal of 2 eggs, ground beef, cheese, .5 avocado.
So even after logging that meal I still have 131g of protein, 170g of fat, and about 12 grams of carbs (to put me at 5g for the day).
So my questions are…
I know I will fall short trying to consume this much, what is best to focus on for recovery/satiation?
Is a ride similar to what I did a good way to get into ketosis sooner after a slip up?
Would habitually doing rides similar to above (3-4x a week) lead my body to store glucose more as a protective factor for knowing I was going to exert myself? I recently had bloodwork and my glucose was high/out of range, which led to adopting a ketogenic approach?
On days where I burn that many calories exercising am I best factoring it in and bumping macros or should I just stick to what is calculated before considering activity/exercise.
Thank you for any information/feedback!

(Sheri Knauer) #2

For recovery, I would personally make sure to get adequate protein. Eat fat to satiety. Unless you are training for an event of some kind, doing an intense bike ride 3-4x a week may start to be stressful on your body and may negatively impact your goals. You may find some good info regarding eating and exercising on Ted Naimans’ website: http://burnfatnotsugar.com/index.html

(traci simpson) #3

One of the Two Keto Dudes is an avid bike rider. You should reach out to him for advice.

(Edith) #4

I believe you should just follow your hunger signals instead of calorie numbers. You really don’t know that you burned 1000 calories exactly. Just eat until satiety. If you get hungry, eat again. It’s all about listening to your body.

Also, after a hard workout like that you may even find you are a few pounds heavier for the next day or two because your muscles hold water to help them repair. Don’t freak out.

(Jill F.) #5

I agree eat to satiety especially after a heavy workout. I listen to my body and just eat more on days I feel more hungry. Some days I eat a lot less, just listen it will tell you.