To much heavy cream?

(Laura dePfyffer) #1

I’m a huge coffee drinker-all day long. I switched from non dairy flavored creamer to heavy whipping cream, so i probably over use it. I’m staying well below 20 net carbs daily and in 3 weeks have gained 5 lbs🙄 I’m discouraged and feel like maybe keto isn’t for me. I was told too much heavy cream isn’t good… Thoughts or advice? Much appreciated!

(Chris) #2

Too much fat will cause you to store fat if you don’t use it all.

Also, 3 weeks is a drop in the bucket and you can’t expect healthy weight loss if your goal is not realistic. It didn’t take me 60 days to become overweight and ill, I shouldn’t expect it to take less than 60 days to reverse all of that.

Glad you’re here. :smiley:

(Carissa JB) #3

Try drinking black coffee for a week and see what happens.

I would give yourself a good two months before giving up. I switched to black coffee and noticed a big difference. I got used to drinking it black quickly. It’s also great for fasting once you’re fat adapted. It’s easier to keep track of what you eat for dinner without snacking all day and that’s when the weight melts off. HWC has carbs, I belive .4g/2Tbsp. I only eat it for dessert with berries occasionally.

(Amy Ramadan) #5

I think the three week reference was pertaining to putting on the extra give lbs and wondering if the heavy cream is the culprit!!

(Randy) #6

Just my n=1. I lost 90 lbs in 9 months on keto eating as much as I wanted. I did IF and had a 4 to 8 hour eating window most days.
I then lost nothing for 4 months. I decided to drop HWC and all alcohol. ( I wasn’t drinking a lot. Just a few shots of whiskey 2 or 3 times a month.) I’ve lost 55 lbs in the last 5 months with this change alone. I still IF and eat to satiety otherwise.

(Amy Ramadan) #7

I drink my coffee :coffee: with sugar free French vanilla creamer and it’s really good, maybe try that, or possibly just using less of the heavy cream? There is no “one size fits all” here, so you really just need to make changes, one say time and see what works for you!! Good luck!!

(Laura dePfyffer) #8

Correct, Amy. It’s hard not to be discouraged when ppl you work with are bragging about a 10lb loss in the first week, and 5 the next… Granted, they are trying to lose 50+ lbs and i have 15 to lose. Yes, i want to be healthy, but i don’t have extra energy like ppl talk about, even though my urine says im in ketosis(i know urine isn’t accurate after the first few weeks). Thank you!

(Mark Rhodes) #9

My BG will go up just from HWC. And I find measuring it out in shot glasses does not help, I eventually succumb and just have coffee in my cream. Try going without and see what happens

Is this because you are new?

(Bob M) #10

Is there an acronym list somewhere? I have no idea what HWC is, for instance.

I drink black coffee if I’m fasting for 22+ hours. Otherwise, I usually have a small amount of cream and currently a scoop of powdered MCT (medium chain triglycerides) oil. I’ll drop the powdered stuff once I run out.

Also, I’ve gone through so many tests of coffee, coffee with cream to see if my blood sugar goes up or not. If it does, it’s really bad at doing it. Note that pin-prick blood sugar monitors have terrible specs, 100% correct means they are within 15% of the real value. Since my morning blood sugar is around 100, that means a random test will be between 85 and 115. That’s too much error to determine whether coffee or coffee and cream affect blood sugar level. I also had a continuous glucose meter and used that too, and could not determine much if any rise from coffee or coffee and cream. Part of that is because my blood sugar rises from around midnight or so until about noon, then goes down all day. Any rise from coffee would be “on top of” that rise.

(Chris) #11

Heavy whipping cream

(Bob M) #12

Thanks.

To give an example, here’s an example from my continuous glucose monitor. The 5.9 (x18 = 106.2) is when I got up, and I had coffee with cream after that. If there is a rise from coffee and cream, I’ll be darned if I can tell.

(Mark Rhodes) #13

Blood Glucose (BG) will go…Heavy Whip Cream (HWC)

(Amy Ramadan) #14

I hear that!!! I have next to nothing for energy as I am still recovering from the effects of chemotherapy!!! I would love, love, love a nice burst of energy!!! Jealous you only have 15 to lose lol!! I have lost 24 so far, or so the scale says!! It’s a little discouraging because I can’t see the loss!! I am determined to stick with it and gonna start trying some new things this week as well!! I have a trip to the beach planned next week and I do worry that I will veer off track!! :frowning:

(Amy Ramadan) #15

I think there is one up here somewhere although not sure as to its exact location!! HWC is heavy whipping cream

(Laurie) #16

Yes, you are probably overusing the cream.

I used to be a huge coffee drinker too–about 30 cups a day. And I love love love whipping cream. Like @marklifestyle, I’d just as soon drink the cream with a bit of (strong) coffee in it. Whipping cream does have a small amount of carbs, and if you use a lot it adds up.

I’ve switched to black coffee. When I want a flavor boost I add a few drops of Demerara rum. I only do this two or three times a month–I’m addicted to cream, not alcohol.

Good luck!

List of acronyms (HWC, SAD, T2D, etc.) here:

(Running from stupidity) #17

OK, so two things here.

1. They are them and you are you. Comparisons are impossible because bodies are basically similar and wildly different simultaneously.

2. Generally speaking, bearing in mind point 1, losing weight at the start when you have a lot to lose looks ridiculously easy. Losing the last bit is hard. You are starting at the “losing the last bit” for most people. Consistency is key, as is experimenting with what works for you. (IKR?)

3. (Bonus point) Hang in there because there’s a LOT more benefits coming up than just weight loss.

(Dameon Welch-Abernathy) #18

The only time I put HWC in my coffee anymore is if I’m not fasting (i.e. having coffee with a meal).
Otherwise, I drink it black.

I find I don’t need that much cream in my coffee and I generally only drink 1-2/day. I have also found that since I started Keto, I drink a lot less coffee than I did pre-Keto. Try substituting some water in between coffees.