TMAO: another scare tactic

Oh, the things that show up on my Google headlines. The old TMAO from animal products will give you cancer, yada, yada.

Seriously though, carnitine and choline are freakin’ essential nutrients. Carnitine is a rate limiting factor for use of fats by mitochondria - the carnitine shuttle - which can be inhibited by insulin. Choline is what your liver needs to export liver fat into VLDL. Guess what happens when you don’t get adequate choline? NAFLD is what. The more fructose and alcohol you add, the worse that’s going to get.

Counterpoint :

(Carl Keller) #2

You have to love how they try to demonize the Mediterranean diet. It’s quite the paradox how their claims that TMAO is linked to greater risk for cardiac disease while the people eating this way quitely outlive most of the rest of the planet.

Here’s an article that directly contradicts the claims found in the two you linked. Granted the studies were done on rats, but still, TMAO was found to be protective:

I’m a bit slow today. …

That was written by Dr. Greger, the infamous vegan and anti-meat advocate. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Greger

(Full Metal KETO AF) #4

Well in the defense of fish, meat and eggs allthough out of context from his intent, thanks Fredrich.

“What doesn’t kill me makes me stronger”. F. Nietzsche

:cowboy_hat_face:

(Failed) #5

Very interesting post, thank you. How much is enough choline and carnitine?

I have been taking 2.4 g ALCAR in 2 does each day and 1.2 to 1.8 g Choline DL-Bitartrate in 2-3 doses each day. Along with inositol and L-Cysteine.

That would depend on if you are deficient or not. Most of us likely get plenty of carnitine if we’re eating beef on a regular basis, vegetarians might want to supplement. For choline, egg yolks and liver provide a lot but if you suspect you have NAFLD then more might be warranted. I try to get 4 egg yolks or equivalent a day.

@atomicspacebunny has been experimenting with this too.

(Bunny) #7

Just had to comment on this, I couldn’t resist:

Just add lots of refined sugar if you want to accelerate cancer with eggs!

Blame the eggs?

Same goes for fish and meat!