Time-restricted feeding - Satchin Panda

science
fasting

(Nick) #1

Have you seen Rhonda Patrick’s interview with Satchin Panda?

Rhonda also discussed this on Joe Rogan’s show.

Dr. Panda has been investigating the circadian clock, and how food affects it. Specifically, he found that mice – eating the same diet and same number of calories as the control group – lost body fat and increased lean body mass when their feeding window was restricted to a 9-10 hour window. The idea is that the ‘clock’ starts ticking when you have your first food of the day, and you are most insulin-sensitive for the next 9 hours or so. If you consume food, say, 12 hours after your first bite of the day, you will not digest it in an optimal way. He’s done a trial with humans, which had similar results, but the time-restricted humans ended up eating fewer calories.

Notably, he claims that anything other than water, including black coffee, starts this daily clock. If this is true, then all of us who enjoy a breakfast of black coffee may be hampering our weight loss. If you’re drinking black coffee at 8am, it means you don’t really want to be eating or drinking anything (besides water) after 5pm. Perhaps intermittent fasters are better off saving that first coffee of the day for late morning?

(Michael Wallace Ellwood) #2

Interesting. Thanks. I wonder what would be the reason for the limited time window?

Some aspect of evolution, presumably, but what, I wonder?

Yes, I usually start the day with black coffee (as well as water, ACV and sea salt). Perhaps they will have to wait until later in the day in future.

(David) #3

Did you try this with any success?

(Cheryl Meyers) #4

Rhonda Patrick has done a new interview with Satchin Panda on Found My Fitness podcast – I listened to it yesterday on RSS Radio, but the link is not up on her blog yet. He’s got a new book out: “The Circadian Code.” This piece describes the topic in general, the interview gets a lot more detailed on the science.

(Doug) #5

Totally agree that time of day makes a difference - it’s usually more advisable to eat early versus late.

Monitoring levels over time (the ‘total area under the curve’), in the following study, eating in the evening produced overall insulin levels 25-50% greater versus eating in the morning, and twice the glucose response.

This is an old post that I found when initiating my question. So I’ll use it as it does give a partial answer to my question.

I’ve seen a couple of YouTube videos that if you are practicing time restricted eating and finish your last meal before 3PM, it really helps with glucose levels. I believe Dr. Binkman mentioned it.

Has anyone tried this and have had success?

I started a little over a month ago. It has been quite difficult as I have never been a breakfast eater unless it was a sugary garbage like a muffin. Love, muffins. Haven’t had one in almost a year.

Back to topic. I found if I had my last meal about three then about 7PM, I was starved and had a tendency to snack. However, in the last couple of weeks, I have ended my meals earlier although not always by 3. No evening snack.

In the last week, my morning glucose readings have dropped below 110 with several below 100. I had one day when all my readings were under a hundred. In the weeks before this my levels were usually in the low 120s, which was a big improvement from a starting point of 180.

So, do you think this timing adjustment is the probable cause or is it just part of my progression? Have any of you had success doing this?

(Bob M) #7

It might be both. There is some evidence that eating late causes higher morning blood sugar and insulin, though