Timing of cholesterol labs during fasting

Question for you cholesterol hackers:
I’m one month in to keto and I’ve been dabbling in 20/4 IF this week, while also having eliminating eggs and dairy for about a week beforehand for N=1 sensitivity testing. I’m IFing for fat loss and decided to extend it overnight yesterday for autophagy. I’m now at 38 hours. My intake yesterday was 2 tablespoons of coconut oil, black coffee, water, electrolytes, and lemon juice/ACV in water at bedtime. Tthis morning I’m not hungry and I am considering extending my fast. Im really just going to play it by ear and listen to my body. I’m finding it quite fun actually. I had a lot of computer work to do yesterday, the power was out at my house for line work, so I went to the public library with my bag of salt, packets of coconut oil and water bottle, and literally worked there for eight hours straight without cravings or lack of focus. On the couple of occasions when I had strongish hunger pangs, a tablespoon of coconut oil and some sea salt did the trick. It was lovely to not have to think about food.

Here’s my question: I have a history of hypercholesterolemia although my overall risk is low due to low triglycerides high HDL and small LDL-P. Nevertheless, because of my high total cholesterol (~240 since late teens) and strong family history of CVD my doctor has recommended statins several times. I have always refused and will continue to refuse. I am due for more labs and I’m trying to decide whether to have them drawn during this now EF fast or wait until I’m refeeding and then do a 12 hour fast just for the test. I don’t want to overthink this, really I should just go get the stupid labs done, but I thought I’d throw the question out: given my current extendedish near-fasting state would my labs look better or worse? Any geek insight? Thanks so much!
PS I know enough not to tell the lab that I have been fasting for a couple of days. I’ll just tell them 12 hours.

(Duncan Kerridge) #2

From what I’ve read of @DaveKeto’s previous posts a couple of days fasting is going to elevate your total cholesterol results - which I’m guessing is not what you want your doctor to see.

True.
I’ll check out @DaveKeto posts. Thanks for pointing me in his direction.

(KCKO, KCFO) #4

This is Dave’s blog tons of info on there.