TO MCT or NOT!?

(Christy Dyson) #1

I really want to embrace this Keto lifestlye for life. I been on a diet since I was 13. Losing 100 at a time only to gain it back. Everything thing Ive learned about insulin resistance lately totally makes since about my i cant seem to get a grip on it.
SO…my new friends is MCT necessary to maintain since its kinda expensive. I am in ketosis and have more energy and focus than ever. If it IS necessary, what kind would fit my budget? Thanks in advance

(TJ Borden) #2

Some people swear by it. I’ve never tried it, and I’m doing fine. So while some may argue it has benefits, no, it’s not “necessary”.

(LeeAnn Brooks) #3

definately not necessary. Coconut oil is fine.

Many people like it though, so if you do decide to try it, one word of caution - go very easy on it until you get used to it. Like a teaspoon a day and build up from there.
MCT oil can be very rough on your digestive system if you’re not used to it.

(*Rusty* Instagram: @Rustyk61) #4

@whysoserious There is not a more truer statement within these pages. When I first started using it, I started out with a Tbl spoon. That backfired real quick. Pun intended.

You don’t have to use it, but it sure makes it easier to get extra fat into your day.

(Robert C) #5

MCT oil has its place in the pecking order of things helpful for keto. A really healthy fat that can help align your day’s macros with a squirt into a cup of coffee. It’s ease of use and assured healthy fat aspects are offset a bit by cost - it is high. If you are paying $100+ per pound for wagyu beef for its healthy fat profile - you’ll save money with MCT but, strictly not necessary. The same money spent on higher quality (going up to organic vegetables, grass fed beef and top-shelf fresh olive oil etc.) food is probably better in the long run.

I happen to keep some around but use it once in a while in coffee when I think my day will need it - but, as a daily habit, it is quite expensive. A good one on Amazon (made from coconuts instead of palm oil) is (at 2 tablespoons in a cup of coffee) about a dollar for each cup.

I strongly second @Anniegirl9 - learn from others on this one - not fun to learn on your own!

(Christy Dyson) #6

Thank you Robert. I have added real butter to my diet which was hard since I was raised to not eat fat. Butter is yummy and has some MCT right? thanks for the information

(Christy Dyson) #7

Thats great to know. I could afford a bottle once a month maybe I notice when I eat chicken I dont get enough fat so maybe on those days

(LeeAnn Brooks) #8

Funny story…

My very first Keto meal was a rocket fuel latte made with 1 tablespoon MCT oil.

Within a half hour I was in the bathroom thinking, “man, this Keto Flu kicks in fast.”

Only later did I learn it was the MCT oil.

(LeeAnn Brooks) #9

You won’t go through a bottle in a month. It can last quite a while as you only use a small amount at a time.

Do NOT use in recipies for coconut oil that call for 1/4 cup or more.

MCT oil is great for many reasons, it’s energy, it won’t store as fat, and if you get a good one (C8 chain) it packs even more energy. That said, it’s definitely not “necessary” by any means, just a great addition. As your aware the good stuff isn’t cheap, but it also lasts!

(Karen Parrott) #11

I’ve maintained a 70 pound weight loss 6+ years. Never used MTC oil. I put the money into my daughter’s college savings account and I’m glad I did.

I’m keto because I’m LC and I 18:6 fast. Inexpensive, effective (for me) and fits my wellness outcomes. I don’t do expensive keto foods, no need. No extra money. If I overdo on fat bombs, fatty coffee, well, I regain my weight. Saves money, saves buying fat pants. Kid goes to college.

(Christy Dyson) #12

cool Thanks Annie!

(Christy Dyson) #13

too funny! thanks for the warning!

(Doug) #14

Since coconut oil is over half MCTs, like 55-65%, why not just use it, versus the vastly more expensive MCT oil?

(Christy Dyson) #15

I was wondering about that too. from what I read two tablespoons butter is same as one tbsp MCT?

(Robert C) #16

Looks like a tablespoon of MCT oil has almost 13 grams of MCTs, a tablespoon coconut oil has almost 8 grams of MCTs and a tablespoon of butter has 1 gram. Good idea to make the real butter also grassfed butter.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #17

Or you could simply cook bacon! :bacon::bacon:

(Roy D Rushing Jr ) #18

Mct oil has its uses. It does provide quick, reliable energy and works pretty well as a hunger suppressant. It’ll raise the ketones in your blood and urine temporarily, almost like exogenous ketones do. I don’t think it technically helps you get deeper into ketosis or anything though. Your body just can’t do anything with it but make ketones. My opinion is that you’re probably better off feeding your body with something that’s closer to what you want it to be burning all the time. You don’t want it to get good at converting mcts into ketones. You want it to be good at converting your body fat and regular dietary fat into ketones. I’d say treat mct oil the same way you’d treat caffeine. Use it for energy and hunger maintenance when you need it, but you don’t need to take it as a daily supplement.

(less is more, more or less) #19

It is not necessary. Keto/LCHF is about simplifying our lives and letting our body take care of itself eating the right foods, not buying unnecessary stuff, like every other diet out there.

(Sarah Slancauskas) #20

I used MCT oil in the first few weeks it have decided not to continue with it. I don’t think it’s necessary and I’d rather eat the calories/ spend the money on other things. I prefer to add cream and raw butter to my freshly ground coffee. Plus you don’t need to go to the hassle of blending it because cream and butter naturally emulsify. I try to keep my diet an natural as possible in terms of food and drink choices and there’s just something gimmicky about MCT that grates on me a bit. It might be the Bulletproof link!