To save the planet - make more meat!

(Karim Wassef) #1

just watch it :slight_smile:

(Karim Wassef) #2

Back to Cain and Abel… the shepherd did good… the farmer didn’t… the carb crops have made us stupid and hungry… the meat herders are the answers

:smiley:

I live in TX and cattle are key here…

(Full Metal KETO AF) #3

@Karim_Wassef Got your own herd do ya? I hope you got a horse to go with the big hat. :cowboy_hat_face:

(Karim Wassef) #4

I don’t… I personally prefer lamb meat - just don’t tell my rancher neighbors :slight_smile:

(less is more, more or less) #5

Bookmarked, thanks for posting.

(Marius the butter craving dude) #6

Abraham and Israel before it settled down into a nation state was a bunch of groups of shepherds.
In the Old Testament the commands God graved to the Temple priests was to eat the fat of the animal brought to sacrifice to cleanse themselves.

(Omar) #7

not sure I buy into that.

(Karim Wassef) #8

Buy into what? That herd animals can reverse deserts?

I think specifically it’s their dung and trampling activity. Herd animals are basically factories for processing plant matter… both ways.

(Omar) #9

elephants are the biggest destructive machines. It is well established that overpopulation of grazing animals destroy the green carpet of the savanna.

overpopulating anything consume the resources. very simple.

the desertification is mainly caused by the declination of the rain falls.

this person is full of crap

(Karim Wassef) #10

I won’t dismiss it so fast. There’s a balancing point of nature and we usually confuse cause and effect in complex systems.

For example - eating an animal will cause its extinction… maybe? Cows aren’t extinct. Chickens aren’t extinct.

It’s all about balance and harmony with nature. Overfishing can devastate a sea, but controlled fishing can keep it healthy and thriving.

(Omar) #11

Sorry I am not usually argumentative but I am as far as I can be from the presenter point of view.

So he is saying the whole world have no clue that when we bring animals back the desertification will stop. What a nonsense? oversimplification to a difficult issue.

the causes of desertification are not unknown as he claims. even simple indigenous tripes know the causes because we live them and we observe them in our life time.

Causes of Desertification

• Overgrazing: Animal grazing is a huge problem for many areas that are starting to become desert biomes. If there are too many animals that are overgrazing in certain spots, it makes it difficult for the plants to grow back, which hurts the biome and makes it lose its former green glory.

• Deforestation: When people are looking to move into an area, or they need trees in order to make houses and do other tasks, then they are contributing to the problems related to desertification. Without the plants (especially the trees) around, the rest of the biome cannot thrive.

• Farming Practices: Some farmers do not know how to use the land effectively. They may essentially strip the land of everything that it has before moving on to another plot of land. By stripping the soil of its nutrients, desertification becomes more and more of a reality for the area that is being used for farming.

• Urbanization and other types of land development. As mentioned above, development can cause people to go through and kill the plant life. It can also cause issues with the soil due to chemicals and other things that may harm the ground. As areas become more urbanized, there are less places for plants to grow, thus causing desertification.

• Climate Change: Climate change plays a huge role in desertification. As the days get warmer and periods of drought become more frequent, desertification becomes more and more eminent. Unless climate change is slowed down, huge areas of land will become desert; some of those areas may even become uninhabitable as time goes on.

• Stripping the land of resources. If an area of land has natural resources like natural gas, oil, or minerals, people will come in and mine it or take it out. This usually strips the soil of nutrients, which in turn kills the plant life, which in turn starts the process toward becoming a desert biome as time goes on.

• Natural Disasters: There are some cases where the land gets damaged because of natural disasters, including drought. In those cases, there isn’t a lot that people can do except work to try and help rehabilitate the land after it has already been damaged by nature.

(Karim Wassef) #12

I’m not willling to accept conventional knowledge since discovering that fat doesn’t make you fat. Just because something makes “common sense” doesn’t mean it’s true and that’s where I’m not willing to ignore the possibility that there may be a confounding factor that we’ve overlooked when it comes to desertification.

Basically, I believe that agriculture destroys environments. But farming is not the same as herding. Cutting down trees or overgrazing are both examples of extreme imbalance. So maybe there is a balancing point that is non-intuitive but true.

It’s similar to the idea of pulling oneself out of poverty (desert)… it’s very hard to start from zero… but with enough basic investment, you can build wealth (life).

China is at the same latitude as the Sahara but it’s not a desert. It also wasn’t always a desert. Same with the Australian outback and South America. The question is whether the lack of water is cause or effect.

Is being fat the cause of the disease or the result of the disease? If eating enough fat makes you lose weight, then maybe grazing enough wild stock makes you more green.

I respect that you don’t agree but I don’t accept “common sense” or “accepted knowledge” as basis for accepting how things work. I prefer to keep all options on the table and get science to validate.

(Karim Wassef) #13

Did klling off the bison and converting grassland to cropland farms exacerbate the dust bowl in the 1930s?

Some say yes
https://nativeamericannetroots.net/diary/233

Some say no

I would say that the drought resistant grasses and the bison that fed on them were in balance with the arid environment. But ploughing them under to raise crops simultaneous with a massive drought turned it into a near desert… that’s my read of it anyway.

(less is more, more or less) #14

Thank you for posting this, @Karim_Wassef and I agree that we low-carbers should “just watch it.”

Whether you think this is nonsense or whether Allan Savory’s proposition is the best thing since bacon-wrapped pork belly, animal husbandry is an important debate. Now that people want to launch World War III on “cow farts,” we cannot ignore that a carnivore diet means increasing the amount of animal husbandry to accommodate the globe, not just the first world.

Amen. We should always direct open inquiry in the hope of challenging our biases.

I believe I’m clueless in these things. I am motivated, however, in addressing this, since forces are arraying that will make a carnivore diet too expensive and therefore impractical.

It’s insufficient to clamor “this is nonsense” and close the door on further exploration.

(Karim Wassef) #15

Ha ha … loved that podcast… first time I hear the term “carbage” used!

(Chris) #16

Corn and soy. Look at the grasslands we’ve destroyed for these crops in the US. Those could easily be selectively grazed and brought back to health by utilizing ruminants.

(Karim Wassef) #17

I hadn’t heard of the vegan-advocacy movie called cowspiracy (the opposting story)

Here’s a commentary on that
https://www.quora.com/How-accurate-is-the-movie-Cowspiracy

(Karim Wassef) #18

I guess the reason I care about this is that many of the intelligent non-keto people I talk to about healthy eating come back with the response “how are you going to feed the world without grain crops?”

So apparently - eating grains that cause diabetes and shortens our lives is “sustainable”…

This struggle between agriculture creating “carbage” (new favorite word) food and herding creating meat is coming - there’s only so much land and resources and we need better unbiased science.

Here’s more science on grazing benefits:

Rotational Grazing:

On an aside - I would like to think that raising marine mammals (manatees) is a viable option… :smiley: there’s a lot more ocean growing seaweed (kelp) to use.

https://ambergriscaye.com/25years/huntingformanatees.html
http://floridahillbilly.com/manatee-steaks-finally/

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #19

(Doug) #20

Yes - :smile: - it takes a lot of space.

The mathematics here are fairly depressing. We’ve also got another 2+ billion people coming in the next few decades.