Timing of fasting around surgery?

Hi, Wondering if anyone has info on fasting, specifically how long before and after surgery optimizes recovery?

I’m scheduled for a D&C in a cancer centre and want to optimize my recovery.

I’m already staying in therapeutic ketosis for my diabetes control and weight loss however, fortunately I understand ketosis is helpful for cancer prevention too…so, even more motivation for me.

(Karen) #2

Good luck on your surgery. I don’t know if I’d fast but that’s just me. I think you can stay solidly in Keto with high fat instead.

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #3

I wouldn’t fast after surgery. You’ll need fuel for healing.

Thanks Karen, I am sure I will be fine. I am certain I don’t have cancer but the doctors aren’t …so I am going along with them to rule it out.
Fasting is already a prerequisite with a general anaesthetic, but that is just the day of surgery itself.
I was thinking autophagy a few days before and after may be a good thing…but I am hypothesizing and hoping someone has some actual info. :blush:

I am solidly in keto; carnivore at the moment to reduce inflammation markers.

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #5

Out of curiosity, what makes the doctors think you might have cancer?

HI Rebecca I have HPV inside my cervical cells and I am 68yo, so a very high co-relative risk. Its a 15 year time lag from virus exposure to cancer usually. Not a good sign not to have processed the HPV out. Hence worried docs. Surfeit of caution as HPV causes cervical cancer.

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #7

Ah.
I assume you are testing glucose and ketones to make sure you are at thereputic levels?

Yes indeed.

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #9

Going for a GKI of under 2-3 or close to/under 1?

Have good professional supervision for keto diet and am in perfect ratios according to dietitian.

I am pretty flat out at the moment so am focused on my question not anything else, sorry about not wanting to chat right now.

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #11

Curious as to your ratios.
I’ve been fasting and using MCT oil to get my GKI as close to/under 1 as possible

Sorry, not wanting to divert myself just now.
Caring for 93yo and cant go look for data for you.
I posted in the fasting section rather than the medical section for fasting info.

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #13

No rush, just curious :slightly_smiling_face:

I am in a rush. :slight_smile:
I have a dependent 93yo, a heat wave and my surgery in 40 hours away so am wanting to get info but unable to locate any.

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #15

My personal experience had been having good healing after diving back into my keto diet, with 16/8 IF after my surgery. Recovery was smooth, and energy was back to normal by 3-4 days later.

After about 10 days post-op I started going about 20/4 IF

Thank you very much Rebecca.
I’ll let you know my ratios after I come back with a bit more time.

I just saw my gynae-oncologist who is a pretty great surgeon.

All clear.
Have to have annual follow ups.

No proof but I believe my fasting and keeping my blood glucose levels as low as I am able over a long period helped with this outcome for me.