Today.com article "Is the ketogenic diet right for you? Nutritionists weigh in"

(fubeca) #1

WOW!!! That is what I thought when I saw this article on Today.com and read it almost all the way through still saying “WOW!” until…well you’ll see. An article in the mainstream positive (Well about 95% of it) about Keto…

(Bacon for the Win) #2

we’re going to run out of avocados if they keep this up :frowning2:

ok, never mind. I actually read the article. Typical Today rubbish. No science involved.

(Chris Bair) #3

People with heart disease or diabetes should especially stay away

wait… what? of course a “nutritionist” would say that. Crimeny.

(Barbara Greenwood) #4

“Since this diet doesn’t provide all the essential nutrients, you’d need to take supplements and multi-vitamins”

What? They’ve clearly never asked someone who has been following a ketogenic diet long term what they actually eat.

(Michelle) #5

I was a bit afraid that my avocado prices would go up even further, but I hope mainstream latches on to this so I can see bacon, butter and avocados go on sale now.

From the article:
“It’s not really sustainable, nor is it good for you,” Taub-Dix added. “In most cases, you’re just dying to have a cracker so the weight gain is usually pretty quick as well.”

Dying to have a cracker? Crackers were making me die. No longer do I want that!!

Again, easiest WOE I’ve ever tried. I have no cravings for carbs anymore. I have some cravings for sugar, and when I do, it’s easy to replace with a stevia sweetened fat bomb.

(Jenn Monaghan) #6

I was hoping to read more about the venture capitalists and how they all started.

I see it linked the the article with more about the venture capitalists. I missed it the first time: http://www.cnbc.com/2017/04/28/ketogenic-diets-silicon-valley-investors-body-hack-for-better-health.html

(Adam Kirby) #7

What a completely retarded writeup. “you can lose weight on keto, one reason is because your body burns fat for fuel”. No fucking shit?? I thought that’s what everyone who diets is trying to accomplish??? “very restrictive”, “healthy fats” (aka not meat), “balanced diet”, blah blah blah.

(Dustin Cade) #8

it still spins a cautionary tale of keto… saying that the people who can benefit the most are the ones who should avoid it…

(Jessica) #9

People with heart disease or diabetes should especially stay away

Dafuq did I just read?

(Dustin Cade) #10

this was published back in December, I read it back then, its deceptively negative…

(Adam Kirby) #11

If I had a tinfoil hat I would almost think it was sponsored by the sugar and grain industry, lol.

(eat more) #12

uhm…yeah “a cracker” would never be what i was dying for…crackers were for when your stomach was upset and even then i didn’t eat them…only a SAD nutritionist would consider “a cracker” an uncontrollable craveable thing and even then…plenty of keto crackers to be made :joy: :joy:

(Casey Brown) #13

Ugh I just need to quit reading articles like this, it just makes me angry.

(Tim) #14

Nothing but FUD (fear, uncertainty, and doubt) coming out of these “nutritionists’s” mouths. They see the tide rising against them and, in a desperate attempt to remain relevant to the conversation, do whatever they can to minimize differing viewpoints.

(Jo Lo) #15

Consider the source!

From her bio (all we really need to know):

"Bonnie is an adviser to global corporations , food companies, and Media outlets. "
in other words, a paid consultant. CONFLICT OF INTEREST

From her bio (in just 3 years she wrote four different fad diet books, including one proposing that snacking all day long will help you lose weight. Right.):

"Keri has authored four books; the most recent book, The New You and Improved Diet (Rodale, Dec 2012) gives readers the 8 rules they need to lose weight and change their life forever. Slim Calm Sexy Diet (Rodale, March 2012), helps readers lose weight, conquer stress, and feel and look their best every day. The O2 Diet (Rodale, Dec 2009), translates complex scientific research on antioxidants into useful and usable tools that empower people to live a more Nutritious Life. The Snack Factor Diet (Crown, 2007) illustrates that snacking helps readers become energetic, feel younger, and lose weight."

another tidbit from her blog (sound like a fan of keto?):

"Want to eat a more eco-friendly diet? There’s one simple thing you can do that will have the biggest impact: eat less meat. "

(Marc Blythe) #16

Bonnie Taub-Dix on her website discloses that she works for “global corporations , food companies”, follow the $$$

(Arlene) #17

How to manipulate people: Create fear and/or confusion, repeat. As Jo Lo states, consider the source and follow the money. When you see fear and confusion being used, consider the source highly suspect.

(Dustin Cade) #18

the average person is going to see the bold captions… they wont bother to dig any deeper… again, this is why I’ve been told that the benefits of keto are all fake… this is from a very “progressive” friend of mine…

(Barbara Greenwood) #19

I’m really enjoying my fake 56lb weight loss and my fake normal blood glucose and my fake not putting any weight back on. Clearly, I’m deluded about these beneficial changes to my health and wellbeing.

(Bacon for the Win) #20

call my a cynic, but this is always the answer.